Personalised Plates - Discuss - aaflyer
What do members think of cars with personalised plates:
(a.) Flashy so-and-so who has too much money / massive ego;
(b.) Pretentious;
(c.) A good investment that makes it 'your' car;
(d.) None of the above - suggestions welcome!

I was thinking of getting one of the format 'letter, number, space and my three initials. Example: X3 WVM

Looking at the various websites, seem to be good value.

Personalised Plates - Discuss - AlastairW
Do we have to? Again!!!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - aaflyer
Alastair

Apologies if this thread has been discussed before. Relatively new so didn't know. Can I do a search to find it?

Cheers

Personalised Plates - Discuss - AlastairW
Sorry aaflyer, didnt realise you were new. Plates have been discussed before - try a forum (not site) search in the top right corner. They nearly always degenerate into a list of smutty plates seen recently.
Personally I dont see the point of them - the plate I have is personal to me and unique (i hope). The car is the important thing, IMO
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Dynamic Dave
Can I do a search to find it?

Yes - with the forum search (just under where you log in / out.)

Don't confuse it with the site search though:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33878

But by all means continue discussions here if you so wish (providing they aren't too risqué of course)
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Civic8
I really dont care what plate anyone has,nor the car they own,But I do care when drivers think they own the road and dont think about anyone else in there path.

Apart from that you are welcome to have personalised plate, I really dont care!!
--
Steve
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Armitage Shanks {p}
If your name is Jim and you have a plate F984JIM, for example why do we care and how do we know it is your name anyway? I think that, if you really want to tell us your name the answer is to print out a sign and put it in your back window "If you can read this, good day, my name is Jim" Costs peanuts, saves you messing about with wrongly spaced letters and bolts and save enough money for lots of beer and pies! Personalised plates are a load of p*nts!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - PhilDews
I have a personalised plate - my motives are as follows:

1. Everyone knows its my car, so if it is obstructing someone, they know who to ask
2. I don't need to change my fuel card everytime I get a new car
3. It looks much better than XX 04 XXX

Each to their own, but my plate (and my fathers also) are nice touches. I don't do this messing with bolts - Mine is obvious enough with out it.
------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
My manners must be deserting me -

A big "WELCOME" to the forum from me :-)
-----
"Everyone knows its my car" - not really! I don't for one!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Civic8
>>Everyone knows its my car" - not really! I don't for one!

But then who cares,"I dont"This one could go on for ages,But what difference does it make whether private or standard, its still a plate on a car whatever car it is!
--
Steve
Personalised Plates - Discuss - David Horn
If someone wants to spend their money on a personalised plate - well, that's their perogative. Annoys me when people use scripted letters or put bolts in to change letters. (Or even put some letters / numbers backwards!)
sorry, didn't explain myself too well.

I wasn't referring to the general public when I said 'everyone knows its my car', but to the people I deal with at work. I'm a buyer for a housebuilder, which means that I have to visit sites. This can often mean leaving the car precariously parked. So the fact that my plate spells my surname means that I'm asked to move instead of a delivery driver scraping the side of my car.

Another plus point is that being an easily remembered plate means I drive more sensibly.. !!

-----
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Stuartli
>>Another plus point is that being an easily remembered plate means I drive more sensibly.. !!>>

Or get up to any mischief...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Marc
Very few plates seem to be genuinely personal ie of any relevance.

The majority (IMO) just seem to be something which masks the age of the vehicle. Why people feel this needs to be done I'm not sure.

However, virtually 80% of all the BMW X5s I see have plates beginning with X5
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Pugugly {P}
The five carries a 1960 county related plate which I acquired years ago on aquiring PU towers, not connected to me or my initials, it preservs a little bit of history, cost me nuffin only the transfer cost when I change my car. I like it.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - cheddar
(a.) Flashy so-and-so who has too much money / massive ego; i.e 5EXY.

(b.) Pretentious; I.e 130SS to make "Boss".

(c.) A good investment that makes it 'your' car; I.e. Simple neat plate A1ABC.

