unsold BMW - apm
Hi all,

I recently left an ad for my gf's car on the classifieds section here, also in autotrader, and on my work intranet. Have had not a peep of interest, except from those awful 'car matching' companies.

It's a 2000V 318Ci, E46, 69k, lilac blue in colour, not leather but autochanger & autodim rear view mirror. Very good condition. I put it in at £9k.

Is the price too high? Is this a bad time of year? Any suggestions (ebay, for example)? She's already found a Honda Accord owned by a friend's father- we're keen to sell, as Accord's owner is waiting to take delivery of his new company car.

Ta in advance,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
unsold BMW - Altea Ego
Lilac Blue? yuk

2000 W Reg BMW 318 Ci Manual 5 speed, Coupe, Petrol, silver metallic with full black leather interior, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Computer, Electric . . . . *multi-photos(trade) £7,850

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
unsold BMW - cheddar
I would say simply too pricey.
unsold BMW - Peter S
I hope he means steel blue, that silvery/grey/blue colour that was popular on E46 BMWs. Looks quite nice IMO. If not, and it really is lilac...
unsold BMW - Aprilia
I sell quite a few cars (just sold a couple on eBay) and it depends on various factors - including how long you are prepared to wait. On balance though, £9000 seems a little dear for one of those, although prices vary across the country and I understand people in London and the Home Counties are prepared to pay higher prices.
unsold BMW - nutty_nissan
Looking at valuation on www.whatcar.co.uk, private sale is £6,630. Reduce to £8k and see if you get anything..
unsold BMW - Aprilia
In my experience What Car? is none too accurate (not for my part of the world, anyway). I agree that dropping it £1000 or so might do the trick - try £7890. I think there are quite a few buyers coming out of the woodwork now - just needs a few sunny weekends!
unsold BMW - apm
Thanks all. It is that silvery/ grey/ bluey colour, which has a hint of mauve(?), that's popular on E46's.

I did think it was a little overpriced, but my other half is keen to get as much as poss. Will readvertise at £8250, I think.

Fingers crossed...

Alex.

PS thinking of taking the Honda off friend's father's hands- would insurance co cover it at a reasonable rate, or sting us for a fortune?

--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
you are a miner.
unsold BMW - CJay{P}
The car is 6 years old, and has the feeble 1.9 (compared to the 2.0 Vanos unit) - so as others have said £9k is way too much.

I have a 52 plate, C220CDI Avantgarde, manual, saloon, with 95k on clock. I am asking for 9950 - plenty of calls, several offers for just £9k. I have refused to let it go for 10 days now, I might have to give in.

unsold BMW - Aprilia
Based on my recent experience of selling a few Mercs I would say £9k is a fair price for one at that mileage - I would take it.
unsold BMW - CJay{P}
Thanks Aprilia - i was hoping that you would respond. I (well through Joe Dowd to be precise) paid £9.5k in November for this. So, cars have come down a significant bit.
unsold BMW - Rodger
well as someone who is buying. There seems to be acres of this country covered in unused newish cars. In the "prestige" petrol and auto combination there must be thousands for sale and not many buyers. Is this surprising? Personal debt is at Trillions,
energy prices are rocketing, UK car retailers are consolidating.
I think prices are going one way for the next 2/3 years and that is DOWN. So if you're selling do not expect a good price! Not from me anyway.
unsold BMW - machika
Having recently seen a number of pristine, less than one year old, Saab 9-5 2.0t Autos for under £12k, I wouldn't be spending £9k on a 6 year old BMW 318, convertible or not.
unsold BMW - Aprilia
Having recently seen a number of pristine, less than one year
old, Saab 9-5 2.0t Autos for under £12k, I wouldn't be
spending £9k on a 6 year old BMW 318, convertible or
not.

You're comparing apples and oranges though....

Anyway, I agree that the 9-5 2.0t auto is a damn good car for the current prices they are selling at. I had a brand new example of one of the last of the 'old style' models late last year and it was a very good drive.
unsold BMW - apm
I agree with much that has been said. My experience of the BMW is that it is a good car, but not 2.5 times as good as the Accord that will replace it. And also not as good (in my opinion) as my old Leon Cupra (which sold for £8500- for a 53 plate). Still, you pays your money... and the 3-series coupe carries a certain kudos, if you like that sort of thing (personally I don't)

I do like Saabs (especially the latest 9-3), but have heard stories about questionable reliability recently- if it were my money (on a modern car), I'd be looking at Japanese or poss VAG (Skoda or SEAT rather than VW or Audi). Then again, I bought a 35 year-old British car, so my sanity may be questionable itself!!

I'm going to re-advertise at £8000, take £7500 (or rather she will!), should hope to get a nibble.

Cheers for your input!
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
you are a miner.