This mileage obsession - stonefish

Dear backroomers

I am trying to sell a 1997 Volvo S40. Its priced at £600 and advertised privately with 11months MOT/2 months Tax. The thing is, I have had about 5 calls and the first question every time is 'whats the mileage'. I tell them 105k. Most have just basically said 'thanks but no thanks'.
If we do get to subsequent questions, we get questions like 'How many owners has it had ?' 'Is there an FSH ? What do you guys think ? Its all frills and no substance.
If its an older car the questions should be 'whats the bodywork like ? How does it run ? Any starting problems ? condition of tyres ? ...Or is that too sensible ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.
This mileage obsession - moosh
Maybe you should have mentioned the mileage in the advert?
This mileage obsession - local yokel
Sell the sizzle, not the sausage. Don't answer the Q, say "I'm the 2nd owner, and I've a full SH, it's got no dings, paint/interior is great. I only do m-way miles, and so it's done 105, so it's done about 11.5k/year."
Yeah thanks good idea. I will put the mileage in to filter out the grumbleweeds.
Or read the Ebay thread - seems prices on there are better than in the AT and free -ads. If it's in great condition then put in some good pics showing it off the best effect. Plus fewer phone calls, no tyer-kickers, and cash on collection.
Or read the Ebay thread - seems prices on there are better than in the AT and free -ads. If it's in great condition then put in some good pics showing it off the best effect. Plus fewer phone calls, no tyre-kickers, and cash on collection.
This mileage obsession - bell boy
unfortunately stonefish this is what you get and it is even worse at this end of the market for people wanting fsh cars with 54,000 miles for £600,you will be pleased to know that there is a buyer for your car but it may take a little longer than you first envisaged.
I get offered loads of good high mileage carsc for pennies that i turn down for the customer apathy reason, i always say while we have this engrained mileage attitude in this country there is always going to be someone to clock cars.Two of my personel vehicles that i use are high mileage one is 169,000 and another is 136,000 both run perfect and i would happily drive to the moon in either weather permitting
To sum up dont let the idiots get you down.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Whenever I have been abroad (mainly in Europe) I have stepped into taxis with 3,4 even 5 hundred thousand (usually km) on the clock. I sometimes have asked the taxi driver about it but non of them were bothered about it. Thing is, in mainland Europe mileage matters less it seems and with the possible exception of Germany, there is less clocking. Its a big issue over here, also in the States, Canada and South Africa. In the USA, with the North American Free Trade Agreement, thousands of vehicles flow between borders of Canada and northern states particularly Washington and Maine. They are converted between miles and Km and rarely is there 1.6km to the mile when they are converted.
This mileage obsession - mike hannon
You just can't have it both ways though, can you?
If you have an excellent motor, but with a six-figure mileage, and take it to a trader of any sort - as I have done in the past - they will turn their nose up at it and offer you peanuts.
If you succumb and they take it from you and sell it on they will tell prospective buyers that the mileage means nothing!
This mileage obsession - rover 75
This is why cars are 'clocked', when I worked in the 'trade customers would ask for their purchase to be either zerowed or reduced. They liked a cheap high-mileage car but not with high-mileage.
This mileage obsession - Nsar
I think the reason is that mileage, FSH are objective things that can be verified or at least there is some evidence. Asking the owner if it's in good nick isn't really much help as they're bound to give at best a biased answer. It's a first sift of info to help get down to a shortlist of ones to look at when things like condition comes into play.

This mileage obsession - Aprilia
Some cars take the miles well and others don't. To be honest a 100k+ mile S40 wouldn't be high on my list of desirable buys. Not got the GDi engine has it?
This mileage obsession - MichaelR
Don't knock it.

This is why I hope to not buy a sub 6 figure mileage car next. I don't really want to pay the utterly pointless premium just to have a smaller number on the odometer.

Makes no odds to me so why should I pay for it? I'd rather have a slightly newer car with 100k than an older one on 70k.
This mileage obsession - Paul I
As someone who drives a S40 with 150K on the clock I would far rather own this car than many that have done half the mileage. It flies through its MOT, does 50 plus to the Gallon and is very comfortable. Admittedly its ride isnt up to the latest but it doesn't cost me £300 per month in HP or £300 in depreciation
My point is that the S40 was never that well liked as a used buy - although I agree they are quite a 'sensible' car. Don't know what model is being discussed, but the 1.8GDi's were unpopular because of the carbonisation problem and the very high cost of repairs. I would certainly not touch one with over 100k.
This mileage obsession - Thommo
Thommo makes his Nth reply to this type of thread.

THE ENTIRE CAR has done 105k not just the engine which in a modern car is usually the cheapest and easiest thing to replace.

High mileage equals low price for a good reason not just punter stupidity.
This mileage obsession - Xileno {P}
"THE ENTIRE CAR has done 105k not just the engine which in a modern car is usually the cheapest and easiest thing to replace."

