Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Editor
Hiya. A very dear friend of mine is looking for a new family car. They have 2 children, 4 & 11. She is very taken with the scenic & the children love the airplane style folding down tables in the back!! Lives in London, parking on the street. Will be their only car, so won't just be a runaround. Far from it-will be going to South Of France for hols most years & plenty of weekends away. I've read the HJ car by car breakdown-seems reasonable idea. But before she commits I wondered if any of you have any thoughts?

Thank you all.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Round The Bend
We had a Scenic from new in 1998 and ran it for 75,000 trouble free miles over five years. SWMBO has been running a Grand Scenic for past 6 months and very pleased with it. Drives well and easy to park etc.

We have 3 children and the Grand gives the extra 2 pop up seats in the back and we have found that using one of these can help to separate the kids on a long journey without compromising too much on luggage space. If your friend is planning lots of weekends away etc, then could be worth considering the Grand - there are some good deals out there at the moment.

Contrary to popular rumour we have not found the fittings on either of our Scenics to be flimsy and the cars have been entirely reliable.
_______
IanS
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Altea Ego
HAd a scenic 1 for 46k miles of hard family use (child aged 10 - family trips to france, Dog on board etc)

Nothing serious happened or dropped off.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - aahbarnes
We have a Scenic 1.9DCI Priv, 54 reg. Great car to drive, nice flexible engine, gear stick nicely positioned. Interior is very adaptable, storage space everywhere - must be 9 or 10 separate storage pockets with lids. Keyless car idea is great, just have the card in your pocket/bag and the door will open, handy when loading baby into seat.

No real problems so far in nearly 20K miles. A bit of interior trim on the rear pillar is loose, seems to have been cut too small, rear door won't open from outside, but is all being sorted by renault.

I'd recommend one.
wow-speedy replies! Thank you.

Sorry forgot-it's the grand model that they're considering. Dunno if I'll convince to have a diesel though...
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Peter S
I'd have thought the Grand version would need a diesel engine to move it ;-)
Our Grand Scenic is a 1.6 petrol. OK, it's not spectacular but goes OK when wound up.
_______
IanS
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Peter S
No offence intended... We have a 1.6 Megance CC, which is fairly heavy and as you say, once it's wound up it's fine. Never had more than 2 people in it though (have you seen the legroom in the back). Would still be slightly concerned about the acceleration of a fully laden 1.6 Grand Scenic if going on holiday though - 5/6 people plus luggage plus roof box ;-)
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Altea Ego
The grande is seriously weedy with a 1.6

It really needs the 1.9 dci

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - cheddar
I quite like the std Scenic, Grand is a bit out of proportion at the rear, wife wants a Grand to get inlaws in, you can see why I really like the std one! C-max is a viable alternative, recently done 1400 miles in one, good to drive.
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - BobbyG
I have owned 3 Scenics, now on the latest shape model and I would recommend them. I would also, as RF says, go for the 1.9dci model if running a Grand Scenic. Also, if it is for your wife to use, IIRC the Grand does not have a spare tyre unless you pay extra for one?
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - BobbyG
Below is a link to the review I posted a couple of months into ownership. It may be of use.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25131&...f
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - deepwith
Had hired Grand Scenic for three weeks and liked it to drive and really liked the hand brake BUT the seats were showing serious signs of wear on a car that had only done 3,000 miles.
Had T reg Scenic which was a disaster over three years. Four replacement sunroofs, blocked drainage channels from sunroof, entire electrics gave up twice - once on a particularly dangerous stretch of road at night and finally ... passenger well kept filling with water and when I finally persuaded them to check the underneath they found it had never been welded .... and it was not the first one like that they had seen.
excellent reviews BobbyG. Thank you very much for writing them in the 1st place & also for taking the trouble to post link on here. OK ladies & Gents-think that settles that one. Thank you one & all.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Avant
Any thoughts from Scenic owners on how they have held their value? I have been a long-time Renault fan (I had seven in a row) but haven't looked at one recently as most of them depreciate at a rate of knots.

What Car's stats suggest that the diesel Scenics are not so bad -worth 48 % of cost after 3 years.
Value wise 1998 Scenic Alize 1.6 petrol: purchased new 1998 for £13.5k - sold 2003 for £4k. That was 29.6% of original cost after 4.5 years. Acceptable.
_______
IanS
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Gromit {P}
Girlfriend drives a Scenic Mk 1 (01 MY), chosen for high driving position and space to carry two dogs in boot.

Car's interior is very well thought out but some trim quite fragile (walnut trim on dash and blind on rear sunroof came adrift within weeks of collecting car).

1.4 litre petrol desperately underpowered except around town, and stalls easily if car is loaded. Car wallows noticealby when loaded - not a car for the press-on driver. I'd suggest you test drive the engine size you're looking at on as wide a range of road conditions as you can, preferably with plenty weight aboard, before picking one.

Regards,
- Gromit
Renault Scenic-yes or no? - Stonk
Wife had a scenic II (05 54) for a year from new. Nice car with no problems.

Have changed to a New Multipla now. She likes them both but I feel the build quality of the Scenic was far better. I liked all the gadgets but have heard of other owners having minor reliability problems.

Go for the 1.9 DCI Grand Dynamic Plus. I would.