Test Drive Help Please - importer
I was wondering if anyone can advise me please. Im taking a car on a 24 hour test drive. The guy is bringing it down 120 or so miles to me tommorrow afternoon and then collecting it the following day. It is the first one i have had and i was wondering a couple of things.

1. Do i have to fill it up with petrol once i have finished with it or do they sort all that out for me?

2. Do they try and sell it hard once they pick it up again?

3. How does the bloke get home after dropping it off?

Thanx in advance for any help
Test Drive Help Please - Altea Ego
Had fords on similar tests.

1/ Whats in it is your to use, - I play fair and leave it with the same amount it arrived with.

2/ No - its a delivery driver. YOu may get a follow up phone call tho

3/ Not your problem.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Test Drive Help Please - blue_haddock
1. It's on the same principal as a hire car - you return it with the same amount of fuel as was in it when you got it.

2. Delivery guy won't but you may get pestered with phone calls and mail afterwards.

3. Either thumb a lift or get a train. They will often ask for a lift to either the motorway or train station. You are under no obligation to do so though.
Test Drive Help Please - Bill Payer
I've had 2 cars like this, a Ford and a Merc.

1) Ford had to have similar(ish) fuel (no idea how/if they'd really charge you if it was differnt though), Merc guy said just leave enough so he could get to filling station.

2) Ford mailed an evaluation form which I completed. Merc sent a follow up email. No calls (surprisingly).

3) Both cars arrived with an additional vehicle & driver. Same on collection for the Ford, the Merc guy arrived in a taxi.
Right very angry now.

Can someone give me some advice. As explained above i had a 24 hour test drive in the 407. Nice car, nice drive but at the end of the day it would not be a car that i would spend over £20,000 on.

The driver came down with the car, he travelled about 100 miles to bring me the car. Then today he came to collect it again.

When the car arrived it had exactly 3 quarters of a tank of diesel in it. I only did 36 miles in the car as i was at work etc and therefore i put a tenner in it as everybody advised to leave it how it had arrived. Thats no problem.

The guy came down today, picked it up and off he went. The i get a phone call this afternoon telling me they had filled the car up as it had half a tank when they got back to the office and it had cost £39 and they would bill my credit card for it straight away.

I said hold on a minute, i gave you my credit card details for the £500 excess reason with regard to the insurance. Thats what the driver told me the details were for. The guy on the phone told me that he shouldnt have told me that and the whole reason they had taken my details was to pay for fuel on return. The driver unfortuantly hadnt told me this as he was only a driver.

I said i refuse to pay, they had never told me that this was the deal on the phone. He said do you expect us to drive 120 miles for free? He then said they will be billing my credit card and that was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned. I said i have not signed for you to do that, he said that unfortuantly they must have told me on the phone and they will bill me.

Do i just have to pay??
Test Drive Help Please - mikeyb
Call CC company and dispute the charge. Did you sign anything that states fuel charges?
Test Drive Help Please - Peter S
I'd have thought it was pretty clearcut if you didn't sign anything or authorise the charge upfront, so if its not resolved with the garage just dispute with the card company. Be interested to know how big the tank on a 407 is, if half a tank is £39 though...
Anyone?
Test Drive Help Please - Aprilia
Dispute it with CC company. Its up to car co. to prove that you authorised it, I guess.

I bet if you had said you were going to place an order then they wouldn't have charged...
Funny thing is that i disliked the car but my mum liked it. She had applied for a test drive, that will be witdrawn pretty sharpish
Test Drive Help Please - DavidHM
Seems like a great way to avoid selling a car to me...

... aside from which, if you weren't told that there would be a charge for delivery, fuel or anything else and it wasn't agreed, dispute the charge with the credit card company.
As I explained earlier in the thread, there was no fuel issue at all with the Merc I got.
The Ford was on what I think was called Ford-Drive 100 (for 100hrs of test drive). That car was probably driven 80+ miles to me, and same back again, and there was no question of paying for fuel for collection & delivery.

