Golf III ABS exchange - Gazmp
I've had to replace the ABS ECU on my Golf III VR6 and bought it (used) complete with the pump. Yesterday I removed the old one and fitted the new one in it's place. I used a pressurised bleed kit and pushed all the air out of the system, but still there the brakes are not fully working as I can feel air in the line somewhere. I re-bled them today and got no more air out.

The brakes work, just, but when pumped are good, telling me there is air in the system. I have been told that it is likely that air is still in the pump, as it would have been empty when I fitted it, although this seems strange as I used the pressurised bleeder. Is there a way I can get the air out of the pump without having to remove it as this is not an easy task on the VR6 due to the size of the engine?

Thanks
Gaz
Golf III ABS exchange - Collos25
You will have to start by bleeding each wheel individually I'll bet loads of air comes out.
Golf III ABS exchange - adverse camber
I thought that it was recommended to fill the pump before fitting it. presume it gets a bit messy but you can get a situation where there is so much air in the pump that nothing happens. Also some abs systems cannot be easily bled - even with a pressure system, the technique is to use the diagnostics equipment to activate the pump and the valves so that fluid can get round.

If you dont want to refit it i would start with redoing the flush. and repeat several times over the next few days.