And the cost of a modern common rail diesel is...?
This mileage obsession - Thommo
A hell of a lot cheaper than a failed but MOT critical electric motor hidden so deep that virtually the entire car has to be dismantled to replace it and then it turns out the little plastic body trims that you had to destroy to get to it are not actually available except if you can find them in a breakers and he knows how rare they are...
This mileage obsession - bear man
Doesn't the advisability of buying high mileage depend on the design spec of the car - hence a previous post asking about my VW. I've had both ford and GM, which have conked out at about 140 - therefore my feeling is to not bother with these if they are over 100k. 2 years and they've had it irrespecitve of age.
On the other hand manafacturers like Citreon seem to last (engine wise) for ages.
I have an idea on this. The Japanese manafacturing techniques have generally reduced standard deviation within the parts. Given this, parts can be designed much nearer tolerance than previously, and are therefore more likely to fail at the predetermined time. The less controlled manafacturers (dare I say it) like Citroen arn't able to do this, because their manafacturing systems are more inherently variable. This explains the dire french reliability record when new, but also explains why these cars are likely to last for ages. If you get a good one it's lovely, but it's very 50/50 as to getting a good one.
Anyone else had the same thought ?
A (rather rare these days) manafacturing engineer.
I think you have a good point there.

Having bought/sold many cars (professionally and personally) I just tend to approach each one on its merits. I've seen good and bad - sometimes you see 100k cars that look like new - other times they looked totally worn out (even with FSH and checkable history). Its just plain daft to say high mileage makes a good buy, similarly don't assume low mileage means a good buy.
You only need an owner who is foot-to-the-floor, hard on gears and clutch, hard on brakes, and they'll see off any car within 100k.
This mileage obsession - Hugo {P}
A couple of years ago a friend who was emigrating needed to get rid of his 215k Golf estate diesel.

He was extremel surprised at what he got for it - from a garage!

H
This mileage obsession - Stuartli
My last three VWs acquired since 1992 - two Jettas and a Bora - have all had more than 50k on the clock (the first Jetta had 66.5k and my PX Fiat Regata which it replaced had 25k on the clock) when I've acquired them and I've never been let down by any of the cars.

Mileage isn't all that important if you have a full and straightforward service history that can be fully backed up.

It's one of the reasons why I always make sure I can contact the previous owner to confirm such details - any dealership that stalls on this aspect means I walk out of the door.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
This mileage obsession - bumbler
Hi,

I tried a couple of high mileage Fords a few years ago. The first was a 2.5 diesel Granada and I got enormous bills on it. Oh, the engine was fine but things like the steering rack went and this beggared up something else on the suspension as well as wearing the front tyres eccentrically. That lot cost over 600 quid and that was real money then.

But I thought I was just unlucky and so got a high mileage Sierra. This was even worse for troubles, though again the engine was fine. It even needed a new propshaft as something sheared off! So I left Fords then and would take a deal of convincing that they take the miles well.

Since then I've gone for medium miles Astras with the Suzuki diesel engines and they've been pretty good. I'm up to 87,000 on the current one with no problems so far.
This mileage obsession - MichaelR
But I thought I was just unlucky and so got a
high mileage Sierra. This was even worse for troubles, though
again the engine was fine. It even needed a new
propshaft as something sheared off! So I left Fords then
and would take a deal of convincing that they take the
miles well.

So the last Ford you had was a Sierra, even if this was the last ever built it's pushing for 13 years ago.

Things have come on a long way since then.

Personally, I could not ask for more from my 134,000 mile Mondeo. It's convinced me that high mileage is the way to go and I certainly want a high miler next.

Why pay £9k for a 60k mile 99 528i Sport when I can pay the same for a 110k mile 01 530i Sport?
This mileage obsession - Andrew-T
"I will put the mileage in to filter out the grumbleweeds".

I am always surprised at how many ads omit the milage. We all know that will be the first question asked, so if it's not quoted, assume there is a reason. So possible callers may not bother to ring at all ...
This mileage obsession - geoff1248
The higher the mileage, the greater the wear and tear. Basic physics-use it and it will break--use it more and it will break more. The trick is to minimise the expense of repairs. There are plenty of threads detailing what goes wrong on what cars and it is reasonable (but not always) to assume that repairs on a BMW will cost more than those on a Ford. But then a BMW may not break down as often as a Ford. Maybe its more vital to know how its been driven rather than the mileage it has done.
This mileage obsession - Xileno {P}
"You only need an owner who is foot-to-the-floor, hard on gears and clutch, hard on brakes, and they'll see off any car within 100k."

Agreed, my brother can pretty much kill a car in 60K.
This mileage obsession - Roly93
People are a little too obsessed by mileage, probably due to being brought up with it as the sole yardstick of a cars value. This obsession belongs to the bygone age of the 1960's when a car that had done 55000 was past its best and probably in need of a re-bore etc.
The only thing I can say is given the engine/drivetrain reliability of cars now, emphasize that the car runs and drives well according to any standards, and that the buyer should buy what they see, not a mileage readout !
I think what you are asking is fair, but I would put the mileage on the add to filter out the time-wasters looking for a Ferrari for pocket change !