Wanted: DIY mechanics book - martin
Can anyone reccomend a quality, accessable DIY car book. Something that will explain how a car works, but will also help diagnose faults?
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - Mark (Brazil)
Try the website www.howstuffworks.com.

It won`t help with the fault diagnosis, but it may well go some way to helping understand the car and parts.
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - Brian
It would be nice if all owner's manuals had photos or a diagram of the engine bay.
When you open the bonnet nowdays you are faced with a mass of boxes and pipes which all look the same!
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - Ian Cook
Martin

I wish life were that simple. You shell out your hard earned foldies on a Haynes manual - and then find that it doesn't tell you where the relays are located (and there could be a dozen of them), much less which one is which. It's relatively easy to locate a relay when it's working, but not when it's busted!

Diagnosing electrical faults is going to be a major element of keeping any car going, and without access to core information like this you will be sunk. Or you might get lucky!

Ian
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - David W
Perhaps we should ask ladas to write one, after he's completed "How I made my first million".

David
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - ian (cape town)
Now stop picking on ladas, David... You should mock the inflicted.

Martin, have you tried the local public library, to see what they have (or can order).
That way you can read three or four books, and them make a choice of which one to buy.
Alternately, I recall AA used to do some decent DIY books.

HTH.
ian
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - martin
Library is a good idea, i have already been down and taken out a Readers Digest book on general car maintance. The AA did used to print some DIY books but have since stopped.

Does Kwik-fit expect me to pay them £18 to change a light bulb, i wonder?
Re: Wanted: DIY mechanics book - Big Vern
I was flicking through the Haynes manual for a 80's polo / derby, they go into sooo much more detail than the modern Haynes manuals, very easy to read etc, get hold of one of these to learn the basics, CV joints, clutch plates etc dont chnage much!