Honda v. Volvo - paulvm
I am about to change car from my second Seat Alhambra 20VT, both of which have been excellent for over 100,000 miles apiece. Choice is down to Honda Accord Tourer or Volvo V50, with the Honda FRV as an outsider. I often have 5 people on board and still do trips to college/university, so space is required. Test drives have confirmed the great quality of the Honda diesel, but any thoughts or comments would be welcomed!
Honda v. Volvo - Statistical outlier
The Honda is a *lot* larger than the Volvo. It's more the size of a V70. If you're not fussed about a 6 speed box, then you may still be able to get a bargain on the outgoing 2005 model Accord, which wil save you about £3-4k over the 2006 model.

I have only been a passenger in a Volvo, but it seemed nice enough.

Previous thoughts on the Honda from me are here:

snipurl.com/ozga

Gord.
Honda v. Volvo - Statistical outlier
Oh, one thing I didn't mention. The Honda has 3 3-point belts in the back, but while 2 can sit extremely comfortably, the middle seat doesn't look that comfy to me. Might be worth checking.
Honda v. Volvo - s61sw
paulvm,

I would imagine a V50 would be a squeeze for 3 across the back, if my (bigger) Volvo S60 is anything to go by.

S6 1SW
Honda v. Volvo - Martin Wall
Have you looked at the Volvo V70 instead of the V50? It's a lot bigger and is available with large discounts - typically £4000 off is what I've seen advertised....