Personalised Plates - Discuss - mss1tw
Round my way there are Mercs with WINNR and FLUSH as the plate. Those actually annoy me. Most other plates just seem rather pathetic to me. Apologies to any personalised reg aficionados.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - mrmender
What do members think of cars with personalised plates:
(a.) Flashy so-and-so who has too much money / massive ego;
(b.) Pretentious;

Evey one of the above goodnight mm
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Aprilia
They usually spell out 'PRAT' to me...

I'd like to see the coppers nick a few - e.g. B16 altered to 'BIG', a 17 altered to upper case 'n', and a car locally has been running around for a few years with everything wrongly spaced and a '2' altered to look like a 'Z'.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - PhilW
Mine's personalised - well at least I have never seen another car with the same number.
I think "personalised" plates are daft - but each to their own -if you like 'em get one. I also find it quite entertaining to spot them (personalised plates)and try to interpret what they are supposed to mean - I suspect that most only mean something to the owner - fair enough.
Mind you, if PH 1 L ever came up for £100 on an X5 I might be tempted!!
--
Phil
Personalised Plates - Discuss - tanvir
There's an Elise with DA51LVA (to spell Da Silva, presumably) which I find quite cool
There's an Elise with DA51LVA (to spell Da Silva, presumably) which
I find quite cool

What does 'Da Silva' mean? I'm a bit out of touch with 'modern culture'.
It's um er a Surname.
Oh right. I thought it was maybe a rock group or something or some kind of Afro-Carribean slang....
Personalised Plates - Discuss - greenhey
Occasionally they are witty , like a guy I once knew who had a lingerie business and had BRA 42B.
But sadly the vast majority are not original or witty and to me just signal the ego problems of the owner .
My reaction with most of them is- that must have cost you £500 or whatever- you could have bought a better car with that
- you could have bought a better car

Yep, like a smoker's pack in a BM ! (joke)
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Clanger
I have a personal plate with letter, number, space and my initials. I wanted it, I bought it; my choice. It's legal and is probably less likely to be cloned than other plates. I don't think I'm a prat, am pretentious, have too much money or a massive ego, but who does?

Mrs H also has a personal plate; unrelated to her name. It came with the unlamented Volvo 760 and, although having previously agreed to do so, I refused to transfer it off the Volvo when the dealer, having previously agreed to do so, refused to fix the broken air-con.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Personalised Plates - Discuss - storme
i paid my money for something i wanted

some of you saying that i could have spent the money on a better car, are talking rubbish

the same could be said if you smoke/drink/gamble

why dont you stop doing any of those and spend the money on a better car..???

i like my plate and will hopefully keep it till i die

if u have any bad thoughts about someone having something like this...then u are obviously jealous or just pain nasty

its only a number plate.....
--
www.storme.co.uk
Personalised Plates - Discuss - quizman
I don't really like personalised number plates as I like to go around incognito. But as my initials are PB, and PB is issued in Preston, I have been looking to find a car with my initials on. You see I don't want to pay extra.
I have never seen a PB, even when going to Preston, but there are plenty of AF's about. I might change my name.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - machika
If people want to spend their money on them, it's fine by me, but not the alterations to letters, numbers and spacing, which surely is illegal and should be stopped.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - bell boy
its only a fine with no points and no criminal record thats why people do it (mess with numbers /dots/etc) and dont care of the consequences as the fine is £30/60 i cant remember.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Vansboy
I considered my plate part of the promotion of our business, when it was on my van, now it's on the Omega it'sstill for my benifit & possibly investment value.

VAN580Y spaced accordingly of course.

Mrs V (Debbi) did have DEB 50V on our Jaguar Sovereign.

She now has B11DGN on her Mx5. Means nothing to most, but our surname is Budgen.

Waste of £$£$ or not, still better than original numbers.

VB
Personalised Plates - Discuss - brg190 pete
I saw the plate LO 04 POO on a van with loads of portaloos on the back. Childish, I know, but it did make me and my daughter laugh.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Lud
In the sixties I was amused to see a silver S type Bentley with the number plate PEN15. The thing that made me laugh was that I had my deteriorating R type at the time and was in classical 5-days-a-week psychoanalysis (very expensive these days but I wd recommend it to anyone). I was grumbling about the way I had let the poor old Bentley get tattier and tattier, and my shrink reminded me that in Freud's theory any machine appearing in a dream was a symbol for, guess what?

