2003 vectra strange rattle - welshy
5 speed manual 1.8 petrol . Very odd rattle from geaarbox when hot (not when cold). If I push the pedal down the noise dissapears , but................also when I slightly push the gear lever forward or back without using the clutch the noise dissapears . This cant be thrust bearing can it ? Would it be the gear shafts inside rattling ?
2003 vectra strange rattle - Number_Cruncher
Check that the EGR valve is closing properly - or indeed any other fault that may give you a rough tickover.

The noise is rattling from backlash within the gearbox - when you push the clutch the gearbox is disengaged. When you push the gear lever towards a gear, the extra friction from the synchroniser stops the vibration.

If you have filled the gearbox with oil that is too thin, this may make the problem worse. You don't hear the noise when cold because the oil is thick, and damps the vibration.

If any dullard comes along suggesting that it is only the release bearing, you can safely ignore them. ;-)

Number_Cruncher
would you suggest a thicker oil in the gearbox ? if so what please ? apparently the oil thats in the gearbox is very thin water like subtance , similar to automatic transmission fluid.

So rule out the release bearing then ?

>>So rule out the release bearing then ?

With pleasure! - When you move the gear lever towards a gear, the noise goes away. During this process, absolutely nothing is going on at the release bearing.

The reason I mentioned release bearing is that some non-technical types associate any transmission noise with the release bearing without applying any further thought or logic.

As to the oil, I'd begin by making sure that the oil is as per the manufacturer's spec. Off the top of my head, I don't know what is the correct spec.

Am I right in thinking that your gearbox has an amount of 'history'?

Number_Cruncher
gearbox was reconditioned last year , it has allways since the rebuild had this rattle when the engine and gearbox have been busy driving around town . warranty is now UP on it , but previously the garage that did the job said " dont worry it will quieten down in time plus its just gear chatter and all cars do that". Well im sure not this bad ! When I say bad its not in your face loud , but at the same time its there so bugging me .

what about a gear oil additive ? to keep the oil think as you mentioned ?
I would definitely make sure the engine is running smoothly before doing any major work on the gearbox. If there's a slight misfire, or EGR valve sticking slightly open, this makes the crankshaft speed fluctuate rapidly (much too quickly to be seen by the rev counter on the dash), which can excite gearbox rattles. Sometimes, if this is the case, the rattle will stop as soon as you raise the car above tickover, and smooth the running.

I harp on about the EGR sticking open because I know this is a recurrent Vauxhall problem.

I wouldn't mess about with additives, but would make sure the gearbox oil is to the right spec, particularly with regard to the oil's viscosity is sufficient when hot.

Number_Cruncher
when I was saying about the rattle goes away when pushing on the gear leaver , if the engines revs increase yes the revs dissapears . Driving through gears works A1 no rattles at all , like I say its only on idle. My Vectra has allways ticked over on the rev counter about 600 rpm. Its allways done this from new , and no rattles until about 95,000 miles or there about which is when the diff. was whining and so a recon. gearbox was sought .

Thanks for the sharp replies , its nice to see someone on a forum that actually knows what they are talking about unlike some other forums ! Thanks deeply !
>>when I was saying about the rattle goes away when pushing on the gear leaver

Yes, that's the synchromesh, acting like a brake between the two rattling shafts inside the gearbox.

>>if the engines revs increase yes the revs dissapears

If you mean that if the revs increase, the noise goes away, then it may be worth checking that the engine is ticking over smoothly. Although your car has always ticked over at an indicated 600rpm, the engine management computer controls this speed, so if your engine does develop a slight fault, the ECU will compensate, command a small valve to open up a little more, and you won't see the revs change at all. So, the engine can be ticking over at the right speed, but still be ticking over roughly if you see what I mean.

Number_Cruncher

I wonder if Vauxhall can increase the tickover speed to get rid of the rattle ? Just looking in my handbook it says SAE 80 gear oil ? Do you know if this oil is red and looks like auto trans fluid ? If it doesnt they have put in the wrong oil , as I know it was deff. red and looked very thin . Garage said thats what its like , it thickens up when hot ? Im no mechanic so very vunerable as to what I get told .
2003 vectra strange rattle - Dynamic Dave
Welshy,

Have you ever had the radiator rubber mounts replaced? It's a common fault which Vauxhall are aware of, and they tend to replace them whilst the car is in for servicing. Not serious enough for a recall, but Vauxhall should change them when they next see the car.

The associated noise from the loose radiator can lead you up all kinds of garden paths. Before I had mine done, I thought an exhaust fixing was loose, which went away as soon as I increased the revs slighty above tickover.
no these have been done , its deff. from gearbox. Thanks Dave .
2003 vectra strange rattle - Dynamic Dave
No probs Welshy. It was just a thought. Can't compare my gearbox with yours either, as mines an auto.
I'm not sure about the colour (the oil could easily be a brand I've never used), but, thin isn't a word that leaps to mind to describe an 80 oil.

It may be worth considering a drain and refill with the correct oil.

Number_Cruncher
Dextron 2 for some reason comes into my mind , whats that like ?
Dextron 2 for some reason comes into my mind , whats
that like ?

Well, it is commonly red, and quite thin. It can be used in some automatic transmissions and power steering systems, but I wouldn't put it into a manual transmission unless it was so specified by the manufacturer.

