Fiat Punto clutch on way out? Plus revs! - puntosx60
I own a manual 1998 punto SX60. I'm a girl - please be kind!!!!

1st - clutch is starting to make whining/dragging noise at the start of depressing the clutch pedal, on all gears. Any clues?

2nd - When the car is sitting idle in queues and my feet are nowhere near the pedals, the engine revs, almost to point that I think it's going to stall. No amount of mileage seems to make any difference - when hot or cold. Again, any clues? I think this has been a problem for years, but I've noticed it's been getting worse in the last month.

I spent about £550 in November (heater matrix for one, plus service/MOT etc etc), so if it's anything seems obvious and you might estimate how much I might have to spend at my local garage (not a Fiat dealer) I'd appreciate it alot.

Thanks!
Fiat Punto clutch on way out? Plus revs! - Civic8
>>clutch is starting to make whining/dragging noise at the start of depressing the clutch pedal, on all gears. Any clues?

are you sure you dont mean noise dissapears on depressing the pedal?.Hope I read you correctly?
--
Steve
Hi Steve,

Er, I think you're right - when I push the pedal to the floor, no noise, when I start to release the pedal from the floor the noise starts and gradually disappears as the pedal is released. Hope that makes sense. Cheers.
Sounds like clutch release bearing,unless its very annoying or is causing problems ie clutch slip/gearchange problems.
I would leave it untill problems occur,they usually last lifetime of clutch,but get noisy as bearings dry up/wear

--
Steve
Thanks Steve - much appreciated.
Anyone have any ideas on the revs? When idle at 1000rpm, it revs below that level to about 500 and then back up to 1000 again - probably every second. Thanks in advance.
Didnt answer that one as wasnt certain of Fiat,but as its surging would suggest its water temp sensor faulty,again not certain of problems relating to Fiat so may be wrong?
--
Steve
Fiat Punto clutch on way out? Plus revs! - Collos25
It is either the stepper motor (expensive)or its sensor (cheapish)
Just done the same job on a Punto with the same symptons ,luckily it was the sensor.
Ta - I'm hoping it'll be the cheaper option!! I might wait just a bit longer and get it sorted when I've paid for the last major work. Cheers.
Fiat Punto clutch on way out? Plus revs! - Big John
I agree and disagree. It does sound like the clutch release bearing, BUT dont leave it. This is a common problem. In time the release bearing can start wearing through the tube surrounding the gearbox input shaft, this would be fine on most cars but on a Punto it is part of the casing. I.E. The job changes from a simple(cheapish) clutch change to a full clutch and gearbox replacement (expensive).
Fiat Punto clutch on way out? Plus revs! - Collos25
Thats true.
Ooh blimey - I better get it sorted out sooner rather than later. Or, I could scrap the car and use my vespa instead!!!!