Stateside Mustang hire - Tim Allcott
Given previous topic, this is one of the key reasons I was keen not to hand over my licence.. due to go to San Francisco over Easter, and have hired a (6 cylinder, presumably) Mustang Convertible from Hertz.. £170 for the week. Anyone driven one? was this a wise decision? Driving down through Big Sur and then up to Yosemite.
Tim{P}
Stateside Mustang hire - Kevin
Haven't driven the V6 model but the '98 V8 Coupe I drove in Texas was a pretty good car. You aren't going to be pulling up any tree-stumps with the V6 but for an Easter holiday in California I'd say it was near perfect. The boot isn't huge so I'd recommend soft luggage.

Take a good camera and use it alot, the scenery is magnificent.

I've done a couple of similar trips starting off in Vegas, then Death Valley, over the Sierras to Pacific coast and up through San Simeon, Monterey, San Francisco. Back via Yosemite and down to Zion National Park, Glen Canyon, Grand Canyon and Vegas. We're planning to do Monument Valley sometime this year.

Be aware that you can still get snowfalls in Yosemite in March/April and you will be resticted where you can go unless you have 4WD or snowchains.

Hearst Castle and Monterey Aquarium are well worth a visit if you have time. A Frommers guide to the USA is also pretty handy for planning hotels, restaurants and local sights.

Kevin...
Stateside Mustang hire - Tim Allcott
Thanks, Kevin; helpful advice. (Particularly about the boot size...!)
Tim{P}
Stateside Mustang hire - Kevin
It's not a tiny boot but, if the new Mustang is anything like the previous model, the boot is an awkward shape so a couple of hardshell samsonites won't fit. I usually leave the main bags in the boot and just take an overnight bag into the hotel if the parking is safe.

You could, of course, take a minimum amount of clothes and luggage and spend half a day in a shopping mall. Good quality branded clothes are about half the UK price especially casual stuff like Ralph Lauren etc.

Kevin...

PS. Do not leave food in your car if you stay overnight in Yosemite. A bear would make one helluva mess of a ragtop.
Stateside Mustang hire - rtj70
Not a comment on the car but the drive to Yosemite. Watch you don't cook the brakes. It's quite steep in places. Only ever been once, in my brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2l.

Yosemite is amazing and awe inspiring.
Stateside Mustang hire - Lud
Great thing is, with hulking engines, narrow tyres and so on you can have a bit of fun until the locals start complaining: 'Oh ggahd, I hate that really, don't do that etc. etc.' (after some tiny tyre chirp), too late you are already noted as some kind of, oh, I don't think I can say that... stage-British caricature gross reactionary writ crude, knowImean?
Stateside Mustang hire - Phil Garner
Had a V6 2005 coupe from Hertz earlier last year. As far as driving dynamics go its pretty poor. Its not that fast despite 200+ hp, sluggish gearbox, poor quality interior. It looks the part though and you can have good tyre squeal moments when no-one is around. For £190 - why not?
Stateside Mustang hire - geoff1248
Been there done that. Agree with what has gone before that the handling isn't up to much. Think in terms of Ford Capri so far as handling goes. Not too bad in the dry but beware in the wet. More at home in the traffic light grand prix than country lanes. Bug Sur (or Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)) is a bendy road so you can enjoy powering out of the corners, not that the Mustang has as much performance as you would imagine. Don't forget that you are on holiday, chill out, enjoy the ride and drive the dream.