Number_Cruncher
Thanks , according to Vauxhall handbook it should be SAE80. But I know for sure it was thin red stuff that was put it my gearbox ,is that SAE80 ? Sounds like I have the wrong oil in doesnt it .Does the symptons sound like wrong oil , ie. when heats up it looses its power to do the job hence my rattle ?
2003 vectra strange rattle - Aprilia
These GM manual boxes take a Dexron II/III fluid (ATF) - GM dealers sell it as P/No 09120541. It is red. It sounds like you have the correct stuff in there. Changing to a fully-synth ATF might help a bit.

It sounds to me like your idle speed is too low - gear chatter is much worse with a low idle speed. Talk to your dealer and see if the base idle speed can be adjusted to get it up to about 800rpm - this should help a bit.
2003 vectra strange rattle - wemyss
Yes as Aprilia states, my Vectra is red oil in the gearbox and so was a Nova we had some years ago.
if the idle is about 800rpm , I can do this by the accelerator the noise dissapears. But apparently its controlled by the ECU ?
Just double checked my idle speed , on the rev counter it obviously goes 0 then 500 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000 etc..................you get what im saying. Anyway, the tickover is just above the 500 mark , its allways done that from new .Engine doesnt stall or wobble just sits there happily all but the gearbox rattle .
Well, I've learnt something new today!

Going back 15 - 20 years ago, I worked in a Vauxhall dealer's workshop, where during service and overhaul of Vauxhall gearboxes, both FWD and RWD, we always used 80's gear oil. Clearly we were all getting it wrong!, and we should have been putting Dexron ATF in there!

Thanks Aprilia for that info, without it, I would have advised welshy to get the ATF changed out for 80 grade gear oil.

Number_Cruncher

Welshy - I think your idle is too low. The ECU controls the idle speed, but it may be possible to adjust the 'base idle' to about 750rpm - which would help a lot.
I wonder if this is possible ? Anyone here know at all please .
If it is, then there will be a 'throttle stop' screw in the throttle body. This is normally factory set and blanked off with a plastic cap. You have to pry out the plastic cap and then twiddle the screw. There is usually a procedure for doing this - but I'm not familiar enough with this engine to give details.
I agree that increasing the idle speed will probably make this rattle go away.

The idle speed on these engines is set using Tech2, i.e., electronically - don't, under any circumstances, fiddle with the throttle stops on these engines.

Number_Cruncher
So Vauxhall garage will deff. be able to up my idle to about 800rpm then ? Thanks all , especially Number Cruncher , what a guy thankyou so much for your time .Like I say on the rev. counter dash its just above 500rpm , I would think its on 650rpm according to the counter .
Yes, your Vauxhall dealer *should* be able to up the idle speed using Tech2. You may need to get past the counter staff and talk to *the* mechanic there who understands these systems. (It's unlikely there'll be more than one who knows his onions!)Adjusting the idle speed isn't normally done unless there's a problem - it is in an out of the way menu within Tech2.

While Tech2 is plugged in, ask if your engine management is the latest version - if not updates are usually worthwhile installing.

Also, ask them to double check that the EGR valve is closing fully, they will be able to read its feedback signal in the Tech2 data list.

As you may have read, I only trust the clock - all other dashboard "instruments" only give a rough indication. The engine speed can be read off from within Tech2 - that's the value I would trust. I think that you can up the idle speed as far as 910 rpm if you wanted to.

Number_Cruncher
If 910rpm was available I know the rattle would certainly dissapear .Thanks again for your time and trouble .Why would I need an update on engine managment you asked.
The reason I suggest asking about software upgrades is that for some engines, the engine management software has been updated since 2003, making the drive by wire system more responsive and changing the operating cycle of the EGR valve among (many!) other improvements.

I hope that you can get your problem sorted!

Number_Cruncher
One other item you may be able to advise please , you say you where working at Vauxhalls . In your opinion with a lot of around town driving and now 126,000 miles on my Vectra would you say that the front shocks and front and rear anti roll bar bushes would now be past good ? Just out of interest do you have messenger , like to chat ?
My Vauxhall experience is well out date now, I get updates on certain bits and bobs when I meet up with ex-colleagues, but I don't have anything like the full picture.

I don't know how your suspension parts will be wearing - they're fairly easy to check though.

Sorry, I don't have messenger, please ask a mod for my email address though.

Number_Cruncher
ATTENTION MODERATORS CAN YOU PLEASE FORWARD "NUMBER_CRUNCHER" EMAIL .
2003 vectra strange rattle - Adam {P}
I have your email address N_C. If you like, Welshy can email me for it if a mod doesn't turn up for a while?
Jolly fellow Adam - thank you.
2003 vectra strange rattle - Carrow
It should be due for it's first MOT soon, shouldn't it? These are testable items, so should be checked for you. Front anti-roll bar links can wear out quite quickly,(as on lots of modern FWD vehicles.)
email got it now . Thanks Adam !
2003 vectra strange rattle - Adam {P}
No problem gents.
UPDATE.....just to let you know ,car went in Vauxhall this morning it had an ECU update . Now the car idles at about 825 according to the printout , also updated the ECU what ever thats all about it used to have a terrible flay spot when pulling away in 1st gear , now its completely dissapered and does the opposite..........it now pulls like a damned train in 1st from standstill . Thanks for the replies .