Astra Ecotec cambelt change - 3T
Hi all-bit of advice please,
just coming up to 78k in my 51 plate astra, cambelt last done at 40k so I know it needs doing at the end of the month when the service is due . I know it will need a kit rather than just the belt itself- is there anything else that is prudent to change while the belt is off?
Astra Ecotec cambelt change - Dynamic Dave
If you're using a cambelt kit, then the only thing left to consider changing is the waterpump. It will save you the expense of another stripdown should it fail before the next 40k belt change is due.
Astra Ecotec cambelt change - 3T
thanks dave, I take it the pump is driven off the cambelt then? i know the pumps are fragile on vw's and i suppose that hoping for 120k out of one on an astra is asking a lot.
I take it the pump is driven off the cambelt then?

Sure is.
Astra Ecotec cambelt change - johnny
Would you recommend the water pump gets done at the first ( 40K cambelt change ? I have a 1.6 Zafira on 37k which I assume is the same engine.
Astra Ecotec cambelt change - Chris M
Personally I wouldn't. I did at 80k, but I doubt I will at 120k. Depends how risk averse you are.

Chris M
Would you recommend the water pump gets done at the first ( 40K cambelt change ? I have a 1.6 Zafira on 37k which I assume is the same engine.

How long is a piece of string? A waterpump *could* fail at any time. It *should* however last 80k without any problems. It could even last 120k and onwards.

I look at it this way though, a cambelt kit costs around £100, plus there's the labour charge to fit it. If the pump fails 10k after the belt has been changed, you've got that labour charge all over again for the sake of a failed £30 pump.

Get whoever is doing your belt to give the pump a good inspection to see that there's no sign of leaks and that it spins freely with no signs of play or tightness. That's not to say it won't fail anyway, but it should give some indication as to it's condition.