Poorly lit cyclists - sir_hiss
My wife very nearly ran one these over this evening very close to where we live. Pulls out of a junction to turn right (after looking both ways several times) and car is halfway across the junction mouth, only to be confronted by irate cyclist in dark clothing, very dim front light who has stopped inches from her drivers wing. She did not see him until the last second(its residential but not lit on that junction) but he would have seen her (and heard the car) from maybe 5 or ten yards at least by the nature of the junction layout. Not saying my wife is 100% blameless in this situation here but like any other road user if you cant see them, how are you supposed know they are there ? By the way, she teaches cycling proficiency at the local primary school where visbility at night is hammered home regulary so was pretty hacked off by the whole inicident.
Poorly lit cyclists - Morris Ox
Cyclists can get a rough ride from motorists, but they don't always help themselves.

A delicious scene on the way home this evening: a cyclists dodging form lane to lane in the commuter rush and, by my counting, going straight through seven successive sets of red lights.

He eventually disappeared from view, while I my my fellow commuters were left to stewa in the queues.

10 minutes later when I'd cleared the worst foul ups I went through another set of lights and noticed a police panda car at the side of the road talking to...our cyclist!

Was that a smile on my face? No. It was a grin from ear to ear.
Poorly lit cyclists - Lud
I actually hit one once, fortunately with no injury to her other than a shin, bumped on the pedals. Invisible cyclists and pedestrians (hit one of them once too) are the worst risk London drivers face in my opinion. While they're being canonized by their grieving relations or enjoying the food in hospital some poor car driver is feeling very guilty and undergoing a storm of administrative carp. Why aren't they pulled for this kamikaze behaviour, and why aren't cyclists pulled in my part of London for hurtling about on the pavement?
Poorly lit cyclists - mss1tw
why aren't cyclists pulled in my part of London for hurtling
about on the pavement?

The next round of 'Safety Cameras' suddenly seems that little bit closer!
Poorly lit cyclists - Bromptonaut
Why aren't they pulled for this kamikaze behaviour, and
why aren't cyclists pulled in my part of London for hurtling
about on the pavement?

City police are regularly pulling red light jumpers. Two of them on Smith and Wesson bikes hard at work in the junction of Grays Inn Road and High Holborn a few days ago. Catching them like flies!
Poorly lit cyclists - nortones2
Can't argue about twits without lights, RLJ'ing or riding on pavements - but all anti-social "driving" seems to be a low priority to the police. Little done unless there's a serious injury, or a body, it seems. Wouldn't it be better to have a zero-tolerance campaign for pavement artists (2 and 4-wheeled), SMIDSYs, and black-out enthusiasts alike?
City police are regularly pulling red light jumpers. Two of them
on Smith and Wesson bikes hard at work in the junction
of Grays Inn Road and High Holborn a few days ago.
Catching them like flies!

Good! Come to think of it I saw what can only be described as a herd of them all over the road near the top of Leather Lane a few months ago, also seemed to be pulling cyclists but had closed off half the road, little blues on their bikes, dead weird, some sort of glimpse of the future to make yr blood run cold (all the old ex-car drivers coughing around on foot and being dissed by the healthy new young kings of the road, what a nightmare).
Poorly lit cyclists - David Horn
I had an argument with a policeman in Headingley a few weeks ago after he stopped me from riding on the pavement. I pointed out that I was doing so because taxis were blocking the cycle lane, and the last time I pulled out to pass a taxi there I was run over by a local and spent a week in hospital.

Yes, the fact I was riding on the pavement was morally dubious, but I did have a bright HID light and pedestrians were practically non-existant. Argument ensued when I suggested that when he moved the taxis on I'd ride on the road and he said it "wasn't his job".

Poorly lit cyclists - Navara Van man
I canot fathom why the law is not changed to make the wearing of helmets mandatory. These people have adeath wish at the best of times.
I canot fathom why the law is not changed to make
the wearing of helmets mandatory. These people have adeath wish at
the best of times.

More lives would be saved if motorists were obliged to wear polystyrene hats!!!
How ?
Poorly lit cyclists - Collos25
The only scientific research done on helmets shows you are more likly to hurt youself with a helmet than without.They are only a by product of the packaging industry and are only of any use below 5kmh you may as well strap the packaging from your new TV on your head for all the good it will do.
Andy - I'm not sure what research you're talking about but that is a load of twaddle. Having destroyed a helmet or two instead of my skull, I speak from experience in saying that it makes a massive difference.

Obviously, if your head is driven over then no, it's not going to help, but in absorbing the shock from an impact with the road, or in my case a tree ;), it's absolutely necessary.

