Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Omegaman
I've had my current car for nearly 8 years - 2.5V6 manual Omega. Naturally I'm very familiar with the car and love it to bits (unbeatably when everything's working). Unfortunately I've been doing lots of short journeys in it in recent months (due to illness) and the car has developed a raspyness to the exhaust note (strange?). I've checked the exhaust and the EGR pipes - no splits/holes/damaged baffles etc. Car is not down on power or using excess fuel. Any idea what's wrong with it?
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Sprice
It sounds like loose baffles. How do you know they are undamaged, as you would need to cut the exhaust open to confirm this?!

If its not down on power etc, I'd just put up with it (my car does the same).
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Hamsafar
I agree, probably just internal exhaust erosion and loose baffles vibrating. Is it the original exhaust? If so, a replacement will probably be of inferior quality to the original anyway which is a shame.
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Carrow
The short journeys will do the exhausts no favours at all. Take it to a trustworthy garage for an honest opinion, probably best to avoid fast fit type places {name generalised - DD}, etc, the pound signs light up in their eyes when an Omega V6 comes in, as all 3 bits usually need replacing in one go.
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Robbie
I had this problem with mine just before I changed it.

There is a pipe that fractures - comes off the manifold some where - that causes this. I, too, thought it was an exhaust problem. The mechanic at my Vauxhall dealer knew right away what the problem was.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
Could be the EGR pipe, it's a small pipe with a concertina built in to it. A Vauxhall garage will stock it.
I've checked this pipe - it seems intact (same one as Robbie mentions in previous post?).
I've been under the car and generally banged about on all of the exhaust boxes (3 of)and nothing seems loose or coming apart - still a mystery thus far.
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Robbie
When mine had this problem there was no sign of a crack in the pipe. The mechanic showed me the pipe and I couldn't see anything wrong. After the car had been serviced, and the pipe replaced, it was like a new car. Very quiet when it was running and I was beginning to regret changing it. However, I had had it from new and it was then nine years old. Most reliable car I have ever owned.
Just managed to give the car its first proper run (400 mile motorway round trip to London) for 5 months - problem has gone away!!! - can this merely have been water/carbon/corrosion internally that has been burnt away on the long journey?
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - tyrexpert
Should I report this as offensive DD. Not all fast fits are the same. We independents are not repeat not the same as the national chains. If we do not get it right we don`t eat. I shall now be hungry all weekend...
Omega 2.5V6 raspy exhaust - Dynamic Dave
Not all fast fits are the same.

tyrexpert, I never said they were.

I generalised the post, rather than leaving it to target one particular company, so as to satisfy our no name / shame policy.

DD.
Apologies if offence was caused. In my original post I mentioned a well known national chain, in my job I supply the parts for a local independant fast-fit, the staff there are excellent and very honest. Not to mention extremely busy, with repeat customers. Again, apologies.