Leaky 306 - Matt Riddles
I recently purchased a 306 D turbo (3 door) and after the recent spell of wet weather I woke one morning to find a small lake in my passenger footwell!

After checking the sunroof drain holes, scuttle panel drain, and ariel mounts I am still foxed as to how the water is getting in!!!

The roof and passenger seat is bone dry and all of the electrics still work fine, I have not driven in the rain a great deal over the last few days but the car is parked outside overnight.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas as to where this water may be getting in? Is it common for the door seals to leak??
Re: Leaky 306 - CymroArall
It's the plastic film inside the door which usually acts as a barrier. Had precisely your symptoms in identical circumstances.
Re: Leaky 306 - Matt Riddles
Is that behind the door card?

My Lecky window has packed up to on the passenger side but I've been told that this is due to the quality wiring between the door and the body of the car.

Or is this related??
Re: Leaky 306 - CymroArall
Yes: you have to remove the door fixtures such as grab handles etc, and then you remove the trim (i.e. the face of the door which is inside the vehicle). That exposes a thin plastic membrane which is supposed to be stuck along all edges, and is perforated only by the various screw holes etc. But what happens is that the membrane becomes unstuck - especially on the bottom edge - and rain which gets in from the window glass runs down and drops into the footwell. If it's not torn, it's possible to restick it with a waterproof adhesive (having cleaned the remants of the earlier glue and associated dirt off the metal sill).

A Haynes manual will show it clearly.

I couldn't believe that rainwater alone could produce such a flood - but it does. In my case the effect was exacerbated by parking the car with n/s wheels up on a bank - so the water flowed easily into the front passenger footwell.

I'd certainly suspect that as a starting point!

Good luck.
I had the door card off last week investigating the window fault and I have no plastic sheet!

On the door there are individual polystyrene type seals that are bonded into the holes in the door.

I'll have the door card off again tonight and have another look for water though.
Re: Leaky 306 - Big Vern
Just to check, take the door card of the other side, I suspect you will find a plastic sheet on the other door. Has the door ever been replaced, accident damage etc?

I can't think of anyone other than a dealer who will source a replacement sheet for you, aulthough I have used the plastic cover that I got over my suit when it came back from the dry cleaners, doubled over and stuck on with duct tape!! (started as a temporary measure, but hey, if it aint broke!) you could make your own out of heavy plastic from B&Q or the like.

I would be interested to know how much a proper replacement sheet is for future reference if anyone knows.
I'll check the other door but as far as I can tell the car is totally original, the door doesn't look like a replacement.

Luckily I've got some plastic sheet and the black goo that they stick it on with (sourced from a friendly windscreen replacement company) so I may try fitting that.

Typical that as soon as I try and find a water leak it stops raining!!!!