Big saloons - Adam {P}
Don't worry - not changing my car but I was just wondering. Lets say you had...5 grand. What car would you buy?

Must be:

Saloon or big hatchback (i.e. Mondeo/Vectra sized)

V6

For what it's worth, I don't have 5 grand in case that's what you're thinking. Just generally curious.
Big saloons - J Bonington Jagworth
Ex-demo Kia Magentis. I think.
Big saloons - PhilDews
ex-police T5 y-reg for £4,495 - see www.expolicecarcentre.com/

I do like the sound of the 2003 53 E320 estate for £14K... Perhaps in 3years when the silver ones start to come through!
Big saloons - Big Bad Dave

did you really have to ask?
Big saloons - Aprilia
Camry 3.0i V6

Maxima/QX 2.0i or 3.0i V6

Mitsubishi Galant V6

Get a good one and you've got the bargain of the decade.
Big saloons - cheddar
XJ40
Big saloons - Sprice
Lexus GS300
Big saloons - mrmender
5x £1000 3litre carlton GSI's
Big saloons - mare
Audi A6 4.2 Quattro.

My former boss had one, and my business partner has an estate on a T reg, the value must be about £5,000. When we make some serious profit and he upgrades his car, i'm seriously considering buying it. Leather, cool alloys and 4.2 V8, just what you need for the weekend.
Big saloons - defender
would have to be a v90 executive
Big saloons - blue_haddock
Things that spring to mind that i think Adam would like are.

Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
BMW 540i
Jaguar XJR
Mitsubishi Galant VR4
VW Passat V6 4Motion
Volvo V70 T5R
Big saloons - kithmo
You could have my 2001 Mk3 Mondeo V6 Ghia X with 58K on the clock for £4500
Big saloons - Altea Ego
6 scorpios
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Big saloons - Imagos
6 scorpios>>>

15 Renault Safranes..
Big saloons - Altea Ego
I'll see your 15 safranes and raise you 20 themas.....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Big saloons - Imagos
Having said that this particular example

cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-SAFRANE-EXECUTIVE-98-R-2-5-...m

is way above Adam's 5000 sov's but would it be a good buy?

Big saloons have always appealed to me 'cos they're cheap!
Big saloons - Cyd
Depends what you're after. If it's super long legged cruising in superior comfort over long distances, then a 3.2 Honda Legend.

If you want your smile to cut off the top of your head, I'd go with Blue Haddock and have a V70 T5R or a 3.2 Omega.

Me? Omega - rear wheel drive. Nuff said.
Big saloons - barchettaman
Alfa 166, 3.0 V6, and a Book of Common Prayer.
Big saloons - Lud
Yes barchettaman, knew someone wd make the obvious suggestion of the man with more soul than sense, and shares in a tyre company... worthwhile costs however surely?
Big saloons - Lud
If you looked in the right place might find a Cadillac Seville or similar, even a not-too-degraded 60s Olds or something... these are nothing if not big saloons and everlasting once sorted.
Big saloons - tyro
Well, if I had £5000, I wouldn't buy a big saloon / hatch. (An estate, on the other hand, would be fine.)

But, to answer Adam's question, I guess it would be (in reverse order)

3) Honda Accord (old shape - new shape not yet available at the money)

2) Mazda6

1) Mondeo TDCi
Big saloons - blue_haddock
3) Honda Accord (old shape - new shape not yet available
at the money)
2) Mazda6
1) Mondeo TDCi

Only problem with these vehicles are the fact they do not meet his criteria of being a V6.
Big saloons - local yokel
I'd shake the tin round my mates on the promise of a good night out, make it up to £6k, and buy a Bentley - OK, I'd need an oil refinery and a rich sponsor, but you'd you get plenty of smiles to the gallon!

tinyurl.com/henzo (Autotrader link)
Big saloons - tyro
Whoops. Must read more carefully.

:: slaps wrist ::
Big saloons - mare
cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A8-S8-4-2-QUATTRO-TIPTRONIC-SA...m

Current bid less than the vendor paid for a new gearbox. Ouch!
Big saloons - Adam {P}
Wow - thanks for all the reponses!

I'm not changing my car for a while yet. I'm still going to be jobless when I leave Uni in a few months time but I've decided that rather than take out a huge loan and buy a nearly new car, I'm going to spend my own cash (5 grand seems as good a figure as any) and buy a big car.

Surprisingly, just messing around, I put some quotes in. I can insure myself on a 3.2 Omega for 1600 quid but can't get a quote on a 2.5 Mondeo for some reason! (Either car I wouldn't mind if I had the money)

Also, blue - you know me too well mate. Every single car on your list (bar the Jag - not a fan of them) I have seriously thought about owning and in the case of the Audi - would love to own! I've been noticing Galants a lot more recently too - I've always loved the look of them.

I'm noticing that it's much easier to get a quote on an automatic than it is a manual. Probably driving style. I'd rather have a manual unless the autobox was superb - I gather the Omega would be good to have as an automatic.

I'm even embarrassed to say I did actually look at 4.6 Cadillac Seville's a while ago (even though I don't have a penny to my name, I like pretending that I do and seeing what car I'd get) but there's something about them - it'd make the flak I get now seem like childsplay.

If at Christmas I came here and had pretty much any of your suggestions, I'd be made up really. My next car will absolutely positively be a V6. Even if I have to beg, borrow or steal to insure it. Of course, if Ford did a V6 version of mine, that's what I'd have in a shot. It's the only thing stopping me from getting the exact same car again.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - certainly very interesting!

Big saloons - Altea Ego
1998 FORD Falcon 4.0 pickup 2wd, R reg. 77000 miles, aircon, cruise control, alloys, airbags, etc, R.H.D, stunning condition, quick and cool. . . . . . (trade)
£3,495

( hint - auto trader)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Big saloons - Adam {P}
Oooooh.

I knew you wouldn't let me down RF.

How about the Crown Victorias? They do one in the same colour I have now!