I couldn't help wondering whether the owner of PEN15, who must have been a lot richer than me, had also been in analysis.
If I remember correctly it was Steve Parrish who owned PEN 15 - he was a truck racing driver. Don't know if he still has it?

www.steveparrishracing.com/
-----
"They nearly always degenerate into a list of smutty plates seen recently"

Didn't take long.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Hugo {P}
Lets stay away from smutty plates, or at least discuss them with some dignity.

Personalised plates that promote businesses can be quite an asset IMO. If I could find a THS without a prefis or suffix for reasonable money (poss private sale) I may go for it.

My only real gripe is when the number plates get "modified" to the extent that they are difficult to make out. IIRC the DVLA can confiscate them if they are abused, but I've never actually heard of this happening.

H
VAN580Y spaced accordingly of course.

My point is the spacing should be as stipulated by the DVLA, not in accordance with the owner's wishes.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Roly93
I dont really like personalised plates, HOWEVER........
They do serve one good purpose which must annoy the motor trade, in that they cover up the age of a car and stop people from needlessly changing vehicles just to get the new reg. I have always felt that the government has deliberately gone with the number plate format we now have to further stimulate the motor trade. It was bad enough when we only had one change per year, while no other country in Western Europe has licence plates which so clearly illustrate the age of a car.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Murphy The Cat
I've got personalised plates and they make me happy. I couldn't give a flying stuff what anyone else thinks about them - the end.

MTC
Personalised Plates - Discuss - hxj

My daughter desperately wants one, trouble is she goes by the name of 'Cari'.

Any idea what the cost of CAR 1 might be ...
I've got personalised plates and they make me happy. I
couldn't give a flying stuff what anyone else thinks about them
- the end.
MTC

As long as you haven't messed around with the letters and spacing, I couldn't give a stuff either!
>>
As long as you haven't messed around with the letters and
spacing, I couldn't give a stuff either!

Why does anyone give a stuff either way?
>> >>
>>
>> As long as you haven't messed around with the letters
and
>> spacing, I couldn't give a stuff either!
>>

Couldn't have said it better that either of theses two posters.

The spaces aren't messed with.
I'm happy.
DVLA got some money so they're happy.
What's for other people to be upset about ? How does it affect anyone else ?
Mabye folks should find something that gives them some pleasure, and enjoy themselves a bit.

MTC
>> >>
>>
>> As long as you haven't messed around with the letters
and
>> spacing, I couldn't give a stuff either!
>>

Because if the spaces, letters or numbers (including the font) are messed around with, it can make reading the plates difficult. They need to be easily read, for obvious reasons.
Hi machika

I was agreeing with you, it's just the way that the quote/copy came out !

MTC
Personalised Plates - Discuss - local yokel
Agree with Roly - the age-related plate has always turned owning a car into a competitive sport to see who can have the newest plate. In the days when we had a large domestic car industry there may just have been some benefit to the economy, but that's harder to see now.

Some friends had HAA 7, (a Southampton no.) issued at new, and kept it on subsequent cars, which was fair enough, but the people who use spacing and the black screw covers to make a letter(s) out of a numeral etc do strike me as needing to get out more. There#s at least one removals co. that has its company initials on the trucks, which seems fine, but my favourite was the Chanel van with (I think) NO 5.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - henry k
>>... but my favourite was the Chanel van with (I think) NO 5.
>>
Yes, several times I have seen NO 5 on a highly polished black van at Hatton Cross, Heathrow.
There is a family near me who have, to them, the ultimate plates.
They have a three letter oriental family name and have three cars each with their name and 1, 2 and 3
Fully legal and no funny fonts.

