Ford Ka, Replacing a door lock, How? - Lee182
Hi guys, following on from this thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=38...9 and having taken it to a local parts/garage place it emerges that the lock has 'gone' like you guys thought.

Now my girlfriend has bought a new one, had it made up so she can use her existing keys for the all doors/boot and ignition.

Now she wants me to fit it! anyone know how to do this?? easy or not? she has a Haynes manual somewhere, does it tell you in there?

Thanks again.

Lee182.
Ford Ka, Replacing a door lock, How? - mfarrow
Now she wants me to fit it! anyone know how to
do this?? easy or not? she has a Haynes manual somewhere,
does it tell you in there?

Not personally.

I should think so for a Ka.

I wouldn't buy another Haynes manual ever again if it didn't!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Right, thanks hopefully it's in the manual then but if anyone has some experiance regards doing this i would appreciate it very much - i really don't want to bodge it up!

Cheers.
Ford Ka, Replacing a door lock, How? - bell boy
Take your time taking the door card off i seem to remember they have some plastic rivets on the bottom?
when card off you will see the anti theft covering on the doorlock this also acts as the window channel,remove the 2 crosshead screws and very carefully with a craft knife cut of the silicon sealant(be very careful here the last man i helped with this advice still managed to slash his digit) when sealant cut pull out the cover and you will see the door lock with a locking ring round it (unclip the locking rod from the door mechanism carefully, look for the hole in the centre of the two rings holding the lock in and this wants carefully tapping round 2 centimetres anti clockwise the lock will then pull out.
with lock half hanging out you now remove the locking ring carefully as they can fall apart if butchered and now take lock out note which way the rod fits in the lock and swap to new one,fit the sealing gasket to new lock as well (very important or lock wont work in door) put lock halfway back in door and refit locking ring to lock push lock fully into door skin (it will only fit one way) and then replace the ring up to the skin and carefully tap the inner locker back 2 centimetres clockwise ,replace rod in to the door mechanism with clip well clipped
When you come to replace the theft/window guide you will struggle as the silicon left behind gets in the way so remove as much as you can or the window glass ends up scratched every time you open the window.
put screws back in and then the door card and job done.

dont forget to check the lock works properly at every stage and hope the ford man built you a drivers lock and not a passenger one.

Finally for the record can you tell me how much you were charged all in please?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Thanks very much oldman, superbly put across, even a dummy like me can't go wrong with that advice!

I'll print that out now.

Thanks again.
>> Finally for the record can you tell me how much you
were charged all in please?

Sorry missed that bit in my excitement!

I think it was around the £25 mark inc vat all in, thought that was pretty good, was told it would be over £30 from Ford.