Spend or give up . - welshy
My new shape Vectra has now done 130,000 miles and is a bit unwell at present . Its had new springs and shocks , but still rides awfull banging over bumps and just feels awfull !

In my current financial position im not able to buy a New low mileage car , basically the majority of garages want at least £1000 deposit on a used car. Been looking at Mondeo diesels, Laguna Diesels with around 70,000 miles on them.

My question is..............do I just plough £1000 into My Vectra or just give up on the lady ?

Please give me some thoughts , as Im just about to drive the car off a cliff.
Spend or give up . - Nash
Is it diesel? Have you noticed the banging occuring just at the front of the car or one side?

I had a Volvo V40T4 which used to snap a linkage between engine and chassis every 20-30000 miles, when it snapped the ride at the front of the car went to pot. Only cost about £80 to fix.

If its diesel and the engine is still ok, I'd be tempted to try and find the cause of the bad ride, before 'pushing' it off a cliff. I'd only drive it off if things got really bad!
Its a petrol .
The main noise is at the rear , this is going to sound silly BUT these square speed ramps that are about if i go over them squarley both rear wheels hitting the ramp it bangs , if i go over with just one of either rear wheels it just wafts over no noise . Work that one out ! Its baffling me .
Spend or give up . - Number_Cruncher
I suppose the difference is that in one case the anti-roll bar gets wound up, and if you go over straight, the anti-roll bar will be unstressed.

I would check all the fittings and bushes that connect to the anti-roll bar. A good friend of mine had a similar case with his Vectra.

Number_Cruncher
So try rear anti roll bar bushes and drop links ? These have never been changed , but the fronts have . Upon inspections of the fronts b4 the change all garages said they where fine , it was only until I had them changed for my piece of mind that the garage said they where knackered .
>>So try rear anti roll bar bushes and drop links ?

From what you've said, I would look closely at anything connected to the anti-roll bar(s) - is it really obvious that the noise comes from the rear?

Of course, it's possible that it's something silly like the exhaust banging against the body - you haven't been to an outfit the offers to install tyres and/or exhausts with minimum delay have you?

Number_Cruncher
Spend or give up . - Civic8
>>So try rear anti roll bar bushes and drop links ?

More than likely the problem!,drop links or bushes
--
Steve
Spend or give up . - Dynamic Dave
The main noise is at the rear ,

I take it you've checked the obvious - that being the parcel shelf isn't loose, or that the hatch / boot spacer rubber mounts and striker plate are correctly adjusted?

(ignore parcel shelf if a saloon and not a hatch)
Hi Dave,,,,,,,yes checked the obvious .
Spend or give up . - Nash
Bin it.
Ok
Spend or give up . - mss1tw
You've just replaced basically the whole suspension system, it's got to be bushes. These are fairly cheap to replace.

I can't see the point in chucking it now myself. Maybe, before you replaced shocks and springs.
Ok guys this is what has been re-newed . Its had new springs and shocks all round , front anti roll bar bushes and and the front drop-links. New steering rack and track rods.

Rear its had top stabilser arms , these have the dreaded roise bushes on them , which in the new vectra you cannot just buy bushes you have to buy the complete arm .The noise is deff from the rear , its had the radiator bushed done and the rear spot weld added on the rear pillar .

What a nightmare ! Shall I just give up and buy a 70,000 mile Laguna 2003 year , its an estate 1.9dci .
Spend or give up . - MichaelR
Bin it and buy something decent and reliable.

Ie not a Renault Laguna.
Spend or give up . - mss1tw
Maybe something silly like spare tyre cradle, exhaust. Could it be wheel bearings? Have you checked the wheels are on tight? (Clutching at straws)
dont have the cradle for spare wheel , its a space saver in the boot. Exhaust nope , wheel bearings are all fine and the bolts are on tight . Thanks for the advice though .:)
Spend or give up . - Altea Ego
Oh yes so unreliable its only managed 70k miles in 3 years.....
And of course all those NCAP stars are not worth the paper they are printed on

A 2003 1.9dci is where renault started to get it right.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So this would be Ok then ? The Laguna Dci 1.9 estate its a 53 plate Dynamique .Guess it would more economical too than the Vectra ?
did 47k in a 2003 1.9dci. Needed a new clutch master cylinder. But that's all apart from routine servicing.

Averaged 49mpg over the whole 47k (half town driving)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>What a nightmare !

Welshy, you seem to have more than your fair share of trouble with your Vectra.

How did you buy your car? from new? has it had a hard life?

Having said that, I think the idea of replacing a Vectra with a Renault for reasons of quality and reliability is, at least, "interesting"!

