Insurance and travel to/from college - Mazda-Man
Hi all. The wife's likely to enrol on a part time (4days pw/13 hours total) college course shortly and we're wondering if becoming a part time student and using her car to drive to/from college is relevant to her insurance and, if so, is it likely to be grounds for her insurers to increase her premiums. She has a full comp. policy with limited mileage but as the journeys invovled will be short that won't be exceeded. At the moment although she's only had her full licence for about a year she's been insured for 3 years with the same company who give her a discretionary discount equivalent to full NCD. We obviously don't want to lose this but don't want to take chances either so thought we'd ask here before giving them a call.

Insurance and travel to/from college - Altea Ego
Mark will know for certain but I am sure it will be classed as "domestic use"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mark??? Who's he? :)

We await the definitive answer with interest.
Insurance and travel to/from college - Dalglish
wondering if becoming a part time student and using her car
to drive to/from college is relevant to her insurance ...
...definitive answer ...

>>

for a definitive answer, your best advice would be to ask the insurer. they may not be too keen on "students" even if only part time, and they may not like the idea of the car being parked in/near a college (depending on security record of said car park) .
We obviously don't want to lose this ...

>>

at last someone who knows the difference between "lose" and "loose". ;-)

Insurance and travel to/from college - martint123
Everything is relevant to insurers.
A lot depends on what your policy covers now - if it's just 'social, domestic and pleasure' then I suspect commuting to college daily will be something they want to know about - a 'material fact' that they usually say they have to be informed of.

Phone up and ask - worse comes to worse and they charge another 20 quid. Better that than find it's been stolen and the cover is invalidated.

Martin
Insurance and travel to/from college - deepwith
Son is not allowed to "commute" to college on the policy I have, but is allowed to go to weekend job. Check with insurer.
Insurance and travel to/from college - Adam {P}
Just to echo the thoughts of everyone on here, I'd check VM. My insurers wanted the commuting cover on for Uni but I'm there full time* so might be different.

*But only for one more week. Yippeeee!!!
Insurance and travel to/from college - Bill Payer
When I moved the insurance for my wife's car, the new insurer was a bit wierd stressing that the kids couldn't use it to go to Uni, even though the policy would seem to allow it.
When I said my oldest daughter has her own car, but might want to use Mum's to go to Uni now and again, they said that would be fine!
Clear as mud, then!
Insurance and travel to/from college - Adam {P}
VERY similar to how we tried to play it when I got my first car Bill.

We tried insuring it in Mum's name with me as a named driver but got told that I would only be able to drive it twice a week and not to a place of work or education.

They're switched on nowadays aren't they?
Thanks everyone and just to reiterate what I said in my first post, we will be ringing them up, just want to get an idea of what their response might be beforehand.

Still waiting for that 'Mark' guy to pitch in :)
Insurance and travel to/from college - Bill Payer
VERY similar to how we tried to play it when I
got my first car Bill.
We tried insuring it in Mum's name with me as a
named driver but got told that I would only be able
to drive it twice a week and not to a place
of work or education.
They're switched on nowadays aren't they?

The problem I had with it was that they were verbally imposing conditions that were not in the policy. The kids Uni's were both distant, not commutable, so they wouldn't be using the car for that purpose anyway.
Just to let you know the company concerned told me that their bog standard SDP cover includes daily communting to/from a permanent place of work.
Insurance and travel to/from college - local yokel
>includes daily communting to/from a permanent place of work.

But does it cover for travel to/from a place of study? It's not just the travel issue, but the change of personal circumstances is also relevant, and you are required to tell the insurer. Students (of any age) may be a higher insurance risk than secretaries.
Insurance and travel to/from college - deepwith
We were told by the broker that going to college/school was classified as commuting - so looks as though you are ok.