Merc CLK advice - Blue {P}
Just after a bit of advice about the latest Merc CLK guys.

My dad's toying with the idea of buying a diesel varient, now it seems that the 270 CDi has been discontinued and that just leaves the 220 and the 320.

The 320 looks spectacular, but to be honest at present it's a little over what he was looking to spend which is about £30K or less.

So that leaves the 270 diesel that would realistically be in budget, but I don't know much about this engine. How does it compare with the 220 version? Is it a powerful enough engine for the size and weight of a car like the CLK?

Oh, and what's the reliability like on this model? I know Merc have had some quality problems lately but I don't know whether any of them affect this model.

Sorry for the generally rambling nature of my questions, it's just a car that I know virtually nothing about.

Ta in advance for your opinions!

Blue
Merc CLK advice - Peter S
The 270CDI has been replaced in the E class by a 280CDI; perhaps this will make its way to the CLK as well...

However, based on the E, the 270 is a nicer engine; it has 5 cylinders compared to the 4 of the 220 so sounds better, and has more pull. I thought the E220 felt slightly underpowered, though it was fine for cruising. I assume the clk is lighter (though maybe not if we're talking convertible...) so this might not be such an issue

That's about all I can add I'm afraid...

Peter
Merc CLK advice - Roger Jones
Based on the C-class chassis, the CLK is hardly a large car and I would have thought the 2.7 diesel engine would offer plenty of grunt. The E-class is distinctly larger/heavier and from the reports I've seen there are plenty of owners satisfied with the 2.7 engine.

From the Car-by-Car Breakdown: "New 224bhp CLK 320 CDI V6 direct-injection diesel engine available in both Coupé and Cabriolet from Spring 2005. Also a 150bhp in the CLK 220CDI Coupé."

As ever, as the owner of two older MBs, I am sad to have to say that quality problems are popping up all over the MB range of newer cars. The well known bodywork corrosion that afflicted the W210 E-class is emerging in several other models (including megabucks S-class and SLs) and there are various other niggles that don't seem to be confined to any one model or any one manufacturing plant.
Merc CLK advice - Lud
Where is the steel coming from these days?

A Bentley expert once told me that fifties standard steel Bentleys rusted much faster than pre-war ones because the steel was inferior, containing impurities that encouraged corrosion.

Might Lakshmi Mittal be to blame?
Merc CLK advice - Roger Jones
From here:

tinyurl.com/jfpqb

there are those who reckon that this is the root of the problem (from a paper presented in May 1998):

"INTRODUCTION OF ORGANICALLY PRECOATED SHEETS AS PART OF THE NEW CORROSION PREVENTION CONCEPT OF MERCEDES-BENZ

. . . has led Daimler-Benz to use to an increasing extent in all future vehicle concepts sheet metal which has already been organically coated at the steel works.
. . .
Advantages that are seen are an ability to dispense with some secondary corrosion prevention measures ? such as welding-seam sealing and cavity preservation ? while achieving a simultaneous improvement in quality."

Pity about the last bit.
Merc CLK advice - rjr
I have had my CLK320CDi for couple of months now. Performance is excellent, as is economy (43mpg on motorways, 36mpg on country roads).

The 220 & 320 were introduced when the CLK was face-lifted last summer - the 270 was discontinued at the same time (i.e the 270 is pre-facelift only).

Performance from the 270 is very good (with the autobox the manual is slower) and is more than adequate for a car of this size and weight.

I am not aware of any particular problems with the CLK. To date my only problem has been a stuck disc in the CD player.
Thanks for the input guys, I think my dad is starting to err away from it on the grounds that it gets replaced next year and he's concerned with the effect that this will have on residuals, also the talk of Merc quality problems is a little worrying, especially the rust!

Blue
Merc CLK advice - rjr
Thanks for the input guys, I think my dad is starting
to err away from it on the grounds that it gets
replaced next year

The CLK had a midlife face-lift last year. I won't be due for replacement until 2008.
Now that might help swing things in the CLK's favour! :-)

Blue
Merc CLK advice - rjr
I won't be due for replacement until 2008.

>>

I meant to say that the CLK is due for replacement in 2008.

I'm already overdue for replacement...