Astra airconditioning problem - Daveyboy
Astra air conditioning been checked today leak found no gas in system new seals and re-gas required 185 pounds no guarantee aircon will work correctly in case of further faults when tested again.

Is there any other checks that can be done before seals and gas renewed?
Since no gas in system can seals be renewed on a DIY basis if so where can I buy seal kits?
What else could be wrong with the aircon system?

Aircon was re-gassed last May at different garage no leaks detected first re-gas since new car now 6 years old in August.

Suspect I have not been using the aircon enough throughout winter months which has cause the seals to dry out but possible been leaking before last re-gas because not been getting cold for a few months.

Any advice welcome.

+
Astra airconditioning problem - markengland
Hi - I remember reading somewhere (possibly in Car by Car breakdown on this site but possibly elsewhere) that the Astra's are prone to air con problems, especially when not used enough out of season.
Astra airconditioning problem - Dave N
Is there any other checks? Not really, it needs to be gas tight and running.

Do you know which seals they are? The only main seal that 'goes' is the compressor front seal. Not a DIY job.

What else can be wrong? How longs a piece of string?

You had a leak last time it was recharged, thats why it was empty. The leak wasn't found, so now it's gone again. Are you/they sure they've found it this time?

Not sure winter use of A/C makes any difference. Something can break and leak at any time.
Astra airconditioning problem - honeybear
I had trouble with the A/C on a 98 Vectra so your system is probably similar, You could go round in circles trying to find the problem spending lots of £. At this age and it in my opinion a low quality system its a waste of money. A/C does need to be run for at least 20 mins a month 12 months a year to keep it all in good order as the gas used contains a lubricant for the seals, and remember as it conditions the air its great for demisting.
Astra airconditioning problem - piston power
personally i wouldn't bother its never that hot to have the thing on!!!!!!!!!!! and if so open the window, put your brass back in your pocket!
Astra airconditioning problem - Thinline
If you go to the Halfords site and put 'Air Con' into the search box. They sell a air con kit that I quote

> Accurately measures and then charges Air Con system.

Its about £24.99. They sell alot of additives as well. Might be worth a try?
Astra airconditioning problem - Dynamic Dave
Its about £24.99. They sell alot of additives as well. Might be worth a try?

I would suggest you read these threads first, then decide whether or not it's still worth a try.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29208

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22...1

Personal opinion - NO, it isn't.
Astra airconditioning problem - Daveyboy
Would it be possible to leave the air con not repaired until summer or would this make the situation worse,on the basis that if repaired in summer it would really test the system.

I suffer from tinnitus and on long journeys having the windows down in summer can make it worse but most of my journeys are mostly 2 to 6 miles.

If I bought a newer car will the airconditioning be a better system
Astra airconditioning problem - Dave N
You can leave it till the summer, just bear in mind everyone else either leaves theirs till summer, or only realises it isn't working when summer (eventually) arrives.

If you get it fixed now, it will give you the chance to find anymore leaks before summer.

There's nothing wrong with your system (apart from the leak), so buying another car won't help. All systems have weak points, and the Astra is no different. If anything, newer cars have poorer, in terms of quality, systems, as everything is getting made cheaper and cheaper.