Another family nearby have three cars each with a letter and 50FAT on them. Not quite so good.
"While no other country in Western Europe has licence plates which so clearly illustrate the age of a car."

um - Ireland as well.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - mike hannon
And at least in Ireland it's straightforward - or do people in the UK really want the rest of the world to think their cars were new in 1955?
When I worked in a Southern UK city some years ago the chairman of the magistrates owned a company called Hi-Tech. His Range Rover carried the reg H17ECH, suitably spaced. Now that's what I call cheeky...
It's funny for this to come up today, I was following a "06" Irish truck earlier and wondering to myself whether the plate change happened there in January or not. How mad is it to have a plate that reads 55 running until March, Why March for goodness sake, why not April at least that would link in to the fiscal year. Why completly overhaul the registration system and turn it into such a mess when the oppertunity was there to simplify the whole process ?
Personalised Plates - Discuss - mike hannon
Exactly. Here in France there is a simple system - every time a car is new, changes owner or departement (county) it gets a new plate, so there's no one-upmanship over age, and the plate ends with the departement number so you can tell quickly where it's from. Now this system is to be changed into something as incomprehensible as the one in the UK. Why do civil servants always have to meddle?
The French system sounds as though it was created by someone with shares in a number plate factory! I a UK car got a new plate everytime the owner moved or the car changed hands we'd be out of numbers in a couple of years! Our system isn't great but it isn't mad!
Exactly. Here in France there is a simple system - every
time a car is new, changes owner or departement (county) it
gets a new plate, so there's no one-upmanship over age, and
the plate ends with the departement number so you can tell
quickly where it's from. Now this system is to be changed
into something as incomprehensible as the one in the UK. Why
do civil servants always have to meddle?

IIRC, the current UK system was dreamed up at the request of the SMMT, who allegedly wanted to 'spread the August peak'.
Another part of the UK (Northern Ireland) of course uses a system based on the city or county of registration. Seems quite a logical system and is dateless. However I gather they are intending to move to the system used in the rest of the UK, with the first letter being an 'I'.
>>His Range Rover carried the reg H17ECH, suitably spaced. Now >>that's what I call cheeky...

I assume you mean the 1 and the 7 were separated? That is what should be banned.

If, after the first offence the fines were increased, or maybe the car was towed away, pending payment of the fine and (say) the cost of towing away, then perhaps the owners of these plates would stop messing about with them.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - sack o'spanners
Sorry to keep the tone low, but I remember a Rolls in Cardiff 20 years ago wearing deleted - as per above warnings - DD I seem to remember this featured by Esther Rantzen on That's life. Slightly more tasteful, the guy who ran Mr Travel in Cardiff had a Saab with FLY 21 T. BTW in both cases it's my spacing rather than theirs.
If, after the first offence the fines were increased, or maybe the car was towed away,
pending payment of the fine and (say) the cost of towing away,
then perhaps the owners of these plates would stop messing about with them.

>>

There are also tiny number plates often seen on high powered bikes and "funny" cars.
Yet another variation is to have spidery characters on a flowery background making it almost impossible to read.
www.olavsplates.com/index.html
gives some examples of various illegal plates

I wonder how long it will be before a confidential phone line, similar to the DVLA one, or an email address is introduced for reporting non standard plates.
As an alternative I can imagine traffic wardens earning some extra bonuses as a reward for photographic evidence.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Vin {P}
I have a plate that spells my name perfectly acceptably (V11NNN) with no need for any kind of dodgy spacing or bolts. I reckon that by the time I pop my clogs (assuming I reach the same age my Dad did) it'll have cost me £20 a year. I like it. I don't care if others don't like it; it's a free world.

V
Personalised Plates - Discuss - bell boy
mine was free i bought the car i swapped the plate im still in profit
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Ian (Cape Town)
locally, you can buy your "own" plate up to a max 7 letters/numbers - as we are in the Western Cape Province, that means you get (your choice)-WP.
So there's tons of Joe-WP or JSMITH1-WP etc etc.
Quite an expensive party, and applications have to go through a process to ensure they are not offensive. (Though a young lady of Asian extraction managed to register her name - n***-WP, which caused an uproar - www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_i...4 )

Apologies mods - did not realise that would cause the filter to kick in - must be set up for traffic wardens etc!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Robbie
Saw this on a parked BMW at Tesco and wondered what it meant: TH KOP. When I got up to the front of the car I could see that it was T11 KOP. The ones had a black rivet between them to make them look like an H.

