'98 Astra 1.7TD estate - Front Strut £? - Cornish Lass
My Astra failed MOT today (thankfully he found the worn ball joint which had been knocking for weeks, despite my usual garage declaring they didn't know where noise was coming from!).

Amongst other things, the O/S front strut is disintegrating! Said he'd never seen one like it before - The flange which the base of the spring sits on is just crumbling away. Its booked in for replacement next week, but they couldn't give me guesstimate of price, as they usually only replace the shock insert, and need to shop around for the complete strut. Anyone know what £ I'm looking at?

Thanks, L
'98 Astra 1.7TD estate - Front Strut £? - piston power
there are many vauxhall breakers around the country with parts on the shelf you should get one complete with the spring, then it will go straight on.
'98 Astra 1.7TD estate - Front Strut £? - Dynamic Dave
there are many vauxhall breakers around the country...

www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/ for example.
'98 Astra 1.7TD estate - Front Strut £? - sierraman
Front struts are generally around the £30 mark,without spring.Not something I would get from a breakers,you do not know how worn they are and,as it contains the damper,should really be done as a pair.BTW if your garage cannot locate a knocking ball joint I would find another.