Number_Cruncher
I have just been thinking long and hard once more . If I was to change every rubber bush on the rear would this cost in excess of £1000 ? Please dont laugh , as I just drive the car im no mechanic . As from my previous posts only thing that isnt new on the front at present is the lower wishbone arms . I have been reading about the Lagunas and they seem a bit un reliable, maybe thats why they are fairly cheap in the 2nd hand car market ?
Spend or give up . - Lud
Just a thought, but sometimes over those awful speed bumps an object in the boot or rear of the car that isn't tied down - like the piece of timber I use to prop up the rear door of my estate, the struts being knackered - can jump off the floor and come down with a bang. Even the spare wheel perhaps.
Spend or give up . - Hugo {P}
If I was to change every rubber bush on the rear
would this cost in excess of £1000 ?

Absolutely not.

I would carefully consider the bushes as mentioned above. I had a similar problem with a Renault 11 on the front Anti Rollbar. A new bush sorted this out.

I really think you need to find a good independent who can advise on this. It sounds like the one you've used up until now are missing the problem.

Alternitively place the question on the technical matters forum...

H
Will be buying a 2 year old VW passat diesel in the week. The Vectra is just getting me down now its one thing after another now . Looked at Lagunas and to be honest the diesel engines on them sound rough , compared to the VW unit .I find the driving position in the Laguna also uncomfortable compared to the VW .

Thoughts please ?
Spend or give up . - MichaelR
Try a TDCi Mondeo before you go for a Passat, looks and feels similar to the Passat but has a slightly more up to date interior and the TDCi engine is very good. The power delivery style of the PD engines in the Passats can take some getting used to.
Spend or give up . - Xileno {P}
"Thoughts please ?"

My thoughts are, horses for courses. I have both VW and Renaults so have no axe to grind one way or the other. I personally have found the Renault dCi engines to be quieter than the VAG units.

Driving positions are a personal thing, you need to spend some time getting all the adjustments right. Often a test drive is too short to do this.

You won't go far wrong with a VW. I like them, although I also like Renaults, different solutions to the same question IMHO. With any make, you will get some things go wrong, the important thing is that you have a good dealer who can sort things out for you.
I found the passat which is the SE model more cosy and comfortable . The Laguna was a Dinamique which had hald leather and loads of toys , but the driving position and the ambient interior to be boring . Dont know why , it just did. The VW sounded much more of a solid car also. It just felt safer on the road driving it strange huh ?
Spend or give up . - cheddar
The Laguna 1.9 DCi is much more refined than a 1.9 TDi Passat so if the Laguna you drove was rough in comparison then there was probably something wrong with it. Likewise a Mondeo TDCi is more refined than the Passat and is also much better to drive, the Mondeo handles where as the Passat is soggy, The Passat Sport is a bit better than an S or SE in this regard. A Passat or Mondeo will cost more than a Laguna or Vectra of the same age mileage.

Must say, if you have only incurred that cost on your Vectra in the last 20k miles then it has not served you too badly.
Oh im in such a damned dilema , im sure im really getting on all of your nerves now ?

Would you believe im now going to keep the Vectra , I just cant part with it . Ive spent so much money and time on the car I dont think its really justifiable is it ?

If I buy another car , such as the Passat which has 80,000 miles on , wouldnt I be in the same position a year down the road ie new shocks etc......I admit that one day the Vectra will have to go , but now ?!?!
Look at it in the sense that you can only spend so much before it becomes a liability,really works both ways,you either give in or get shot(knowing amount spent)and biting the bullet- as I have done (once on a Carlton)had so many faults cropping up time after time.

decided enough was enough and moved on
--
Steve
Spend or give up . - Nsar
"Oh im in such a damned dilema , im sure im really getting on all of your nerves now ?" You obviously haven't seen the little car for £8k thread....
After new rack , track rod arms , springs , shocks its still got the knocking noise , more so with the engine off and then rock the steering wheel left and right . The garage has now said its deffinatly the universal joints that go from the steering column down to the rack , it goes through the floor and conects to the steering rack . The garage tech. showed me , he had someone in the car rocking the steering and he said feel that , i could feel play in it , and also the universal joint rod thing you could move it up and down slightly . He said thats the cause !! Thoughts ???
Not exactly from rear is it,those joints will give small amount of play and slight knock as will column bearing but not enough normally to be intrusive.

Not convinced thats the problem and think garage looking in wrong area,but thats my oppinion!?
--
Steve
Spend or give up . - cheddar
Aha, I had a 96 and a 98 Vectra, both had clonking through the steering caused by the sliding thingy that lets the column colapse upon a severe impact, it was eventually cured on the 98 V6 though I cannot remember what they did, a new lower column IIRC. The same symptoms can occur on a Mondeo though it is easily cured by adjustment of the column.
I know have a front creak ! Sorry guys i must be getting on your nerves now , I know my car is ! Anyway , the slight knock is still there , but im getting like a creaky noise on front O/S , would lower wishbone arms cause the car to feel weird on the steering and make this odd noise . It pulls slightly to the left , but braking its dead straight no pulling at all . 130,000ish miles still on original wishbones .
Does it have a current MOT? if it does turn the radio up.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >