Little help buying a cheap car please - DaveKent
Hi.

I have a Mondeo but I would like a 2nd smaller car.

I only have a grand to spend on one so can you good people be kind enough to help me narrow my list down please.

1. I would like the car to be roomy(ish) (I'm 6ft tall)

2. It would be nice if the engine had a bit of zip to it. (My fiancée had a Ford fiesta zetec once which had a good zip to it)

3. Needs to be a 1.4L or under.

Many thanks.

Little help buying a cheap car please - fossyant
Nissan Micra K11 (bubble) - loads of them about, good reliable cars !

Easy to maintain and fix - 1.3 is surprisingly quick - even try for the limited 1.3 Super S (approx M plates)
Little help buying a cheap car please - local yokel
One of the last 205s - I'm 6'1" and found it had the best seats of any car I'd driven in ages.

Plenty available still, no rust issues, and loads of spares.
Little help buying a cheap car please - Pugugly {P}
306 - should get a cheapie for a grand. Superb suspension totally comfortable seats.
Little help buying a cheap car please - mrmender
I'd go along with Nissan Micra also Fiat punto should get a good un for a bag o' sand plenty of zip
Little help buying a cheap car please - Hugo {P}
N15 Nissan Almera

Last word in style but cheap as a result, and it's reliable.

Oh, and probably more car for your money than the micra
Little help buying a cheap car please - Editor
Had both micra & 205. Both good, but 205 a little bigger & better, & more refined, IMHO.

Also had an F plate 1.4S fiesta (carbed) which was excellent up to 140k, after which things like the steering rack & corrosion like a Fiat set in. Mind you-dead easy to work on.

Was it 1995 (M) that power sapping expensive catalytic converters came in? Up to when did the MOT allow one to decat a car if fitted as original equipment? Try not to get a model with one if so! Ditto any ABS equipment.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Little help buying a cheap car please - mss1tw
Was it 1995 (M) that power sapping expensive catalytic converters came
in?

1992 legally but a mates H plated Mini had one...
Little help buying a cheap car please - bbroomlea{P}
how about a rover 214 bubble shape...

quick engine for 1.4, reliable if you are picky when buying and you should get a good one on an s plate for that kind of money.
Little help buying a cheap car please - RichardW
"306 - should get a cheapie for a grand. Superb suspension totally comfortable seats."

Alternatively, buy a ZX - same car under the skin, half the price :-)) 1.4s on a the latest R plate, should be pretty cheap by now, £1k would probably get a 1.4 Xsara, similar under the skin, new clothes.

The 1.9 TD is much much faster, and it uses less fuel, without being crippling on the insurance front. I know which I'd go for!

Oh, is that a ZX TD in the drive???? (Mind you I paid £800 for an M Reg TD, albeit in A1 condition).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Little help buying a cheap car please - Shaz {p}
Zx td volcane - bargian . Nippy car, brilliant handling.

Can be made even nippier - by tweaking fueling / boost - gives approx 115 hp. Just try to find one with bosch fuel pump (better then the lucas). Ensure cambelt changed / no gasket trouble.

Not being biased of course:)