Rover 416i cooling/heating problems. - DMH
Has anyone got any advice I have a Rover 416i 1997. When I'm stationary or up to 30mph the temperature gauge and heater works but as soon as I speed up the gauge stops working and the heater gets cooler.Any ideas?
Rover 416i cooling/heating problems. - Dynamic Dave
Sounds to me that the thermostat isn't regulating itself properly and needs changing.
Rover 416i cooling/heating problems. - Civic8
As DD said,common failure on rovers,
--
Steve
Is there any easy way of testing the thermostat without the hassle of taking it off the car?. The temperature gauge is also slow at going up when the engine is cold could it be the sender unit?
The temperature gauge is also slow at going up when the engine is cold ....

99.9% sure it's the thermostat. Only way to test is to take it out. Might as well replace it if you've gone as far as that.
cannot see it being anything else,thermostat is stuck open.
If you have the K series,its a fiddly job and not worth testing (though thats up to you)by the time you take it off,you will be glad to get new one on and finnish the job
--
Steve
Rover 416i cooling/heating problems. - wrangler_rover
I had a similar problem recently on my 1999 214.
The temp gauge needle hardly moved, even after a 12 mile run, it was ticking over at 1100 rpm, low miles per gallon and the heater was hardly getting warm, I had the thermostat changed and it solved that problem only to highlight another problem.
Now that the engine was running at normal temperature, after 4 or 5 miles when the engine was warm, when the clutch was depressed to change down for a junction, the engine raced to 3500 rpm. The plastic throttle body deformed with heat & the butterfly valve stuck open, changed the throttle body & the problem seems to have been solved.
It looks like I'll have to have a go at changing the thermostat. It seems a lot of hard work though as when I drive round town everthing works fine. How much is a thermostat and does it come with the new O rings you need?
Rover 416i cooling/heating problems. - Carrow
About a tenner, should come in kit form, but if it's a K-Series, check if the housing is plastic or metal.
It seems a lot of hard work though as when I drive round town everthing works fine.

In town you're not getting the same amount of airflow through the radiator as you would be when travelling at 60 mph down an A road. If the thermostat is stuck open then the coolant will soon cool down with increased airflow through the rad.
Is it a different thermostat if the housing is plastic or is it the same as for the metal housing one.
when asking for thermostat,state chassis no should be on bonnet slam panel left side of/or in left hand bottom corner of windscreen-passenger side/or log book.I dont think they are different but specify this and they will get it right
--
Steve
Has anyone got any tips on changing the thermostat to make it easier?