5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - dave1234
Got 5k to spend, want a car roughly the size above if not smaller as new, reliable and cheap to run as possible. All suggestions welcome
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - NowWheels
Dave, if you want new and cheap, and reliable, then you sound like you are starting with similar requirements to those which led me to a Nissan Almera. Very reliable, remarkably cheap, but seem to be regarded as desperately uncool in the UK -- which is largely why they are so cheap. Your money will buy you much newer Almera than a Focus or 307, and Honda Civics seem to be even more expensive: Autotrader's listings suggest that your £5k should easily get you a two-year old Almera 1.5S 5-door, with under 20k miles, and possibly an SE.

I have only had my Almera for a week, but so far I find that it is very good to drive (easy controls, sharp handling), but rides a little more bouncily than I would like. The interior isn't up with the latest fashions, but seems fine in use. Even if you aren't initially attracted, I'd commend a test-drive.

One question: do you need five doors, or could you make do with three? For some reason, a 3-door Almera seems to be valued at much less than the 5-door.
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - dave1234
Thanks Nowwheels, not an option i had thought of. 3 doors would do me fine. Where would be the best place to buy, private or supermarket, auction etc?
Thanks Nowwheels, not an option i had thought of. 3 doors
would do me fine.

It is definitely cheaper, tho do think carefully before buying. Personally, I think 3dr cars are a buisance, but if your friends are younger and more agile than mine it might suit you.
Where would be the best place to
buy, private or supermarket, auction etc?

I was too scared to try an auction -- I reckoned that I'd not know how to do it well, and might end up with a pup. The supermarkets have some good prices: www.cargiant.co.uk and www.trade-sales.co.uk have some good offers (e.g. choice of 18month old 3doors at Trade Sales for under £5k), other supermarkets such as availablecars.com seem a few hundred pricier. But those 3door models at Trade Sales look to me like a real bargain -- you'd be hard pressed to get a Fiesta-sized car of similar age for that money.

Some dealers seem to ask silly prices for them (like 30% over book price), but I ended up going to a dealer who had one at a reasonable price, and haggled them down to below supermarket price. (When looking at supermarket prices, don't forget to read the small print -- you end up paying a bit more than the sticker price, for a "preparation fee" etc). I may just have been lucky.

I didn't try private, partly because there were no attractive private offers, and partly because I didn't feel confident about it; you may differ.

You may find it useful to read some of the (rather long) threads in which I got lots of good advice from helpful backroomers:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35781
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38530
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38692
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39175

As you'll see, there are plenty of wise folk here who would try hard to steer you away from an Almera. They might be right -- it depends what you want.

One thing to be wary of about an Almera is that because they are uncool, they may be harder to sell on. Probably depends on how long you want to keep it.

Hope this helps!
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - barchettaman
An Astra G has got to be worth a look. Quite a lot of car for the money - and I´m very happy with mine (99V, 1.8CDX estate, 84K, 2.4grand)
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - jase1
An Astra G has got to be worth a look. Quite
a lot of car for the money - and I´m very
happy with mine (99V, 1.8CDX estate, 84K, 2.4grand)

Astra's fine as long as the seats suit. I drove one for about 1000 miles in ten lots of a hundred and on each occasion I had pains in the back, legs etc for days afterwards. Would never entertain the notion of driving one again. Others have said similar things, so while they may be good cars, the seats may or may not be a problem. (I took an instant dislike to this car anyway, the gearchange is hideous, there was no space for me to spread myself out and the clutch on the one I drove very heavy).
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - Adam {P}
Don't listen to her Dave!!!

Seriously though, you'll get a cracking Focus, Astra, Civic - any of those types of cars really. Mind you, you'd get a cracking Almera too. And by cracking I mean a sterile, boring, reliable, solid workhorse. Like NW says, depends what you want really.

Even I'd chose an Almera over a 307 though - not sure I could live with all that unreliability!
5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - local yokel
How much do you want to enjoy driving it?? If you want to remember that driving can be a pleasure, I'd suggest the Focus. It's not an Impreza, but as Euroboxes go, it's better than about 80% of them, IMHO.
Don't listen to her Dave!!!

:P
Seriously though, you'll get a cracking Focus, Astra, Civic - any
of those types of cars really. Mind you, you'd get a
cracking Almera too.

5k will buy an 18-month old Almera. What vintage of Focus, Astra or Civic will it get?

5k. Focus, Civic, 307 or anything else? - Adam {P}
An 02 plate Focus I'd imagine. No idea as to the Astra or Civic though.