late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - steveo3002
been looking at a few audi a3s in the classifieds, late 90s around the £4k mark..mostly near to 100k miles

id like to know if theres any major problems these cars suffer with? are any of the engines troublesome(havent decided what engine to go for yet)

is the bodywork galvanised all over

any advise please
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - cheddar
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? .......

......... the guy in the 50k miles, 4 grand 2001 Focus who will run rings around you on the back roads ;-)
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - Tornadorot
......... the guy in the 50k miles, 4 grand 2001 Focus
who will run rings around you on the back roads ;-)

Ah, but does he have a leather steering wheel and gearknob as standard? ;-)

Things to look out for on older A3s: the co-axial tailgate wiper shaft and washer pipe (has a tendency to seize and break) - if the washer squirts straight up it's OK, but if it swivels round with the wiper, the pipe is broken and probably leaking; check for rust (yes, rust on an Audi!) just above the black rubber strips along the bottom of the doors and along the roof gutters. Check the ABS warning light - ABS sensors can go wonky. If it's wet, check the heated door mirrors are demisting - if not, it's a pretty simple job to replace the mirror glass.

1.6 engine seems pretty robust - can't speak for the others. A high clutch biting point doesn't seem to be anything to worry about (at least with this engine).
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - svm
Hi

We just part-exchanged our 2000 A3 1.9TDi. You shouldn't have any problems with the body work if the car has been looked after. However, take a close look at the electrics (eg, windows etc) as these are prone to failing.

As for the performance of the diesel, it had plenty of torque and averaged 45mpg and drove beautifully.
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - steveo3002
......... the guy in the 50k miles, 4 grand 2001 Focus who will run rings around you on the back roads ;-)

couldnt care less..im not a boy racer

anyone know if the A3 is galvanised?? i thought they were
diesel sounds like the one to go for, if i can sensible milage
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - Xileno {P}
Yes it's galvanised. Confirmed in the CBCB.
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - Stuartli
I have a 1999 VW Bora (similar in many respects to the A3, Toledo and Octavia) which has a 12 year body warranty.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - madf
I looked at a couple : quattro TDIs.

If it's a TDI you want evidence it has been serviced and cambelt changed(and tensioners) at 60k.

I drove one with no oil change for 25k miles. Surprisingly the engine sounded very noisy.

Electric windows failed as I drove it.

TLC = OK. Neglect = trouble.

Not obvious = walk away.

Audi dealers v expensive. Get a good indie.
madf
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - cheddar
......... the guy in the 50k miles, 4 grand 2001 Focus
who will run rings around you on the back roads ;-)
couldnt care less..im not a boy racer

Nor am I though I appreciate a car with a crisp turn in etc.

The point is that you could get a newer, lower mileage and much better to drive Focus for the same money, also with a better reliability rating.

Re A3s, I have heard that of the petrols the 125 bhp 1.8 is the best compromise, the 1.6 is gutless the 1.8T more troublesome. I had a colleague with a 2002 1.9 TDi 130 which was pretty quick though rather unrefined IMO.
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - P 2501
Do these suffer from the same elcetric window mechanism failure seen in the mark IV golf? IIRC its a silly plastic block thing that breaks away.

Something to watch out for.
late 90s audi A3 ..what to look out for? - Jase
I disagree. I think the 125BHP petrol is not half as good as the 150BHP 1.8T. My sister has had no problems with her A3 1.8T in the 4 yrs she's owned it and I've not had any 'T' related issues with the 180BHP version in my Leon.

The biggest issue with these engines was the coil packs in circa2001 cars and cambelts that fail before the service interval (VW have now reduced the recommended interval from 80K to 40K). Neither of these issues is Turbo related.

Also - Steveo3002 asked about A3's - so why the need to immediately mention a Ford in the first line of your reply. We know you like Fords, you don't have to tell us every post.

If I was going to buy an A3 of late 90's era it would be a 1.8T or a 110 (upped to 115?) diesel. Not sure the 130PD was out then.

Good luck