SAXO 16V VTS - Paul
Hi,

Strange behaviour with my saxo ('97 P plate). Whenever she has less than half a tank of fuel, the idling becomes more of a struggle and often when I stop at a junction or lights etc the revs drop right off, to such an extent that the anti stall kicks in and she revs and then settles. Once or twice she has even cut out. However as with all good problems it doesn't ALWAYS occur and so replicating for the garage is often difficult.

Citroen upgraded the software load on the engine management, but still the symptoms persist.

Has anyone else experienced something similar/got some advice on what to consider - aside from keeping the tank full of petrol!

Thanks,

Paul
Re: SAXO 16V VTS - markymarkn
I dont really have a clue, but is it something to do with a pressure regulator or something??

M.
Re: SAXO 16V VTS - Mike R
My daughter had a similar (starting/stalling) problem with her 1.1, but not I think related to the fullness of the tank. One Citreon dealer also upgraded the software, but the problem got worse. Another dealer has now cured it by fitting a new idle control stepper motor.
Re: SAXO 16V VTS - Andy P
Could it be to a vacuum forming in the fuel tank, starving the engine. Perhaps the breather tube to the fuel tank is blocked. Do you notice a sudden inrush of air when removing the filler cap?

Andy
Re: SAXO 16V VTS - Paul
No rush that I have noticed - I will keep an ear out for it though - cheers.
Re: SAXO 16V VTS - humpy
My 2.0i volcane seemed to display just the symptoms Paul described. I noticed that it happened on very hot days, I wondered if it was something to do with fuel evaporating i0n the manifold or something similar!! I replaced the idle control stepper motor (for £120!!) but it didn't solve the problem completely, but since the weather has cooled it doesn't happen anymore. Coincidence?!

I had citroen read the ECU memory but they couldn't find anything wrong, in addition all the parameters were normal. I think that it's all still a mystery.