Renault Grand Espace - mda160
I'm thinking of buying a 2005 Grand Espace 2.2 DCI. Has anyone any good or bad feedback on these ? or any real alternatives ??

R.

mda160
Renault Grand Espace - SjB {P}
If I was in the market for a large MPV, it is without doubt a VW Caravelle T5 that I would purchase.

HJ's road test and my own can be found at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=105
Renault Grand Espace - Gromit {P}
The Toyota Previa (also mentioned in HJ/SjB's roadtest) is still being made and comes in versions that seats up to 8. Would that also offer enough luggage space for the OP?

Should be few worries over its reliability, either.
Renault Grand Espace - Altea Ego
There have been a lot of problems with 2.2DCi Espaces.

Clutch hydraulics every 50k, EGR valves on engines, Electrickery problems.

They are however fabulous engines when running, fabulous value for money second hand, and I think that 2005 models may well be sorted by now. Certainly the EGR problem is fixed dont know when in the model year tho.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Grand Espace - Xileno {P}
Change the oil at 9K, not 18K.
Renault Grand Espace - Collos25
It cost an absolute fortune to change clutches, worst still is the clutch master cylinder which have a short life span this warrants the removal of the dashboard which requires special bracing tools so the windscreen does not break costs well over a £1K at renault.
The flywheels are a problem again extremely expensive,and in general the electrics are a nightmare with ECU problems without end.They look nice but it ends there,this is one to leave alone unless it comes with a full Renault warranty that covers the clutch.Much better is a VW,Previa or Kia/Hyundai.
Renault Grand Espace - Xileno {P}
It is no secret that the previous Espace had problems. Maybe the 2005 models are sorted now.
Renault Grand Espace - Collos25
No they haven't unfortunatly.I was chatting to a mechanic at the Nissan garage which has a Renault side and he was telling me they are getting worse all there bays are always full and they are bringing them over to the Nissan side and he was not a happy spannerman.Also he was saying that the spares are a nightmare to get and judging by the carpark there were plenty of cars awaiting bits.
Renault Grand Espace - Avant
How very sad. There are still some reliable Renaults around but they seem to be getting fewer. My Espace was one of seven reliable Renaults in a row - it was one of the earlier ones (1988 2000 TXE) and if you saw another one there would be an exchange flash of headlights.

It never let us down, never used a drop of oil, and we have some very happy memories of our four children growing up and having plenty of room to relax on a long journey. And one particularly happy memory of a trip back from the West Country with all four children *and* SWMBO asleep....
Renault Grand Espace - Avant
I should add that the Espace did 125,000 miles with us from new. Rather fun to see 123456 come up on the odometer.