Little help choosing please - hermajesty
Hello all,

I have a Saab 1.9 tdi vector sport. Diesel auto. It's a really nice car.
I need to raise some dollars quickly and so I plan to sell this one and trade down to a cheaper one.

I think this one is worth £14000 (not too sure) and I would buy for £10k or less.

I'm considering a Golf Sport or new shape Astra Estate, so far. I occasionally need extra room for hols and moving stuff.

Any suggestions or ideas guys? I'm out of my depth here.
Little help choosing please - adverse camber
Well, no one can value your saab if you dont say how old/what mileage - Im assuming a 9-3 but it could i suppose be a 9-5 ?
colour can make a difference as well.

no one can give sensible suggestions without more info about what you want. Style, performance, handling, economy, toys, space, etc.

In general I would say that unless you are going to buy a much cheaper car (say £4 or 5K) that you are loosing a lot to dealers. You will get a low trade in and pay dealer premium when you swap. Unless you are going to do it all private in which case you have to sort of having two cars or no car for a while.
Oops.

It's a Saab 93 dec 04 plate. Mileage is 22000. Steel Grey/leather trim and usual spec.

We'd really like a prestige marque again if possible.

I wonder how easily I could sell the saab privately. That's a big lump of money for someone to come up with if there are no finance/credit card options?

Little help choosing please - type's'
Yourmajesty, I am no used car price expert but I reckon the Saab is worth £12Kish for a private sale. I have just looked at some of the on line valuation tools and looked at similar cars on Autotrader - which are going for £11-12K (some at main dealers).

I would not worry too much about a private sale at this price providing you do all the usual sensible things - i.e. wait for cheque to clear before handing the car over or make your own checks with bank if accepting bankers draft etc.
Most sensible people would not borrow this amount of money on a credit card or from a finance company when they can get much better interest rates from the AA & Nationwide etc.

This leaves you £2K short of your original estimation so I am not sure what you do next.
Little help choosing please - lordwoody
If you like the Saab but want a bit of extra room what about a 9-5 estate? Plenty about and they tend to depreciate a fair amount more than other prestige cars so they're a pretty good 2nd hand buy, and fairly reliable and solid. Are you going to be happy driving an Astra after owning a Saab? ( I ask as a 9-5 owner and long term Saab enthusiast) Having said that I would consider a Subaru-what about a 5 door Impreza or Legacy estate-mucho reliable I'm told.
The dealer has offered us £14k and is trying to source us a bargain. This will be our 4th Saab with the same dealer if we go this way. We've had a 95 saloon and loved it but an estate may be a bit too big for my liking!

I'll take a lok see at the Subarus.

Thanks for all the input, so far.

If the dealer is offering £14K I would take it, or is that conditional on you buying something else through him?

Remember that the real value of what you get in exchange isnt the same as what you get charged.
you can get a trade valuation here (from the vauxhall / glasses link):
www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/scripts/nuvv/nuvv1.asp?...0

Saab 9-3 Vector
1.9TD Diesel 4-door Saloon
6 Speed Automatic Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2004 04
Mileage: 22,000
Estimated value of your car
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £13300
Average condition: £12000
Below average condition:£10550

Thank you mark99 for that valuation tool. I got this...

Saab 9-3 Vector Sport
Year: 2004 54
Mileage: 12,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£14450
Average condition:
£13050
Below average condition:
£11600

I rang motorpoint and they offered me £11,000!!!!!!!!!

I hope Saab stick with their offer otherwise it's just too much of a loss to sell.
OK, I had missed the sport bit.

Your quote is for lower miles and newer. So for what you have, Saab 9-3 Vector Sport
Year: 2004 04
Mileage: 22,000

Estimated value of your car
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £13850
Average condition: £12500
Below average condition:£11000

On the phone many will just offer the minimum, because they havent seen the car. Some will offer higher then knock you back when you go see them. Motorpoint are a never going to offer the best p/ex but should be offering a good price on whatever you are after.

Remember it isnt the absolute values that matter its the difference. A high p/ex may come with an overpriced new car.

use the quote tool to get an idea about the value of what you are after but remember that a dealer is only in business to make a profit, and if there is no profit then there is no after sales service.

If liberating cash is the key thing you might think about private sale and using an auction buyer (like Joe Dowd). You can hire a small car for a couple of weeks to cover the intrim period for a couple of hundred if needs be.

Whats best for you to do depends on your circumstances, need for cash, urgency, convenience etc.
Little help choosing please - Mapmaker
You're going to take a big hit to get those 'dollars'. There's very little point imvho in buying another 'expensive' car to replace it - the dealer will be laughing all the way to the bank. What about borrowing the money?

Alternatively, I presume that you don't want too obvious a step down in status.

What about driving something old & a bit 'classic'? I'm thinking about a W123 Mercedes (1975ish-85ish). two or three grand - or half that - should get you a really nice example estate - one owner from new, fMBsh, 100k miles sort of thing.

This chap's cars are generally rather fully priced but these cars were produced in such numbers that there are plenty around. (I bought a 100k single owner example for £995 two years ago but sadly it was nicked within about a week.)

www.mercseller.com/popup.cfm?p_n=313896&p_i=313896

www.mercseller.com/popup.cfm?p_n=338460&p_i=338460

www.mercseller.com/popup.cfm?p_n=338738&p_i=338738