Lexus RX400h - Any good? - kennybase
Hello all,

My FIL is looking to get a Lexus RX400h - but doesn't really know if its any good! Have any BRs any experience of them and if so, is it worth getting?

TIA
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - boxsterboy
What are his requirements?

I guess it's like an RX300 with a higher price, smaller boot, better performance, but still not as economical as a diesel in the real world (see ML270 CDI v RX400h across USA test).

An SUV, not an off-roader (at least with standard tyres).

He should try one and see if he likes it, that's more important than BR opinions!
His requirements are quite simple really - just goes up and down the motorway, needs space in the boot for his golf clubs, and maybe the occasional small photocopier if one needs delivering to a customer.

He was looking at the Merc 4x4 (not sure on model) but he doesn't see the point of getting a 4x4 when it will mainly be him in the car on his own, and will not be going off road!

He is organising a test drive, but seeing as HJs car by car states its too early to say about bad points, I was wondering if any BRs had experience on the car and possible things to look out for.
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - Lud
Why doesn't he want a car? I would have thought it wd be safer, more unobtrusive, cheaper, more comfortable and more economical. What's the point of a big jeep thing that doesn't even have 4wd?
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - Collos25
I thought they had inteligent 4X4 it was the grey import Harrier that was only two wheel drive as standard plus some badged as lexus these were Harriers but had a badge change on there way from Nippon land.
Agree, and hybrids are at their worst on the motorway.

A medium/big saloon or estate would appear to fit the bill.
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - Happy Blue!
Client of mine has one - dreadful economy.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
He's after an executive car that isn't saloon. Not many others fit the bill apparently.
How about an estate? Or a coupe?

Both would be less of a compromise than an SUV for the type of driving he sounds like he'll be doing.
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - type's'
Kennybase - I am in agreement with previous threads above that state hybrids do not offer any advantage on motorway journeys. I remeber reading a recent MB publication that stated the diesel ML class was more economical on long journeys than the RX400h.

Also read an interesting article in May's edition of Car magazine that compares a couple of different vehicles with a cross-over & standard estate. The vehicles were MB R Class, Volvo XC90, Renault espace and BMW 535d tourer.

The standard estate car come out tops in almost every category.

Unfortunately most "non-standard" vehicles seem to be compromised in some way - i.e. RX400h would have higher C of G than normal car so would not handle as well etc etc.

I hope this helps
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - Lud
What about a Lexus Soarer?
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - type's'
Also came across this interesting article on hybrid running costs.
/www.canadiandriver.com/news/060403-11.htm
An idea of his budget would help. Soarers are all grey imports and are mostly getting on a bit now (Mum's friend has been very pleased with her twin-turbo one, though parts are a problem).
Lexus RX400h - Any good? - Altea Ego
One of my co-workers got one. I have driven it briefly.

Four things stick in my mind.

HOw quiet and strange it was when on battery power
How many times I nearly crashed - distracted by the moving image thingy of what all the power options were doing.
How seamless the transitions between modes of power were.
HOw many time during the day my co-worker complains about how often the damn thing has to be filled up and how a diesel would have been so much more economical........
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >