Audi A4 Avant suspension - mike dawson
I have a late 1997 A4 Avant 1.8 se with only 39,000 miles that has been nurtured from new with full dealer history. Only recently however i have noticed a knocking noise from the front suspension- whilst this is not serious ( i am assured by the dealers) it is becoming noisey and very annonying. i have been told that the A4 has a weakness in this area. Has anyone else suffered like this ? incidently i have also had to replace a CV joint which was expensive.
Re: Audi A4 Avant suspension - Honest John
Take a look at car by car breakdown. Andy Bairsto assures us that the A4 was subject to a recall in Germany for this very reason.

HJ
Re: Audi A4 Avant suspension - El Dingo (Martin)
Mike,

My A4 had a loud 'squeek' from the front suspension, and Audi changed both front suspension lower arms FOC. However, this was after quite a battle, with Audi having at first agreed under an 'unofficial' recall (where owners reported a problem) with a five month wait for the special kits, then later deciding that they would not honour this. HJ helped out with good advice, and Audi finally agreed to honour their earlier undertaking. However, I understand that the 'recall' only applied to 'S' and 'T' chassis.

Martin.
Re: Audi A4 suspension - Andrew Smith
Mine had all four suspension arms (eight?) replaced at 36000 miles after a low speed knocking noise was heard. Cause was the failiure of the bushes on the four links. Thankfully this was done under warranty (quickly and without complaint but then I'd only had the car for three weeks) as I wouldn't have liked to have to pay for this one myself. My dealer couldn't find any record of a recall but as the components had already been replaced I didn't worry much.
Re: Audi A4 suspension - Richard Hall
My local garage has had several A4s in to cure front suspension knock. In each case it has been the joints in the multi-link front suspension, and they have all had to be replaced to eliminate the problem. But this has usually been at a fairly high mileage (typically around 100K). Very expensive from Audi, much cheaper from independent suppliers.