EBA and ESP - cheddar
As many of you will know I have had my 2002 Mondeo Ghia X from new, I have always understood it to have Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) though not Electronic Stability Programme (ESP). I clearly recall that EBA, auto-relock and one or two other features were introduced on what were called 2002.5 model year Mondeos.

However the Haynes manual confuses matters, it says:

"The Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) adds another function to the ABS system. Sensors measure the position of the steering wheel, the pressure in the brake master cylinder, the yaw velocity/rate and the lateral acceleration. With this information the system can can compare the driver's intention with the vehicle's movement and apply appropriate corrective action. The system is sometimes known as Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)."

I have always thought of ESP and EBA as different systems albeit using some common sensors.

Any thoughts?
EBA and ESP - kithmo
My 2001 Ghia X 2.5 V6 has ESP as standard, it was optional on lower capacity engines. EBA is purely pedal pressure assistance, the quicker you press the pedal, the more assistance you get, giving you a quite firm pedal feel. ESP works in conjuction with the ABS and power control modules, via wheel speed, road speed, yaw rate and steering wheel position sensors etc, to keep the car on the chosen path. i.e. it applies brakes to specific wheels (via ABS), drops engine power etc. when it senses wheel spin and/or loss of traction (even sideways). ABS alone would not stop you losing the rear end, ESP would.
EBA and ESP - cheddar
Other than to say that EBA is not simply a matter of pedal assistance, instead it works in conjuction with ABS I broadly agree with you. Though as I said before I recall EBA being a new addition to the Mondeo spec when I got mine which would mean that yours would have ESP though not EBA, the plot thickens.

However Haynes should know what they are talking about, shouldnt they?
EBA and ESP - Altea Ego
well - put it like this. YOu cant have a proper ESP without EBA and ABS. YOu need EBA components to apply and vary brake pressure, and you need ABS to control application to each wheel.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
EBA and ESP - cheddar
That figures RF, perhaps EBA was std on 2001 V6 Mondeos though not on others until 2002, nevertheless why do Haynes the doyen of motoring literature write:

"The Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) adds another function to the ABS system ........ The system is sometimes known as Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)."

EBA and ESP - Quinny100
The passage you quote is an accurate description of ESP.

On non-ESP Mondeo's the EBA is purely mechanical and works via a valve in the brake servo. When the brake pedal is pressed hard very sharply the valve opens and the air in the servo applies maximum braking force to the wheels, with the ABS dealing with any possible wheel locking. The theory is people jump on brakes quickly in an emergency but don't apply full force to the pedal, so EBA can result in a decrease in emergency stopping distances. I'm not 100%, but I believe on cars with ESP the EBA is activated electronically.

ESP can brake individual wheels to halt a slide - I have seen it in action after I deliberately induced a front end slide on a wet roundabout - the car slid for about half a second before the system caught it and and the car pulled back to its proper line with no drama.

ABS systems can also have a function called Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). This allows the ABS unit to apply the braking force to the individual wheels with most traction to slow you down faster. Not sure if this is fitted to the Mondeo.
EBA and ESP - cheddar
The passage you quote is an accurate description of ESP.

So why do Haynes say that ESP and EBA are the same thing?

All 2000 on Mondeos have ABS and EBD, EBA is something else however I dont beleive that it is simply mechanical because it works inconjunction with the ABS sensors, also if I have an AM station on the radio when I brake hard I get interferance which I have been told is caused by EBA.

EBA and ESP - Quinny100
>> The passage you quote is an accurate description of ESP.
>>
So why do Haynes say that ESP and EBA are the
same thing?

I don't know, but they're wrong.

All 2000 on Mondeos have ABS and EBD, EBA is something
else however I dont beleive that it is simply mechanical because
it works inconjunction with the ABS sensors, also if I have
an AM station on the radio when I brake hard I
get interferance which I have been told is caused by EBA.

EBA has nothing to do with ABS sensors. EBD does though, so it it is probably that which is causing the interference.

Quoted from Ford's Technical Information System:

"The mechanical emergency brake assist (EBA) system incorporates a hydraulic mechanism in the brake master cylinder allowing controlled additional assistance to brake pedal effort in emergency braking situations. This allows maximum braking capability with a reduced brake pedal effort during critical situations.

On vehicles built from 02/2003 with stability assist, the mechanical EBA has been replaced with an electronic EBA function. The EBA function is an integral part of the stability assist module incorporates and provides improved emergency brake assistance"
EBA and ESP - cheddar
"The mechanical emergency brake assist (EBA) system incorporates a hydraulic mechanism
in the brake master cylinder allowing controlled additional assistance to brake
pedal effort in emergency braking situations. This allows maximum braking capability
with a reduced brake pedal effort during critical situations.

That sounds like what they call ADAM on the new Focus.
EBA and ESP - Adam {P}
You're too kind Cheddar. I mean, I know I'm a driving God but calling me a hydraulic mechanism is going too far. You'll make me blush.
EBA and ESP - Manatee
I suspect EBFD is needed for ESP as it entails braking one wheel at a time in response to computer command.
EBA and ESP - kithmo
My 2001 V6 Mondeo does not have the mechanical EBA and it was too early for the Electronic EBA. Fords with mechanical EBA have a different servo unit to non-EBA and it has a label on it with the leters "EBA" in the serial number IIRC. My brakes have a softer feel to the pedal, which gives a feeling of uncertanty until you get used to them, but they are very efficient when hard pressed.