I would take it up with Peugeot Head Office. Who arranged the teat drive, and what were the terms of the offer?
...if I were Peugeot I would be slighty dismayed though, that they went to this trouble and you only drove 36 miles in the car. You could have done that on a test drive from a local dealer.
Test Drive Help Please - Adam {P}
What test drives have you been on Bill?

I would have thought they'd be pretty annoyed had you racked up over 100 miles on it.
Test Drive Help Please - Vansboy
This site might be of interest, lots of test drive opportunities, there.

& you can apply for the day at the testing ground, too!!

www.companycardriver.co.uk/

Might be worth a recipricol (spelling) link to our site, Mods!!??

VB

I would have thought they'd be pretty annoyed had you racked
up over 100 miles on it.

I had a Honda Accord, Mondeo & Merc C Class. All for a few days. I live in Chester and took them all to the south of England and back again, plus a bit of other driving around, so I prob did 600 miles in each.

These are are really for company car users and, apart from the Ford deal, are not easy to access. I eventually decided to 'opt out' anyway and I bought a 6 mth old MB Direct C Class.

The Merc was driven to me from High Wycombe, and it was brand new when it left there. So it had getting on for a 400 mile round trip just being delivered and collected. The Accord also came from somewhere in the south (Honda at Swindon, maybe?) and the Mondeo was driven to me from Heywood, Lancs, which is prob 80? miles each way.
Test Drive Help Please - commerdriver

>>
I would have thought they'd be pretty annoyed had you racked
up over 100 miles on it.

>>

I don't know what the protocol is for individuals but as a company car driver my leasing company arranged 6 road tests for me last year and I did 300 miles plus in each of them, most times the car was delivered by a delivery driver so no hard sell there. A couple of the dealer people sent me questionnaires to fill in and three of them actually said don't worry about fuel. Most were from dealers, the Mercedes was from High Wycombe, the driver said that was where all their fleet demonstraters came from for the south.
Test Drive Help Please - Altea Ego
My experiences are similar as C-D. Went away for the weekend in one test drive car.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Test Drive Help Please - frazerjp
>> What test drives have you been on Bill?
>>
>> I would have thought they'd be pretty annoyed had you
racked
>> up over 100 miles on it.
>>
>>
I don't know what the protocol is for individuals but as
a company car driver my leasing company arranged 6 road tests
for me last year and I did 300 miles plus in
each of them, most times the car was delivered by a
delivery driver so no hard sell there. A couple of the
dealer people sent me questionnaires to fill in and three of
them actually said don't worry about fuel. Most were from dealers,
the Mercedes was from High Wycombe, the driver said that was
where all their fleet demonstraters came from for the south.

Will this be a franchise dealer or an independent? There're no MB dealers in High Wycombe, nearest are Beaconsfield or Aylesbury both Hughes.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Test Drive Help Please - Bromptonaut
AFAIK MB fleet section is in Milton Keynes. Never aspired to one myself but see them around a lot. Most of demo/fleet vehicles carry Kn registrations.

Possibly they have a depot in High Wycombe?
AFAIK MB fleet section is in Milton Keynes. Never aspired to
one myself but see them around a lot. Most of demo/fleet
vehicles carry Kn registrations.
Possibly they have a depot in High Wycombe?

>>
I've no idea what the facility is (I'm 200 miles away) but I imagine it is just a depot.
Test Drive Help Please - Pezzer
Whats the point of a Test Drive then - so you can admire it in the Car Park or on your drive ? That is what these cars are for. I think I work for the same mob as TVM and commerdriver so my experience will be much the same.

You have done the right thing in replacing the petrol you have used. The fact that they have driven it from a central facility rather than a local dealer is their problem not yours especially if this was not made clear to you.

P

All the test drives I've been on, (bearing in mind I probably don't look anywhere near as respectful as Bill, commerdriver and Pezzer - probably moreso than RF though), have been pretty short and all of them have been ended by the dealer.

