Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - Clouddz
Hi
I've got a 6yr old 35K Mile 1.4 Civic and I've noticed that it takes 5 turns of the engine before she starts up, at all times. Now normally I wouldn?t care but as my neighbour has the same model car which is a year newer and it starts on the 2nd turn of the engine...??

I put a new Honda original battery as the old one displayed the need charging indicator and I noticed that the starter turned over quicker but it still takes 5 turns to start up.

The car has full service history but only at smaller garages. I'm not sure if the Spark plugs were charged at the last service , but they said they did, these plugs don?t have any brand name on them so I have no idea of the quality of them.

So my question is could old/poor quality spark plugs be causing the slow starting? There are no other running problems with the engine. I was thinking of getting a set of NGK V-Grooved plugs which claim "better Cold starting"? I presume these are platinum plugs NGK code ZFR5F-11

Or could it be something else that?s faulty?
Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - SteVee
I wouldn't think it was just spark plugs - maybe HT leads also.
Can you hear the petrol pump when you first turn ignition on ?
If you wait till the pump stops before cranking, does the engine then start more easily ?
Is the engine producing full power - does it happily go to the red line ? - if it's in a limp home mode due to a failing sensor, then it could take more turns before the ECU knows where all its bits are.
Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - Dude - {P}
Spark plugs can have a major impact on an engine`s performance, in particular with starting difficulties.

If it was my car, I would definitely go ahead with your proposal to fit a full set of NGK`s and will be surprised if it does`nt cure your problem, particularly as the car seems to be running ok once started.!!!
Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - Falkirk Bairn
5 year old Honda - was taking more 2/3 turns to start.

Just serviced - 4 new "ordinary plugs" and it starts 1st time.

Used to have longlife plugs but ordinary plugs replaced every service seems better value.
Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - Dude - {P}
Clouddz - Let us know how you get on when you have fitted the NGK`s, which I`m fairly sure will sort your problem.!!!!
Slow Starting Honda Civic - Spark Plugs? - Clouddz
Thanks for the replies.

SteVee I will try to listen more carefully when starting in the morning, but do you mean waiting in the fist stage of ignition when all the engine check lights come on and off the dash? I always wait till the car done that before cranking the engine.
The engine seems to rev freely.

I suspected it may be the spark plugs, and on enquiring with NGK's technical department there are 3 types for this engine.

The standard Spark Plugs ZFR5F-11 which are V-grooved
The double platinum plugs PZFR5F-11 extra projected, but no v groove.
Or the iridium Spark plugs ZFR5FIX-11

I'm inclined to go with the standard spark plugs as they are the only v- grooved plugs which state better starting. Incidentally the original car manual also point to these plugs and not to the platinums which are suppossed to be more durable?

I'll try to get them fitted on the weekend and report back.