Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - nervous girl buyer
A tale of two diesels..For the same money: a new citroen C4 2.0Hdi, or a six month old, 7K miles on the clock, Nissan Primera 2.2Td. Wanted for upcoming spate of long motorway journeys, specific requirements comfort, reasonable frugality, few toys, bit of fun. Which??
PS Does the very soft accelerator on the C4 get tiring after a while? On the test drive I felt I had to keep my foot slightly elevated to avoid surging ahead - it offered no support.Dealer said no-one else has ever complained - do you get used to it or have I got odd legs?!
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Xileno {P}
I drove a 1.6 HDi in France a while back and can't remember the pedal being soft, in fact I struggled to find anything I didn't like about the car.

My choice would be the C4, I am not a Nissan fan. Yes the Primera may be reliable but it also looks like it was styled by a disinterested six year old, IMHO.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - scott1s
I have the Primera and on motorways its supremely comfy. recommend it
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Aprilia
The C4 is a great car - the only snag is that its made by Citroen.
Oh yes, silly me.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Aprilia
Oh yes, silly me.

>>

Don't worry about it.

As you noted in your post above, "Yes the Primera may be reliable" - that's pretty much a basic requirement for any car that's not used as a weekend toy - so the Primera is the one to go for.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Martin Wall
There were some ads in the news items in the past few months for the Nissan Primera 1.8 Flare at under £8500. Ok, so it's petrol but if it could be bought at that price who needs diesel?

Don't know if this offer is still available however...
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - steve.m
I tried to buy the Primera Flare from a couple of brokers when they were advertised below £9k but they could not supply, so I ended up at the dealers and paid £2k below list. Thoroughly pleased with the purchase and I think it would be hard to match the quality/price ratio elsewhere. The diesel version of the Primera is no longer available new.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Altea Ego
specific requirements........, bit of fun.

hmmm - scratch one primera.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - mrmender
no contest primera every time
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Collos25
I have been running a Primera 2.2 sve since December and it really is a superb car it has averaged 38.6 mpg according to the computer none of which is on long runs will try it later this month when I go home to Dresden.The car is well screwed together drives well is comfortable and has all the toys for little boys ,the camara is bit of a farce but the phone and navigation are great,the boot is not flat which I find strange. The only problem I have had is gear selector cable bracket break and Nissan had no stock so I made one myself till the proper part arrived oh and I lost a key £120 to replace trade.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Jase
I have owned an '03 2.2 SE estate for about 6 weeks now and use it as a commuting car. I travel 34miles each way mainly motorway miles and there's mostly 3 and sometimes 4 blokes in it. The first three fills, calculated manually, have yielded between 40.5 and 43.8MPG. The computer is always pessimistic(sp?) btw. I travel at 80MPH on the motorway. I think its a really good motorway car. The diesel engine is a bit clattery at start up and around town but on the motorway it settles down and you don't notice it. It has good performance once on the move aswell, although its not the quickest off the line. I've not driven any other diesels so I don't know how the 2.2 compares to rivals firsthand, although reports indicate others do it better in terms of MPG and refinement.

Issues - My turbo blew shortly after getting it, which is a very expensive repair. Simmer it and change the oil regularly is the advice. It now has an oil leak from around the gearbox apparently which Nissan think maybe a "half shaft" seal. So they are not glitch free. Saying that it's got 77K on it so maybe thats fair play..

I would say they are good cars, a bit different and if bought at the right price, i.e. cheap, then a go-er.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Duchess
I've been driving the Nissan (as a company car) since May last year. Most of my driving is motorway or fast A roads and I get about 45mph. The toys are great - once you've had the sat nav with traffic updates, you'll never want to be without it.

As for the look of the car, well, you either love it (I do) or hate it (as TVM and my boss do).

My only gripe is that it seems to have the turning circle of the Titanic but that may be user error rather than a failing of the car!

