97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - BobbyG
Hi, my Saxo has an electrical clicking sound coming from behind the glovebox area. Its like the sound I get when the wipers first come on, not sure if this is the sound a relay makes?

However, everything in the car is working fine. Sometimes the clicking can be very intermittant (minutes in between clicks) other times its constant.

I have checked the fusebox and no sign of scorching or any indication that anything is amiss. If this is a relay, is there any one in particular it is likely to be, bearing in mind everything is working ok and it doesn't just appear when I press a certain button or do a certain thing.

97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - 659FBE
Almost certainly the intermittent wipe relay (blue case) which is located in the passenger's compartment fuse box behind the glove box. The Valeo version of this relay is unreliable - if you ever get a wiper malfunction, even when intermittent wipe is not selected, look here first. The earlier Cartier relay is better and is a direct replacement. It seems that poor contacts on the wiper switch can cause this relay to operate occasionally without there being any obvious malfunction with the wipers - the 106D I look after, does this. Having driven the 106 in light rain, I must say that the audible operation of this relay at each wiper stroke would annoy me - if it were mine I'd lag the relay.

97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - Adam {P}
Hi Bobby - not much help I'm afraid but it does sound like it's a relay. I'm sure someone in the know will be of more help but in the meantime, can you try and replicate it clicking faster? Does the speed of the clicking change when you turn on something?
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - Adam {P}
I now look really stupid for my pitiful attempt at help!

Told you someone in the know would be along soon!
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - elekie&a/c doctor
Very possible the clicking is the flasher unit trying to operate .Caused by a fault with the indicator stalk switch.Try moving the switch slowly to see if you can get the fault to occur.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will try your thoughts out and report back. If it is the wiper relay, other than being an annoying sound, is it doing any harm? In other words should I just leave it or is it an easy fix?
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - 659FBE
Fair point from elekie - could equally well be the flasher, the common factor here being the poor quality of the column switches.

Why not try a test drive with each relay removed in turn? Do the wiper one first, as a test drive without flashers could be confusing to people not used to hand signals.

Have now came to the conclusion it is the flasher, as the noise seems to happen just after I have used the indicators and seems to stop when I give the indicator stalk a quick flick.
Not too sure though if this means it is the flasher unit in the fusebox or a faulty indicator switch at the column stalk.

I will try changing the flasher relay that looks straightforward enough to do and see if that makes any difference. Anyone recommend any online parts suppliers? I have tried Eurocarparts but they don't stock it>
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - rip
have you tried www.gsfcarparts.com. if not in stock they noramlly get the part next working day
rip, cheers for that, will give them a try.
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - elekie&a/c doctor
D'ont waste your money on a flasher unit;The fault will be the stalk switch.germanswedish&french do the switch for about £35 depending if you have rear or front & rear fog lights.
97 Saxo 1.5 D Elec Clicking Sound - mjm
I had the same thing on my Xantia, I peeled back the rubber flap which covers the aperture in the steering column around the switch and gave it a good blast with WD40 with the long tube fitted. It has lasted about 18 months so far without random ticking.
I assumed that the contacts had collected some copper dust from wear and the WD40 had washed them away, for now anyway!