smoke gets in your eyes - dodo
Right - over here in N Ireland the beginning of March has brought with it another way to make us all buy new cars. All cars registered after 1994 now face a particularly srict emission test with all the revving of diesel engines that has been a feature of MOT on the mainland for some time. In NI all tests are conducted by the Government at test centres where you can wait 3 months for a test.
Has anyone found a good additive or mixture that can be applied pre MOT to cut smoke- particularly from a diesel engine. All leads gratefully accepted!
smoke gets in your eyes - bell boy
first thing you want to make sure is that the operator knows what he is doing as some of them think its ok to hold the throttle open over here,after that give your vehicles regular oil/filter changes run the vehicle up dead warm before entering for the mot and use good quality fuel from a known supplier.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
smoke gets in your eyes - andymc {P}
Whereabouts are you dodo? I'm in N. Antrim. Not expecting any problems running on biodiesel that I buy in Belfast.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
smoke gets in your eyes - dodo
In Fermanagh incidentally. Did someone mention something called cataclean some time ago. Beginning to panic as my old Vento TD is up soon!
smoke gets in your eyes - David Horn
I never understood why people get so worried about the diesel emissions test. Last time I had mine done the mechanic simply blipped the throttle... I thrash it a lot harder every week.

Got a filthy look from a couple of pedestrians this morning after I started my car in -5C temperatures. Haven't actually driven it for 2 weeks and one glow plug is out, so although it caught on the first rotation there was a lot of spluttering, coughing, and grey smoke which poured out the exhaust and enveloped the couple. Oops.
smoke gets in your eyes - bell boy
I never understood why people get so worried about the diesel
emissions test.

as i said a lot of testers do not have mechanical diesel sympathy ,if your tester has then stick with him for your own sake.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
smoke gets in your eyes - mss1tw
Is it any different mechanically to taking your diesel up to the limiter as advised in the FAQ's?