Obviously a football addict.
Might have been a dyslexic policeman!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Peter D
Tweaked registration plates and inappropriate fonts are now being detected by the vans you see about and fines issued. They also use the 3 strikes and your out rule. So on the third fine your registration is cancelled and DVLA retain the registration for life. Owner has to pay the fine and re-registation fee for the original plate. Regards Peter
Personalised Plates - Discuss - FP
So there is a just god in heaven? (Or in the DVLA, at least.) I'm impressed.
It still amazes me that anyone other than the competent authorities minds about rivets, misshapen letters or numbers and 'smutty' registrations. All part oof life's rich tapestry if you ask me.

People undergoing psychotic episodes quite often imagine that car number plates are sending them secret messages. Indeed when I see my own initials on a number plate, which happens fairly often, I start ruminating about what it all means and tend to give that car a slightly wider berth than usual.

In California, and perhaps other states in the US, it seems people can have any number plate they want provided it doesn't exist already. 'WALLY'. 'MINGER'.

Why do people care?
With apologies to the ops, Jasper Carrot once did a story about a US Car with the plate 'b*****'.
Yes, I'm sure they allow rows of asterisks.
well, it rhymes with the famous South African cricketers Shaun and Graeme.
And a type of fish.
I'm sure you'll get the message - and the plate ended with o and x.
well, it rhymes with the famous South African cricketers Shaun and
Graeme. the plate ended
with o and x.

Shaun and Graeme Botox? Never heard of them.
BBC2 last night, 'Balderdash and Piffle', anyone else see it? A tabloid frivolous piece on people disputing the first use of neologisms, it interestingly covered 'bog standard', recently discussed in another thread, which the OED apparently thought dated from the 80s, how about that for ignorance, and 'minger' which apparently means: 'ugly or unattractive person'. At last I know.
It still amazes me that anyone other than the competent authorities
minds about rivets, misshapen letters or numbers and 'smutty' registrations. All
part oof life's rich tapestry if you ask me.
Why do people care?

Because registration numbers are used to identify cars, that's why. Anything that alters the registration to make it look like something else makes identification more difficult, which is not something you want to do if trying to trace a car involved in an accident, for example.

Tweaked registration plates and inappropriate fonts are now being detected by
the vans you see about and fines issued. They also use
the 3 strikes and your out rule. So on the third
fine your registration is cancelled and DVLA retain the registration for
life. Owner has to pay the fine and re-registation fee for
the original plate. Regards Peter

Sounds like a good idea to me.

"Obviously a football addict"
Or a student of South African history...
The Kop = The head.
Maybe he is a schoolmaster?
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Hamsafar
Far cheaper to get a hand held Brother labeller and make your own KAYLEIGH & BAZZA type slogan and stick it at the bottom of the plate. We have one at work, and I did "VOLVO - Chutzpah comes as standard" for a colleague with a V40.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - DrS
Got made redundant.
Bought a cheap old BM, E reg, looked clean.
Bought a cheap DRS xxx H number plate (Like 35 quid), so that the car didn't look too old.

Got another job.
Liked the plate, decided to keep it on my new car. Let's call it R1.
Sold the BM to the girl next door, DVLA put the original number back on it.

Got a better job.
Got a better motor. R2
Transferred "my" number to my new car, R2.
Traded in R1.

DVLA hadn't caught up with the number plate changes, and issued the original number from the old BM again.
Dealer was well miffed at getting an E reg on what suould have been an X reg motor.

Spent about two hours trying to explain this to DVLA.
Ended up "replacing the receiver" in frustration.

Dialled back, and simply told them that by some amazing fluke, they had issued me a new number for my car, which - unbelievably - was identical to the number on my next door neighbour's car!
Certainly got their attention, and got the matter sorted in minutes!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - MichaelR
I think it depends entirely on what car it's fitted to.

I see personal plates fitted to completely standard Mondeo LX's and cannot help but think 'Whats the point'?

But then a nice plate on a prestige or performance car looks good - your initials in a Civic Type R, or similar.

I intend to get a personal plate to go on the 530i when I find one - they are only £250 from the DVLA, after all.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - looking4car
They all look like legalised graffiti to me.

