2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Mark (Brazil)
What I think of the Xantia?.

I was given a Xantia Estate as a replacement car (my Audi broke itself). The first one had leather seats, the second does not. Other than that they are identical.

As its not a car I would normally drive, I thought I?d write down what I think. Subjective, of course. At least it will give David loads of things to argue with me about !! ;-)

Firstly, I think it?s a good looking car, much better looking than the Xantia saloon. I have a deep, dark, green colour, and the interior is black, so it really looks pretty good.

The lights are pretty bad. Even when I have been on a dark, unlit road, alone with no other lights to detract from the impact, the Xantia?s lights are bad. I know David has commented on the dip, but I think the main beam is pretty awful as well.

On the subjects of lights, then the interior lights are pretty feeble also. There?s quite a delay in them coming on (why do they have to fade up & down ?), and they really are not good enough to read something in the car. Neither are the side ones very easy to reach.

I found the engine ? 16v petrol 2.0 thingy - pretty uninspiring. I am not a particularly fast driver, but I found that this engine was pretty bland unless it was revved hard, and not great even then.

On the other hand, it seems to do quite a lot to the gallon, not that I actually measured it or anything, it just seemed frugal.

The seats are comfortable enough of themselves, but I found them low. Even with my seat on its highest setting, and I?m 6ft, I still felt like I was sitting quite low within the vehicle. I think if you were a short person, then you would probably feel like the seating position was too low compared to the window, dash and windscreen height.

I wouldn?t mind if the seats were a bit more ?grabby? to avoid falling sideways, but since its not a car to throw around, its not really a major issue..

What are those silly door pockets about ? The inside door handle hinges back to reveal a thin, narrowing pocket, just about big enough for a packet of cigarettes, but sadly not big enough to get the cigarettes back out again without getting out of the car and lowering your hand parallel to the door.

The air conditioning isn?t very good. And I did have it serviced, or whatever they do. The ?auto? setting takes a weak approach to cooling the car, on full blower it is very noisy, and the AirCon cops out completely when the external temperature reached 47° C, although I guess that isn?t likely to be an issue in the UK. I have no idea how the heating is, I?ve never used it. Strangely it seems to get the back of the car much colder than it does the front.

I loved the automatic windscreen wipers. Changing speed, interval and even on and off, depending on the wetness of the windscreen ? how does it do that ? I found it slightly irritating that even if one has left it on automatic, if you switch off and on the engine, you have to take them off automatic and put them back on for it to work. However, I loved them.

Liked the dashboard. Well set out, easy to read, all the information, but without the christmas lights effect. All of the controls are very easy to reach, and quite logical. I didn?t particularly like the placing of the side mirror adjuster, vertical on the door, but how often do you use them anyway,

The temperature thing is wildly inaccurate, but I guess that could be a one off. I also find the fact that you can switch the display to show the date a little sad.

The handbrake and the armrest are incompatible. The handbrake is underneath the armrest, and can only be operated if you lift the armest out of the way first. Not a big thing, but irritating.

Despite the fact that the engine is uninspiring, it is smooth and competent. It certainly is fine in traffic, or cruising. But it clearly isn?t a ?boy racer?s? engine, nor is it supposed to be. However, it does the job.

Actual cabin space is good. I?m quite large, my father is larger. With me, my wife, my father & mother, two dogs and Camilla in the car, it was still perfectly comfortable. My Father is 6?2¨and even with the seat on its highest setting had no headroom issue at all, although the car does not have a sunroof. The space behind the seats (the ?estate? bit) is large, with a nice flat floor, low loading, and no silly lip at the back. Also, a nice shelf and extendable cover for the whole thing ? which is especially useful in high-risk parking areas.

The suspension was difficult to assess ? at least by me. I do accept someone else?s point that given the type of cars I normally drive, it isn?t a fair comparison. However, when fully loaded the car still behaved ? a good thing, since that load even affects the Audi. When on my own, it was good, but wasn?t the ?startlingly good? that I remember from driving older Citroens years ago. Maybe that simply means other cars are catching up.

Slightly disconcerting sometimes in traffic, when the car seems to take the idea into its head to briefly raise or lower by an inch or so. ? it seems to be connected with how much braking I?m doing, and whether or not I sit there with my foot on the brake. ? def. Weird though.

