C-Max impressions - cheddar
As mentioned in another thread I have been driving a C-Max 1.6 TDCi Zetec for a few days.

Generally very easy to drive and impressively flexible for a 1.6 ltr diesel even five up though has a lot less ultimate urge than the 2.0. The electrically assisted steering is interesting, the Sport setting makes it feel responsive on the back roads though nervous in a straight line above 50 mph, the Standard setting is ideal though the Comfort setting would certainly help the elderly or slight with parking. The ride is impressive though the turn in is less crisp than a Focus or Mondeo and it understeers more. The instrument binnacle is a model of clarity though the rest of the dash is not particulary attractive, not helped by strange looking aluminiumm trim on the Zetec spec, also the inside door pulls look as though they would be more at home on a Scania. However it is easy to get into a very comfortable driving position which together with 2200rpm at 70mph makes it a comfortable motorway car. It is also very spacious with more than enough room for 5 adults and has a decent sized boot. I have not worked out yet how to get imperial distance and volumes with metric temperatures on the trip computer so I have degrees F to put up with currently, so far 47 mpg on the trip which is OK for a tight engine, it only had 40 miles on it when I picked it up. Refinment wise it is more thrummy at low speeds than my Mondeo though the noise it makes in satisfyingly deep in tone with no diesely tinkling evident. A bit of wind noise around the drivers door, more than the Mondeo which is not the best in that regard, so if it was my car I would have that attended to.

All in all fairly impressive though, for a car with a similar capacity and price, a Focus estate would probably suit me more.

Regards.
C-Max impressions - Chad.R
A bit of wind noise around the drivers door, more than the Mondeo which is not the best in that regard, so if it was my car I would have that attended to.

How would you "fix" that - surely it's down to the design? Unless, I suppose you took the mirrors off ;-)

C-Max impressions - barchettaman
gaffer tape?
C-Max impressions - Adam {P}
No you fools! Ear plugs.

"Gaffer tape" - jeeeeez.
Well it does not do it on the passenger side.
Sorted out the deg C with gallons and miles. Although this 1.6 is revving similarly to my Mondeo at motorway speeds it feels less relaxed, the Mondeo engine is most unobtrusive however there is a thrum in the C-Max, perhaps it would settle down as it beds in. I take it back about the Sport setting on the elec steering, I have got used to it and it is fine at speed. I could get quite used to a C-Max though I think it would have to be the 2.0 diesel.

C-Max impressions - MV
I also have a 1.6 TDCI C-Max. I have had mine since the end of last April, and have now covered about 20,000 (mostly motorway) miles. I had no idea that you could even alter the setting on the power steering, but have always found it to be satisfactory in the default setting! Mine is a Zetec, and I have to say that when I was in the market for a C-Max, I much preferred the aluminium trim of the Zetec than the wood trim of the Ghia, which I found a little odd in the context of the C-Max's cabin.

I am 6'7", and I find the C-Max to be the best car that I have ever driven from the perspective of comfort. The car drives well on the motorway, though I would agree with Cheddar that it is a bit noisier than the Mondeo, and can suffer from a lot of wind noise on occasions. I have found the overall fuel consumption to be a little disappointing. I got it from Ford Direct with about 7,000 on the clock, and it has averaged about 48 to the gallon (almost all motorway cruising on an almost identical commute) since I got it. I never expected to get near Ford's quoted figures, but did hope to break the 50 MPG barrier, particularly given that it is a relatively small engine. I have found the car to be more than rapid enough for my needs, though I have little experience of larger engined cars. The 2 litre diesel, which I took for a test drive, is much faster, but made a huge difference to the insurance premium in my case. From the FFOC forums, it seems that the 1.6 has proven to be more reliable than the 2 litre in any case.

Reliability has, on the whole, been good. I had one problem with the airbag light remaining on, which was traced (on the third time of asking!) to a faulty 'clockspring' in the steering wheel, and the air conditioning did not work properly when I first bought the car. This was fixed, after a few good humoured exchanges, FOC by the dealer, so I have no complaints there. The servicing etc. all seems to be reasonably priced. There are a few stupid design features - you have to take the headlights out of the car to change a bulb (either front indicator or headlight) and you have to remove the driver's side headlight to check the power steering reservoir. I know things are tight under the bonnet, but the manual suggests you should check the reservoir every week! There must have been a better way of doing this.

On the whole, I would say the plus points are:

- Good driving position.
- Comfortable ride.
- Excellent space inside. Boot and passenger space is good, and you can always put the rear seats back to make more room for passengers.
- Fairly good prices from Ford Direct, with reasonable servicing costs.

The minus points:

- A bit noisy (wind rather than engine noise).
- Fuel consumption not all that great for almost entirely motorway driving.
- Headlight/power steering reservoir design.
- A few trim rattles.
- Windscreen wipers seem to judder whatever you do to clean the screen, and new blades are extremely expensive from the dealer.

Overall, I am more than happy with my purchase, and would probably have another if long term reliability is OK.
If both MV and HJ find the Cmax to be one of the comfiest cars they´ve driven, bearing in mind the foot difference in height between the two of them, Ford must be doing something very right indeed.
Sorry - 10 inches!
not including the hat of course.
I had no idea that you could even alter the setting on the power steering, but have always found it to be satisfactory in the default setting! >>

When at standstill and out of gear with the engine running flick through the computer menu and it should come up the something like "Steering Standard" and a tick, pushing the reset button scrolls through Sport, Standard and Comfort, Sport feels more responsive, is still light to park, feels a little nervous at 40-50 mph on normal roads though is fine on the m/way.

I also like the "illuminate you way to your front door" function I found by accident, if you pull the light stalk as though to select high beam when the engine is off the headlights come on for 2 mins and stay on while you lock the car etc. For all I know my Mondeo might do this as well.
I eventually did nearly 1400 miles in the C-Max 1.6 TDCi from new over just over two weeks, it was supremely comfortable and really quite fun to drive, the family loved the rear space and high seating position. The engine was loosening up nicely though, albeit very quiet for a diesel, it felt slightly harsh (mechanically as opposed to audibly) compared to my Mondeo TDCi. The Mondeo idles more smoothly if no more quietly though also revs much more crisply even if it on rare occasions exhibits a slight diesly tinkle. Although I never noticed the latter from the C-Max it did not feel as crisp, it may of course smooth out with more mileage.

Nor of course did it feel as punchy, I had quite got used to its power charateristics, and it is impressive for a spacious car with only a 1.6 diesel engine, though the Mondeo is so much more torquey.

It is the difference between being able to make swift progess and having performance to spare.

That being said a C-Max could be on the Cheddar new car list, probably the 2.0 diesel in Ghia trim though I will have to drive a C-Max or Focus with the 2.0 Ford/PSA engine to see how it compares in NVH terms with my Mondeo.
C-Max impressions - normd
here's my impression:

brrmmm brrrmmmmm rrrrmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Rather petrol like, letting it hang out in third like that, a TD is more like vrm vrrrm vrrrrm vrrrrmm vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Could also add:

Bong! when it reaches 50 miles to empty
Bong! when it is 3 deg or less outside
Bong! when you open the door with the lights on
Bong! when you open the door with the ignition on

Though you can turn the Bongs off.