Advice wanted on buying BMW 325 Diesel - jimech
Hi

I thinking of buying a BMW 325 diesel and was looking for some pointers on what to look out for. I like the look of the model a few generations ago, say J to R reg, and my budget is more intune with these. I think it is the E36.

For starters I am not entirely sure of the different models, I believe that the tds is intercooled, whereas the td isn't. Also what are the spec's of the SE model.

In looking around I have found sellers quoting different bhp's, and cars that have been chipped. It is a good idea to chip these engines? I've heard they're supposed to be good for trillions of miles, but would chipping have an adverse effect on this?

Also the manual/auto box debate. I quite fancied the auto box, but anyone any idea how this effects driving performane and/or pleasure over the manual. Is sports mode any good?

If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. From common faults found, to personal experiences, I'd really like to know the beamer before I dive in and but one!!

Cheers

Jim
Advice wanted on buying BMW 325 Diesel - Collos25
I believe it is the same engine that is in the Omega so plenty of parts around.
Advice wanted on buying BMW 325 Diesel - Aprilia
Chipping obviously imposes higher loads on the whole powertrain and may well reduce its life. Obviously a driver who 'chips' a car is likely to be the sort of person who wants to drive it harder, so there might be more wear and tear on the suspension etc.

These engines suffered problems with their waterpumps - so check for signs of past overheating.
Advice wanted on buying BMW 325 Diesel - Hamsafar
There were more than one version of the M51 engine, here is how to identify them at first glance...
Gen1 ones had no EGR or airflow sensor (built into aircleaner assembly)
Gen2 had the above
Gen3 had black plastic inlet manifolds as opposed to aluminium.
(I dont think Gen3 ever went in the E46)

These are only easily visible changes, each version had a whole host of improvements.

The engine needs the oil changing frequently - 5000 to 7500 miles, many older ones may have ignored the servive indicator and have scrimped.

The waterpumps are prone to catasrophic failure leading to overheating - check there is no waxy deposits on the inside plastic of the header tanks, as this could indicate combustion gasses entering the cooling system.
The auxiallary belt tensioners on the front of the engine can become nosiey with age, the damper can squeak and the pulley lever can rattle, cane make the engine sound very ill when it is only £20-50 of parts.
The automatic will be nice, as they thrive on torque, and will remove the turbo lag you would see on a manual. It will also be gentler on the rest of the drivetrain and engine IMHO, no overrevving, shift shock etc...

Good luck!