Thats the bad point turning circle the previous model was just the same.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - MichaelR
What a rather puzzling choice.

Surely if you are in the market for a C4 it is the Almera you'd be looking at, and if you are in the market for a Primera perhaps it is the C5 which should get your consideration?

What next 'Help me chose, Mini One or BMW 7 Series'?
"What a rather puzzling choice."

Initially perhaps, but sometimes car choices can span different sectors. Sometimes your hands are tied, for example if you have family and dogs then you will probably be looking at one sector such as MPV or estate. When I wanted to replace the Laguna my choices were IIRC:

Another Laguna
Megane
BMW 3 Series
Golf
Focus
Honda CRV
MG ZT

So a pretty mixed bag, I think you will agree...
I think another issue to be considered is that the Primera is probably very near the end of its production run (the diesel and 2 litre petrol engines are no longer available as options). The advantages are that the niggles in earlier models have been addressed with modifications to ride and handling qualities and a revamp of the interior in mid-2004, and some very good bargains to be had with extra toys thrown in. Modifications, if any, and reliability data for the C4 are yet to come. Much of the reliability issue that has been reported with the Primera appears to be with the diesel. Nissan's warranty can be extended to 5 years for an extra payment of just over £400.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Citroënian {P}
My 2p is that the C4 is a great car hampered by rubbish dealers. I like the Primera - there's a lot of taxi drivers in Newcastle use them and that must say something about their reliability.

Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Altea Ego
They also drink Newcastle Brown Ale which says a lot about their taste.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - jase1
To mention nothing of the French culinary tastes.....
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Citroënian {P}
I'm not sure anyone in the North East really drinks Broon ale (or "dog"). Think it mainly an export for trendies and homesick exiles....

Don't drink and drive!!
Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Welsh and Irsih
I bought a Primera because it was built in the UK and I would be keeping a British worker in a job rather than a French one.

Entirely happy with it until today when i left it in for a 17,000 mile servicing for which a Nissn dealer is trying to charge me almost £800.

If relability and patrioism aregoing to influence you go for the Nissan but don't get it serviced by a main dealer.

Good luck.

Aidan
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - cheddar
I would say neither though where as the Primera is odd looking quirky and boring at least the C4 is odd looking quirky and vaguely interesting.

As has been said a strange choice though. C4 size, I would prefer a Focus, Megane or Golf, Primera size, a Mondeo, 3 Series, Accord or perhaps a new Passat.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - machika
I would say neither though where as the Primera is odd
looking quirky and boring at least the C4 is odd looking
quirky and vaguely interesting.
As has been said a strange choice though. C4 size, I
would prefer a Focus, Megane or Golf, Primera size, a Mondeo,
3 Series, Accord or perhaps a new Passat.

>>

Well, I'm used to seeing Citroens condemned for being unreliable but, it is the first time I have seen anyone say that the C4 is odd looking. To me it is a very good looking design, which is the opinion of a lot of other people too, and certainly better looking than the new Focus.

As for the choice of the C4 or or Primera, yes, that is a little odd if one is considering the size of the respective cars but not if one is looking at price. No way would a 3 series, Accord or new Passat be in the same price bracket.

it is the first time I have seen anyone say that
the C4 is odd looking. >>

Odd looking from the front and odd looking in a 407 kind of way, they both seem to try too hard. Re the Focus I was not a great fan of the new model's looks a year ago though it has grown on me.
Entirely happy with it until today when i left it in
for a 17,000 mile servicing for which a Nissn dealer is
trying to charge me almost £800.

Good grief how did it add up to £800 if you do not mind me asking?
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - fossyant
£800 service - how did that come about ? My P12 (new model) Primera petrol SVE is 4 years old now and has been very reliable, but I've serviced it myself - very easy to maintain !

