Alfa TS HT leads - Alan Talbot
At some time in the past, during a service at an Alfa approved garage, a number of HT leads have been damaged (I know this sounds dodgy but I have enough circumstantial evidence to believe it is true). I've tried to get hold of a replacement set, but Alfa can only provide a "Power Pack" at £500 to include all HT leads and the main coil.

Does anyone know if there's an independent supplier of aftermarket leads? Alfa tells me that the HT leads are matched to the main coil, which I find difficult to believe, could this be correct? I'm more than happy to buy individual leads, even at Alfa mark-up prices, but I really don't want to shell out £500 for a couple of HT leads!
Re: Alfa TS HT leads - Andrew Hamilton
I thought all HT leads were either a carbon core or wire with RF suppressing. Surely the critical requirements are equal lengths and long enough so the lead is not under tension. The current is so low that as long as it insulates the HV it should be OK. In the past I have cut leads shorter to fit other engines.
Re: Alfa TS HT leads - Alan Talbot
Regrettably not. The Alfa leads (I am relaibly informed) contain a secondary coil within the spark plug connector, which is in itself some 6" long (and contains a rubber gaiter) due to the location of the spark plugs within the cylinder head.
Re: Alfa TS HT leads - John Slaughter
This sounds more like individual coils for each spark plug, rather than just HT leads from a common coil. Is this the case? If so, no wonder it's so costly!

Regards

John
Re: Alfa TS HT leads - Alan Talbot
As I say, I believe there's a separate (secondary) coil per plug, but also a main central coil - Alfa are very vague about just what a "Power Pack" consists of, and I have no access to the area to check because the sparks plugs are covered with a Torx fitted plate that I don't have the right size Torx driver to open. I'm a mechanically minded person, but I don't like messing with kit that I have no service manual for, and I also don't like shelling out £500 for a part that I know I don't need in its entirety.

I don't wish to replace the entire Power Pack, "just" the leads for 3 of the eight spark plugs that I am informed have been damaged. Alfa say its not possible, its an all or nothing (including the central unit that the leads are "matched" to), hence the question as to whether they're talking sense, whether I've been mislead by the service agent (highly unlikely given the superb help I've had from him in other areas), or if the "leads" are available from a third party manufacturer.