Also, the setting for ?bumpy? roads, damn near shook all my teeth out, even when the car was loaded with people. On my own, I thought my eyeballs would fall out. And no, I didn?t make a mistake and put it on the really high setting in error.

I have driven it mostly around ?town?, but I did do one long journey over normal (i.e. pretty bad) Brazilian roads, and after 4 hours in the car, I got out feeling pretty good. No more tired than I would have felt in the Audi.

It handles pretty well, still not sports car level, of course, but pretty good for an estate car. It certainly feels sure footed, even in the rain. Sorry, I don?t know what tyres its wearing, but they?re not noisy either.

All in all, I?d buy one. Its pretty, its competent, it seems very reliable, and its surprisingly large. Adriana likes it, and repeatedly borrows it, which is no mean endorsement in itself. Its very comfortable at high-speed, uneventful cruising, and very maneuverable around town.

Build quality seems very good ? nothing is broken or not working. Nothing has fallen off. Everything seems pretty solid, except those bloody stupid door pockets.

Load space is excellent, rear passenger comfort seems very good, including leg and head room, everything is easy to use ? if only they?d do something about those lights.

Mark.
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Andy Bairsto
Hello Mark,The xantia is an obsolite vehicle in Europe ,I believe production ended in Dec last year.
regards Andy
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Mark (Brazil)
still people bying them though, so not built anymore rather than obsolete, I think.
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Andy Bairsto
point taken
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Ian Cook
Mark

A nice report - good mixture of objective and subjective.

Your quote: "Also, the setting for ?bumpy? roads, damn near shook all my teeth out, even when the car was loaded with people. On my own, I thought my eyeballs would fall out. And no, I didn?t make a mistake and put it on the really high setting in error"

The setting you refer to is not for bumpy roads. It's a setting that allows the car to ride a little higher to give better ground clearance, and Citroen recommends that speed is kept down. I used it once and agree that it's a quick way to lose teeth.

To me, the fact that a car's obsolete makes no difference. It's no worse a car for being replaced, even if its replacement is better.

Ian
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - David Withers
I very much enjoyed reading this report. It should be quite helpful to anyone looking at the Xantia, new or secondhand, and was interesting to read even if not thinking of buying that model. Many thanks, Mark.
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - David W
Mark,

So fair, good and bad, I've nothing to add.

Bear in mind you have found this newish car reasonably acceptable despite normally driving some expensive/impressive vehicles.

Now you'll understand why the budget buyers around £1500 - £3000 for an earlier TD (that still is well bolted together) are over the moon with them.

David
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Honest John
Excellent report, Mark.

HJ
Re: 2500km in a Citroen Xantia - Colin Standing
Mark; impressive. How do you do it.

No kidding, I could not write down parallel comments about the car I've had for 4 years and drive every day.

Must get to night school and sign on for something called 'positive thinking'.

Cheers Colin S
Re: Advice needed, please. - The Real Bogush
"Now you'll understand why the budget buyers around £1500 - £3000 for an earlier TD (that still is well bolted together) are over the moon with them."

So what would be DW's (or anyone else's) thoughts on R reg petrol Xantias with aircon for under £4000 from a main dealer, with years warranty?

Specifically a 2.0 16v SX with 50k and 1.8 16v SX with 30k on the clock.

My old Granada finally died today and its a choice of a quick hassle free deal in the next two days, or possibly weeks of hassle with no transport while I get time to look for a good private/auction deal.

NB the Xantia is probably the ideal car for trips to the outlaws, beyond bandit country, past the back of beyond, in Ireland, where a BX was the only car that didn't continually scrape along the "roads" due to the height adjustment!
Xantia advice. - David W
Bogush,

Mostly the TD Xantias are more in demand. Even if you have good reason to want a petrol now be assured it will not be so popular when selling in a few years.

Remember Xantias depreciate like hell. What seems cheap this month will seem expensive by the summer.

If you have no trade-in do you really need the main dealer benefits. You may well save £500 - £1000 elsewhere.

Feel free to mail me with a specific query.

David
Re: Xantia advice. - Mark (Brazil)
thank you people, nice of you to say so.