The toys are fantastic though. Bought mine at 1 year old and saved almost £7k on new !
Well since you ask, yes price has bought me to this comparison -but also maybe a tiny mid-life crisis:- my head tells me to settle down to a reliable but boring mondeo-style future, but my heart wants me to nip about in a little sporty-ish number. As I have a dog, a hatch is essential, I only want diesel, the new Civic is much pricier and just too boy-racer, the Seat Leon is very pretty and punchy but you cant see out of it (call me old fashioned but I like to see just a bit of the outside from my car), a Golf is also pricey and nothing to look at, and buying either a Focus or Mondeo would make me feel my life was over and euthanaisa the only option.

The Primera to my eyes is a tad more stylish to look at, the toys make it a little less dull and it would do the comfy sturdy mondeo job while allowing me to feel a bit less ancient and sensible and conformist. On the other hand,its not a exactly wild-child car - and that citroen is not only pretty but damn nippy in the 2.0l diesel form - and a lot of nice new car for the money. But not if it will mean many dealer visits to sort out niggles... I've not found a lot of 'furious C4 driver' type postings around the net however, so maybe no need for pessimism?
The Carsurvey.org site has 16 reviews, 11 happy owners, 4 OK and 1 unhappy.
For what the citroen or the Nissan?
Sorry, the Citroen. Not counting the Primeras, too many...
tells me to settle down to a reliable but boring mondeo-style future, but my heart wants me to nip about in a little sporty-ish number .............

.............. and buying either a Focus or Mondeo would make
me feel my life was over and euthanaisa the only option.

A worse case of either gross misinforamtion or blatant stereotyping would be hard to find.

The fact is that the Mondeo and Focus are amongst the most intersting and enjoyable to drive cars in their respective classes. They can both put a smile on your face down a twisty back road as well as be economical, practical and reliable.

On the otherhand a Primera may well be accused of being automotive anaesthetic.
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Welsh and Irsih
8< SNIP 8<

someone else who doesn't understand no swearing means just that - DD}
On the otherhand a Primera may well be accused of being
automotive anaesthetic.

I would match my 2.2dci against any equivalent Ford product
anyday in all aspects of performance.
"A worse case of either gross misinforamtion or blatant stereotyping would be hard to find."....

No! Just what you say = I KNOW the Focus and Mondeo are 'economical practial and reliable' - that's the point! Thats why there are a zillion of them on the road and they'd be the SENSIBLE choice! Please tell me I'm not so old that I've gone all SENSIBLE....

But seriously many thanks for all the comments, and all things considered I've decided to pick up the phone and order the Citroen (gulp). V useful comments from all including pointers to carsurvey.org etc make me feel that the Citroen is at least not known to be commonly problematic so far, and, well, I've had a burst of spring enthusiasm and decided to just go for it.

But for what it's worth I too think the Nissan is actually nice looking, and if I could have found one with a swishy leather interior would have gone for it. OK, here goes...go faster stripes or not go faster stripes....
Citroen C4 v. Nissan Primera - Alijazz
Dear Nervous Girl Buyer,

I just gave in to the mid-life crisis and ordered a Suzuki Swift with stripes and spoilers. In black and white. The journey started out with my considering alternatives to my Fiat Panda. It is easy to be corrupted in here.

The Swift isn't as small as it looks or you might think. Warning though. It isn't very available. We are all waiting for our Swifts to come in.

Whatever you buy, add something mad, like spoilers and stripes. Otherwise you might get to < insert terrible old age here > and regret never having been SILLY about your car.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide. I keep looking at the C4 only because it is on telly a lot and looks nice, and my Swift is taking so long to come. I've been waiting almost five days already!

Alijazz

WOW. The forum software removed my snip, which said "insert some terrible-sounding old age in here".

Maybe insertion is banned in here.

{Not banned. However, putting a less than symbol ( < ) at the start, and a greater than symbol ( > ) at the end of the text makes the wording invisible. Now edited, btw. DD}
Hi DD,

Great moderating. And extremely quick, might I add. I should have known better, shouldn't I?

Thanks for changing it.

Alijazz