1995 306 Sedan rear hub bearing change - SjB {P}
SWMBO's 1995 306 1.8 Sedan was MOTd today; passed*, but an advisory was issued on the nearside rear wheel hub bearing which has a tiny amount of detectable play. I therefore plan to change the bearing this week.

Reading Haynes, change looks like a doddle of a job as the bearing comes off with the brake drum; it should then easily pull (I have a bearing puller) or push out. If I do my usual job (from kart racing days when changing main bearings!) of placing the new bearing in the deep freeze overnight and warming the hub, inserting it should be even easier.

The bearing seal appears to be simply pushed over the stub axle and easily changed too.

So, as easy as I think or are there known things to be aware of before I start, please?

TVM!

*Interestingly, after its usual Italian tune up on the way to the test station, at 11 years old and still on the original cat it had the best emissions result yet: HC 0, CO 0, Lamda 1.00.
1995 306 Sedan rear hub bearing change - RichardW
Gett the drum off is easy enough - although you need a 32mm socket and long bar to get the hub nut off, and if I remember rightly the hub nut is staked into the stub axle, so you need to relieve the staking and fit a new nut. It should then be a case of driving out the old bearing and pressing in the new. Pressing in the new one is likely to be awkward without a hydraulic press....

You might find all sorts of nasties though when you get the drum off - worn linings, broken self adjusters, leaking cylinders...

I'm surprised it's got play in it, since it is a sealed ball bearing rather than a taper roller type, but these things have a habit of defying logic!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
1995 306 Sedan rear hub bearing change - SjB {P}
Thanks, RichardW.

I must admit that given sealed bearings I too was surprised at the advisory notice and wonder whether in fact it is something else. I'll get the car on axle stands and have a good look & feel before I spend any notes. My guess is that if the bearing has failed the cause will be the seal on the stator (axle).

The drums were last taken off (by my trusty Pug Indy, not me) 13 months ago for a brake check / clean / bleed.

Yes, you are quite correct; the nuts are staked and must also only be used once.

If I do need to change the bearing and need a press to get the new one in - despite the freezing and heating technique described in my post - I'm lucky to have a tame engineering shop (and another car to drive!) who'll do it for me.
1995 306 Sedan rear hub bearing change - solara
I remember trying to pull off the hub bearing on my 306 using the haynes method..... looks good on paper, but in the real world forget it!

After an attempt, I took it into my local mechaninc who pulled out the bearing with their hydraulic press, and inserted the new one, for a few quid. I did the rest myself.