Which oil - 1996 1.8 D Endura Fiesta - markengland
Hi - can anyone clarify which oil I should be using in a 1996 (mark 4) 1.8 diesel Fiesta, with the Endura engine please? It has covered just over 50K miles, which I believe to be genuine. I probably do around 12-14K miles a year, should I be doing 6-month/6K mile changes? I don't have a manual for this car so any advice gratefully received.
Which oil - 1996 1.8 D Endura Fiesta - richy
I have a 1995 mk 3 with the same engine and I use 10w30 mineral. Changed every 6 months / 6000 miles wich ever comes first. These things really are bomb proof.
Which oil - 1996 1.8 D Endura Fiesta - jc2
And that is what Ford recommend for this motor.10W/30 Multigrade is available at any Ford dealer and just about everywhere else.I expect some people will tell you to use fully or semi-synthetic but with 5/6000m. oil changes you'd be wasting your money.
Which oil - 1996 1.8 D Endura Fiesta - Roger Jones
Just in case this is useful to those viewing the thread:

tinyurl.com/hrokc

See "Tools, Which oil should I use?"
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - markengland
Hi all, I recently posted on here querying which oil to use in my 96 mark IV 1.8 Endura diesel Fiesta. Some BR's came back very kindly with 10W30 and also a link to the Castrol website which recommends the correct oil for most cars. For mine, it came back with 5W40 as the first choice or 10W40 as a 2nd choice. Now I'm confused! I don't understand oil viscosity so would appreciate any further info on which is the correct/best oil to use. Is a 10W30 oil similar to a 5W40? Can I use any of these 3 recommendations? Any advice or guidance is gratefully received, as I don't have a Ford manual for the car. I have been informed that the Haynes manual recommends 5W30 but apparently this is too thin? TIA. Mark.
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - mss1tw
I have been informed that the Haynes manual recommends 5W30 >> but apparently this is too thin? TIA. Mark.

Yes Ford seem to specify 5w30 for everything now.

Basically the first number refers to the oils thickness when cold and the second when hot.

I don't know which one would be better as oils have advanced since when this engine was designed for Noah's ark ;o) so it's possible that there might now be an oil that's even more suitable than 10w30. I think a 5w30 would just smoke and burn off the oil until it got warm.

I'd be happy putting a good 10w40 in there myself, but I'm not an expert.
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - jc2
Read Richy and jc2;that is what Ford recommend for this engine.
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - bell boy
if you want my ten penorth i would only put 10/40 semi in if it came through my hands for exactly the reasons discussed.
5/30 would be alright in the upper echolons of iceland is my guess
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - mss1tw
5/30 would be alright in the upper echolons of iceland is
my guess

:^D
Oil Grade query 1996 diesel Fiesta - jc2
Ford Formula E(5w/30 semi-synthetic) was recommended for later versions of this engine when the service interval was increased to 10,000m.I used to use Ford 10w/30 in the winter and Ford 20w/50 in the summer in an earlier version of this engine until I sold the car with 155,000m. on the clock-still running well.