Astra Engine Light - grahamwiz
I've got a 3 year old astra 1.6, only done 22K. Engine light has just come on (steady). The handbook says could be an emmission problem. The oil looks a bit grubby and it is due a service, been used on short runs mostly. Has anyone any advise.

Thanks
Astra Engine Light - Dynamic Dave
Car is too new to perform what's called "the paperclip trick" (ie, shorting out 2 pins in the ecu plug to read the fault code) so you'll need someone with a fault code reader, such as a Tech2 reader, to interrogate the car's ecu to find out what the problem is.
Astra Engine Light - piston power
when my light came on with the same car as yourself it was the EGR valve, a nice £70.00 to buy and 5mins to fit, but to be sure you will have to plug the code reader in thats about £45.00 at vauxhall unless you slip the mechanic a tenner like i did!!!!!!!
Astra Engine Light - bell boy
does light go out when you boot it?
if yes then as said the totally reliable egr (not)
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Astra Engine Light - Carl2
I also have an Astra 1.6 the same age and I have just replaced the EGR valve (28000miles). Sounds like a common problem.
astra egr valve - thanks - grahamwiz
Thanks for the help. Took the plunge & bought a new valve off ebay from vauxhall parts warehouse £45+pp, next day del, £5 on stockport market for a set of torq sockets. 5 mins to fit.
Tip, warning light does not immediately reset, run for few minutes, switch off restart, light reset. These units should last longer than 3 years.
Thanks Graham