Vectra niggles! - markj2210
Hi,
Has anyone got an opinion on wether you should put 2 new tyres on the front or the back?

Ive still got my Vectra 1.8 LS(170k) and she's pretty well looked after me so I treated her to two new tyres Mich pilots (nice) cause the fronts were a bit baldy.

Now, I asked the garage to put the new ones on the back and my dad said "you dont wanna do that"! (as they do).

I had a golf a few years back and a mate gave me some tyres that were old but looked ok. I put them on the back and nearly wrote the car off in a spin doing 20mph round a roundabout.

So......front or back?????

One more thing thats driving me up the wall. My passenger side wiper makes screeching noises even tho I have changed both blades and the drivers side glides over silently.

It looks as if the passenger one dosn't 'flip over on the upstroke sometimes'. Back one makes a racket and all.
Thanks for any advice guys.

Mark.
Vectra niggles! - Statistical outlier
Back.
Vectra niggles! - Number_Cruncher
For the tyres question, see:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37852&...f

I tend towards the view that if all of your tyres are in reasonable nick, then it doesn't really matter where they are fitted.

If, however, you are quite bold*, and like to run tyres down to the absolute minimum tread depth before replacing, the heavily worn tyres should be on the front - to prevent oversteer in the wet. Again, in the dry, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

There isn't any legal requirement to have your tyres fitted in any kind of wear related pattern, as long as they individually have adequate tread.

The wiper problem souns like the arm not being parallel to the screen.

Number_Cruncher

* please forgive the pun

Vectra niggles! - markj2210
I was hoping you would say the back. He He.
Can't wait to speak to the old boy!

He's going a bit thread bare and all!
Is it worth replacing the wiper arms or can they be easily adjusted?

Cheers

Mark
Vectra niggles! - Number_Cruncher
See if this thread is any help:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14758&...f

Particularly the post by none at the end of the thread.

Vectra niggles! - Dynamic Dave
Did you just replace the rubber blades, or did you replace the blade carrier assembly as well?

If the former, then it could be that the blade carriers that are worn.
Vectra niggles! - Hamsafar
All the tyre manufacturer websites I have seen which state a preference say BACK, but like you my Dad always said FRONT until I showed him. It must be something to do with the olden days.

Maybe the wiper arm is twisted, (the part you don't replace.)
I one opened the bonnet and then later lifted the wipers up, then it rained and I went inside, it carried on raining and in the evening, I went out and shut th bonnect and it was stuck, it was beding a wiper, oops, I let it go back on the windcreen, it looked OK, but didn't work well, I found the arm has twisted, and the blade was not 90 degrees to the glass, so I had to bend it back and it was OK.