hpi check - nathnamdo
Does anyone know why a HPI check on the official site (www.hpicheck.com ) is so expensive (£40) when compared to the check (also a HPI check) offered on the ebay site (£6.99).
hpi check - local yokel
Are you comparing like with like? - ISTR that the ebay check covers less data.
hpi check - nathnamdo
This is the problem. I am not sure whether they are the same product or not - does anyone know if this is the case or not. The product offered by ebay (here is a sample report www.vehiclestatusreport.co.uk/check/sampleResults....o ) say it is powered by HPI and offers a £10 000 guarantee. Are there different types of checks?
hpi check - d_j_burton
I think the ebay one will probably not guarantee mileage but I could be wrong. I have seen other HPI checks that vary in price because of the mileage check.
hpi check - normd
A "real" HPI check traces the history of the car from day 1. It can track it through any number plate changes and verifies any major structural repairs. The cheapie one (more or less) says the car exists.
hpi check - nathnamdo
if you look at the sample hpi report supplied by ebay (see the original post), it has a section on mileage. Is this what you are referring to?
hpi check - Martin Devon
Do you really believe the E-bay jobby will be the same. Do us a favour will you. You ain't going to get all the checks and a guarantee worth a toss for SEVEN quid now are you. I recently put a ten year old Merc through HPI and when I got some of the official details wrong in or on the form then they knew that I was wrong and the system corrected me. It seemed and I hope it still is......BOMBPROOF.

VBR...........MD
hpi check - DavidHM
Before being so dismissive, I think it's worth pointing out that the trade will HPI anything including a £10 at auction F-plate Renault 5, or whatever.

Whether on a subscription basis or at a very low marginal cost, it is certainly possible to carry out an HPI check far more cheaply than the amount charged to retail customers).

Incidentally, you can get an HPI check done through the RAC for £25, or at least you could when I bought my car privately three months ago.
hpi check - nathnamdo
Thanks David. I certainly suspect that there must be a difference between the 2 (even though they both come from HPI) but does anyone know what the differences are?
hpi check - BobbyG
Auto Express this week has a review of a few HPI checks, the ones they recommend are the RAC one at £24.99 and the AA one at £37.99 Some of the cheaper ones didn't check for outstanding finance!
hpi check - nathnamdo
I did a quick search of the ebay forum and found the following thread which explains (not fully) the differences between the ebay and original HPI check. forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?messageID=207125299&...9 . It does seem good value if the car on auction seems at least genuine.