I can imagine the owners scribbling 'kilroy woz ere' on their school desks.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - greenhey
Out this afternoon, saw a very shiny , apparently new, metallic blue X5 with one very self-satisfied looking driver.
He had sloping italic number plates as

X5 BLUE ( where the "58" had been made to read "5 B")

About 30 grands worth of fairly classy car made to look naff. I bet he has knicker blinds at home, an earring in one ear and drinks Stella.
As us Liverpool supporters remind Chelsea fans " You can't buy class"
As us Liverpool supporters remind Chelsea fans " You can't buy
class"

A certain well-known Zimbabwean with Liverpool FC connections has a Nissan double-cab 4X4 with the plates JNGLMN-ZN (Jungleman).
My kids dig it!
Personalised Plates - Discuss - turbo11
My boss was offered the plate RD1. He declined saying he reckoned anyone who had need of a personalised plate had a personality disorder.I tend to agree.
My boss was offered the plate RD1. He declined saying
he reckoned anyone who had need of a personalised plate had
a personality disorder.I tend to agree.

No one has "need" for a personal plate, but lots of people want one

MTC

>>
No one has "need" for a personal plate, but lots of
people want one

Of course MTC is right. And what is wrong with a bit of harmless egotism? It's a question of the individual's psychology. A scowling blinged-up thug with the number plate 'THUG 1' will not be popular. Others are far more innocent. Why is it assumed that this small, inoffensive bit of display means the person is pushy and loud?

They may be a retiring type whose mischievous brother-in-law has given it to them as a present to embarrass them, and they may be too soft-hearted not to use it.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Statistical outlier
I can't see the harm in them. I'd like one, but probably not for the same reason as most people. I've got a 55 reg car, I would have liked to put a 53 plate on it (that didn't look personalised) so the car didn't look as if it was new. I'd just like to avoid looking flash.

Anyway, in the end, I decided that I didn't £250 want to have a 53 plate, so I didn't do it. I can't see the harm in it tho, unless it's respaced or custom letters, in which case I believe that they are making changes to the law, outlined above, that means that you'll be caught anyway. Harmless fun otherwise, and I draw my own conclusions about the drivers from the plates.

Anyway, I've got alloys and that's a far more pointless piece of vanity - they are actually less practical, make the car not ride as well and are far more prone to damage than standard steel wheels would be. Okay, there's some assumptions about weights and having lower profile tyres mixed in there, but in the main I think that's a fair summary. Yet I, and the majority, get them because they look nice. Who's the fool?

Gord.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - Union Jack
Harmless fun indeed and I certainly don't buy all the chippy posts about egotism and flashness.

IMHO no more egotistical or flash than deciding that a particular car looks better in one colour rather than another - I firmly believe that a neat number plate contributes to a car's overall on-road presence, as I said in the recent thread on car colours.

Conversely, I believe that the current style of numbering actually detracts from the appearance of an otherwise nice looking car.

Do I have a personalised plate? I certainly do, and am in the happy position of having X II XXX, where the Xs neatly encapsulate my first initial and my entire surname, and the II (on perfectly legally spaced and printed plates) looks like spacing rather than a number. It sets off the car very nicely, and yes, I do have a Union Flag on my plates rather than the dreaded circle of fairy lights.

Jack

PS Turbo 11 Re " ...anyone who had need of a personalised plate had a personality disorder. I tend to agree". I tend to disagree, as my post suggests, and I would respectfully suggest that most Back Roomers would consider a preference for personalised plates is probably much less of a personality disorder than deliberately damaging other people's cars, whatever the provocation.
I see personal plates fitted to completely standard Mondeo LX's and cannot help but think 'Whats the point'?

Don't be fooled, from my local knowledge there's a couple knocking around here including an original K plate style Mondeo, and the owner is seriously minted, the only differnece with the bling brigade is that it's very old money and that plate probably appeared on a Lanchester or something before the war !
Does money improve with age, like some wine? What a load of balderdash people talk.
Personalised Plates - Discuss - No FM2R
>>Does money improve with age, like some wine?

No, but its owners seem to.