Toyota Yaris Advice - John Doubledime
I have got £4,000 approximately to spend on a Toyota Yaris.

Researching HJ?s car by car breakdown and previous posts I believe I want a 2003 T3 or T spirit 1.3
I am not sure about 3 or 5 doors.
Versos seem extremely rare. Are they worth pursuing?

Which model is easier to sell? I would hate to end up a difficult to sell variant

Are auctions the best place to look?

Best wishes

John
Toyota Yaris Advice - Sprice
Versos are rare because they are horrible looking things! Yaris are popular cars second hand, and will sell easily enough in 3 or 5 door variants...maybe the 5dr would sell slightly quicker.

Auctions, autotrader, local rag, ebay...all good places to try, but the majority will be 1.0 versions, the 1.3 is rarer.

Good luck.
Toyota Yaris Advice - madf
Try getting in or out of the rear of a 3 door. Then go for a 5 door if you take passengers .
madf
Toyota Yaris Advice - henry k
Try getting in or out of the rear of a 3 door. Then go for a 5 door if you take passengers

>>
I would agree and as always, a 5 door allows easier access in a full carpark.

The reviews I read of the 1.0 said it was buzzy on the motorway so I got a 1.3 but it is the earliest model produced V reg.
I guess the 1.0 would be OK around town and short trips.

I also went for the top, non sporty, spec CDX. I am not sure of the new T levels of trim.
CDX gave A/C, alloys, front E/W, manual sunroof, velour seats and CD. I think my spec would be easy to sell
Very happy with it but the boot is small with the rear seat in its rear most setting.

Do a search via the auto trader panel on the left. You will then get a feel for what is around on the forecourts.

Toyota Yaris Advice - oldgit
Shame that such a good car, in many respects, is ruined in my opinion by having a central binnacle in which the speedo is placed. Seems daft to me to have acres of blank plastic between the steering wheel and windscreen where instead the instruments should be.

Designing gone mad and is the only reason why my partner will not consider this supermini in comparison with others in the market place - such a shame........
Toyota Yaris Advice - Cardew
Versos are rare because they are horrible looking things!

Verso's might be considered horrible looking but that is not the reason they are rare.

Owners hang on to them and they don't come onto the market that much - HJ commented on the high prices they command in one of his auction reports. They came top in a recent owner's satisfaction survey and attracted quite a bit of media attention, and a lengthy thread in the Backroom.

SWMBO has an 5 and a half year old automatic Verso that she will not contemplate parting with, especially as there is not an Verso in the new Yaris range. For her it has everthing she wants in a car used mainly in shopping trolley mode. Huge inside, easy to get into, low loading platform(which the dog loves) and nothing, but nothing, has gone wrong with the car.
Toyota Yaris Advice - Xileno {P}
Some friends of ours have a wheelchair bound daughter and find the Verso brilliant for her needs. My dear lady has a normal Yaris and loves it, it has been reliable and she's very defensive of it as well.
Toyota Yaris Advice - Nsar
5dr - why buy a 3 door?

1.0 is very frugal, but you only notice its lack of power on the M/way or on hills, around town it's absolutely fine.
Toyota Yaris Advice - dylan
I don't think you'll get a 2003 1.3 yaris for £4k. In the older range (S,GS,GLS,SR,CDX), the GLS is a good buy as it's well equipped and has aircon, but is cheaper than the top of the range CDX (which became the T Spirit in the later models).

Toyota Yaris Advice - caesar
Have to agree about how ugly the verso is.
No matter how versatile a car is you have got to have no pride in the looks of a car to buy one of those.It should of been top of the ugly thread that was on not long ago.
Toyota Yaris Advice - Cardew
Have to agree about how ugly the verso is.
No matter how versatile a car is you have got to
have no pride in the looks of a car to buy
one of those.It should of been top of the ugly thread
that was on not long ago.

'Form over function' triumphs again!

'Pride' in the looks of a car? Perhaps if you designed it.

Personally I sit inside a car, but then I suppose if it matters to you what other people like looking at you should buy an Alfa.

Toyota Yaris Advice - caesar
'Pride' in the looks of a car? Perhaps if you designed it.

Personally I sit inside a car, but then I suppose if it matters to you what other people like looking at you should buy an Alfa.

Desighner of that thing certainly didnt care what it looked like he just got the desigh of his five year old.
I drive a focus estate for its practicality so im not too bothered about image as these are plain jane,but i still have to look at the car on my drive?
>>I don't think you'll get a 2003 1.3 yaris for £4k.
>>In the older range (S,GS,GLS,SR,CDX), the GLS is a good buy as it's well equipped and has aircon, but is cheaper than the top of the range CDX

I have the brochures on the original and revised Yaris so if you want further details just ask.

GLS had a standard tape player & CD optional.
You will also see Colour Collection and 1.5 T Sport models.

I would agree with the GLS being a good option.
CDX, as I drive is 1.3 only 5 door and also has a standard sun roof.
Diesels also available.
Henry

Thanks for the offer. I remember meeting you at the Ace cafe backroom meet, a while back

1.3s in my price range are scarce I have tried Loot Autotrader Ebay
BCA exchange and mart, plus Car Giant.

Regards

John
Thanks for the offer. I remember meeting you at the Ace
cafe backroom meet, a while back

Hello again.

May the Gods be with you on your search.
The New Yaris accessories brochure circa April 03
has a center spread of a Yaris and a couple of bikes n bikers in front of the Ace Cafe.

Spooky?
Toyota Yaris Advice - Avant
SWMBO was lent a 1.0 Yaris when her Honda was banged into. She found it sluggish in town, out of town, anywhere.

Elder daughter's 1.3 is a delight - much more lively than the (fully run-in) demonstrator so she may have got a good one: 29,000 miles and faultless so far, touch wood.

The bigger engine, as on most cars, is worth it every time. You don't have to drive it as hard to make good progress, so it uses little or no extra fuel.
Thanks to all who have replied.

Any views on the advantages of buying the later model . I realise that £4,000 was an underestimate.
Toyota Yaris Advice - dylan
Any views on the advantages of buying the later model .
I realise that £4,000 was an underestimate.

It was a very minor facelift. I've got one of the older range (SR). I was given one of the newer range (T3) as a courtesy car once, and it was pretty similar - slight changes to the interior but nothing worth talking about.

The main difference spec-wise is that in the newer range aircon is only on the top of the range T Spirit, whereas in the old range it is on the GLS, SR and CDX.

The other difference is that older models are more likely to be made in Japan - more recent models are made in France. The theory goes that the Japanese ones are better, but I don't know how true that is. There is a sticker on the windscreen that tells you where it's made if you want to check.
Toyota Yaris Advice - helicopter
SWMBO has the 1.3 GLS 5 door with aircon and if I were you I would try and obtain the same, it is a lovely little car and she has had no trouble with this one at all although it was made in France.

She previously had the 1 litre for a couple of years and found it very underpowered.She also had 2 replacement clutches which were sorted out under warranty without quibble.

We had a test drive in the diesel but it did not impress her.

I think the Yaris is a great little car to drive and we bought because of HJ's recommendation.Good luck with your search.

Toyota Yaris Advice - madf
The rear seat sliding mechanism on the Mk1 is NOT nearly as easy to use as the facelift. Try to operate it from the boot and see.

Facelift every time for that. Otherwise, really no major important differences apart from tunes of specs and different modles.. imo
madf