Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - Stargazer {P}
We are thinking of hiring a 7-seater MPV for a holiday (fly to Europe and hire there), we have 4 adults and 2 children in booster seats plus luggage for 2 weeks.

Current thinking is either

1) 2 medium sized cars...flexibility, definitely ok for luggage space,

2) 7 seater MPV (VW Sharan?) which is a similar cost to hire as two smaller cars, but we each have less driving to do, smaller fuel costs etc, but not sure how much luggage space will be affected by using the rearmost seat.

Any BR people have experience with long trips in this type of vehicle?

cheers

StarGazer
Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - No FM2R
I've got a Galaxy...

It has a potential for 7 seats (obviously). With all the seats in there is no luggage space (just about enough for one soft suitcase). You need 6 seats. If you take out one seat I would be surprised if it gave you sufficient space for all your luggage. When I travel we need to take out all the rear seats for our luggage. And we're only two adults two children.

Either you need a bigger MPV [Grand Voyager perhaps] or two vehicles
Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - No FM2R
p.s. a rough guess with one seat removed would be perhaps three normal suitcases. Any more would be pushing it.
Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - boxsterboy
But you won't be able to remove the seat until you are at your destination (unless the hire company are prepared to look after it for you during your stay). Will this be a problem?

I doubt the unused single seat folded will release enough space, but removed it probably would.
Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - Chad.R
Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra : As you're going to have to use at least 1 of the rear most seats you've effectively halved your "normal" luggage space which probably won't be enough for 2 weeks worth of beer let alone luggage. A roof box may be the answer but as your renting, it may not be that easy....

IMO the best option would be something like a VW Caravelle which will have more than adequate space for 6 people plus 2 weeks luggage.

HJ's road test ....
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=105

Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - Happy Blue!
I have direct experience of this.

The only way to make this work is for the rental company to remove the seat before you get the car. There is no room in a standard 7-seater MPV (Galaxy/Trajet/807) if the seventh seat is not removed and you want luggage for six people.

The first time a tried this, I warned the rental company that I did not want the seventh seat and they should remove it. They did not and I had a big row with them. Avoid the hassle - go for a Caravelle or two small estates (Focus size).
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Luggage space in 7 seater MPV - Stargazer {P}
Thanks all for the speedy responses...confirmed what I sort of suspected. The caravelle is a special request at some of the 'more remote' parts of Europe we hope to visit, so I think we will end up with two cars, just checked with Avis, two Passats will be approximately £300 cheaper than a VW Caravelle for the same period.
But cost extra for fuel and tolls.

Cheers

StarGazer