Don't think any of them have been anywhere near 10 miles.
All the test drives I've been on, (bearing in mind I
probably don't look anywhere near as respectful as Bill, commerdriver and
Pezzer - probably moreso than RF though), have been pretty short
and all of them have been ended by the dealer.

It's a different kettle of fish for corporate drivers (I don't know why it should be, though). Often the dealers don't even know these loaner schemes exist - neither the first Honda dealer or my local Merc dealer did apparently, but most dealers are not interested once you say you're a company car driver. However turns out that Honda, for example, have some dealers that are nominated 'business centres' and they know what they're doing.
It doesn't always work - I wanted to try an Avensis but the local dealer, Toyota's regional sales manager and Toyota head office where all hopeless. Not what I expected at all.
..the other thing I would say to Adam is that, if your typical journey is 10 miles, then a 10 mile test drive is fine.
I spend a huge chunk of my life in my car, and a typical journey is a 350-400 mile round trip.
It's a different kettle of fish for corporate drivers (I don't >> know why it should be, though).

>>

Because in the case of our company (me RF Pezzer etc), they have the ordering clout for a fleet of several thousand cars and a leasing company ordering several times that. If the manufacturers want some of that sort of business they will do some extra things over what they might do for an individual.
Oh well. Until I join a multinational organisation, I'll just make do with my sub 10 mile test drives!
Oh well. Until I join a multinational organisation, I'll just make
do with my sub 10 mile test drives!

Would you really like the chance to work with RF & ther rest of us?
More than anything in the world.
Test Drive Help Please - Stuartli
A well known Winsford car supermarket has some great bargains but, at least on the last occasion I was there when my son bought a used car, considers a "test drive" to be a short trip of about a mile-and-a-half around the block with the salesman sitting alongside...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Test Drive Help Please - NowWheels

I got to do about 20 miles when I tested the Almera which I eventually bought, 'cos I insisted that I wanted to try it on stretch of 70mph road. The dealer (Sunwin, Nottingham) was very helpful about it all.
Why did you go so far to buy it though NW if you don't mind me asking?
Test Drive Help Please - NowWheels
Why did you go so far to buy it though NW
if you don't mind me asking?

'cos they weren't looking silly money for it, and it was closer than Trade Sales in Slough. Also, I have a local Sunwin Nissan to sort out any warranty issues.
Test Drive Help Please - deepwith
I tested a Ford last November directed by salesman - it involved NO right turns, no dual carriageways, even though there was one nearby, and took less than 10 minutes. Kia were horrified when we asked to take the car as far as dual carriageway, which would have been about 12 miles round trip. Nissan and Honda both took us on a variety of road types, including the M27. Nissan offered us the car for four hours when they thought we were undecided. Toyota never got as far as a test drive as they "forgot" to locate a manual at one dealer and the other Toyota dealers were not in any way interested in selling us a car. Often felt like going in to show them the two cars I bought just up the road from them.
Test Drive Help Please - pd
A lot is down to the individual dealer rather than the manufacturer. I've struggled to persuade some dealers for any sort of test drive on one hand and on the other been tossed a key to a 2 week old Porsche and been told to "keep it a couple of days and make sure you bring it back empty" so you never can tell.
Test Drive Help Please - Statistical outlier
Avondale Honda in Brum suggested unprompted that I should have the car for a day to get a feel for it. When I was picking up, they asked where I was planning going, then went and filled it up to make sure I had enough diesel for the day!! At no charge.

I was gutted when I couldn't source the car I wanted from them in the end, they told me to take another deal I'd been offered as it was much better than they could match.

Gord.
Test Drive Help Please - Martin Wall
I would contact both your credit card company and also Peugeot Customer Services - phone them and follow up in writing. To be honest if that's what the dealer is like *before* you buy a car, imagine just how well they would treat you after you buy a car and they have your money....