Magazines such as MBR won't print pictures that don't show people wearing helmets, and regularly contain letters of the "if it wasn't for the helmet I wouldn't be here" variety.
Poorly lit cyclists - maz64
The only scientific research done on helmets shows you are more
likly to hurt youself with a helmet than without.

There appears to be evidence both ways-
www.cyclehelmets.org/

Personally I feel a lot safer wearing one.

John (cycle commuter, with lights)
Poorly lit cyclists - Garethj
A fair point about the cyclist seeing the car wanting to emerge from the junction, and a problem I face every day as a cyclist.

However, if you slow down (from an already slow 15mph) to 5mph should the car driver take that as an invitation to pull out? When the cyclist is close to the car it's difficult for the car driver to see around the cyclist so there's more danger (to the car driver). Even on my short 2½ mile ride I pass 15 junctions, that's a lot of hazards!

This sort of discussion always turns into a bun fight which rarely shows the contributors up in a good light, but it would be a lot nicer on the roads if there was more courtesy shown all round. Being held up for 5 seconds isn't the end of the world - to cyclist who jump red lights and car drivers who bully their way past.
Poorly lit cyclists - Collos25
Totally agree I ride with Yorkshire Road Club and am well aware of the problems on both sides ,cyclists are sometimes their own worst enemy wearing dark cloths and insufficient lighting these people start off at a disadvantage.Niether parties own the road and both have equal wrights on it.
Poorly lit cyclists - sierraman
I have a helmet with chainring toothmarks down the back of it,fell off and went under the bike next to me,so that would have been my skull.Of course they do not have the strength of a motorcycle helmet but there has to be a compromise between weight and strength.Riding without lights is beyond my comprehension,a basic set can be had for £6,not only is the unlit rider more likely to be hit they also lay themselves open to claims for damage.
Poorly lit cyclists - barchettaman
Last time I was in London I was pleasantly surprised at how well lit the cyclists were (coming off the river towpath into Wandsworth) and by how many there were on a cold Autumn night (post 7/7 effect maybe driving people off the tubes trains etc.).

In an ideal world all cyclists would have front and rear lights with fresh batteries, wear helmets (compulsory at all times in Oz) and reflective gear, not jump red lights or ride on the pavement.

Similarly, in an ideal world drivers wouldn´t open their car doors in front of cyclists, use bike lanes as a free car park, would replace their headlight bulbs as soon as they blew, not gab away on mobiles behind the wheel etc etc.

It ain´t an ideal world. Deal with it :-)

Regards to all,
Barchettaman
Poorly lit cyclists - Robin Reliant
Cycle helmets are one of the greatest consumer con tricks of all time. The protection they offer is next to zero. They have been compulsory in pro cycle racing for around five years, but if you look back at one event alone - The Tour de France - which has been running since 1903, and ask how many riders have died as a result of head injuries the answer is a big fat zero.

This is in an event where riders regularly crash at between 20 and 45 mph, and the same goes for cycle racing in general, death or disability from head injuries is so low that it does not feature as a statistic. People do write to cycle mags about how the helmet saved their life, but how do they know? the silly little piece of polystyrene is designed to fall to bits as your head slides on the floor, and while it may save a few abrasions I doubt if it would help on a head first landing.

In vehicle / cycle collisions the cyclist is at risk from catastrophic injuries to the rest of the body, it is very rare that head injuries alone make a significant difference to the outcome. All the riders at Abegele were helmeted and it did nothing to save those who died. The most seriously injured survivor had a broken leg, none suffered head injuries which had been lessened by helmet use.
Tom, with all due respect, I´m not sure how helpful (or respectful) bringing up the Welsh cycling tragedy is to this thread. No offence meant - please don´t take any.
Terrible event, barchettaman. No disrespect was intended, but the thread swung toward helmets and the first thing the media were asking on that Sunday was if the riders were wearing helmets. The Rhyl CC were even put in the position of having to defensively give assurances that all those on the ride were helmeted and wearing bright clothing.
Poorly lit cyclists - NMVW
Tom you are talking compleat and utter..........
A few years ago there was a motoroler rider killed during a fast decent
in the Pyrenees, head frist in the barriers. No Helmet.. They are compulsory now.
I have crashed my bike, landed on my head, 15MPH!!
Head OK,helmet cracked.
Tom you are talking compleat and utter..........
A few years ago there was a motoroler rider killed during
a fast decent
in the Pyrenees, head frist in the barriers. No Helmet.. They
are compulsory now.
I have crashed my bike, landed on my head, 15MPH!!
Head OK,helmet cracked.

Not so. The rider was Fabio Casatari and the inquest concluded that his injuries would not have been prevented by wearing a helmet. He made contact with a concrete barrier with his forehead and face. Deaths from head injuries among pro cyclists, who crash regularly, are very few and far between. More lives would probably be saved by making people wear helmets in the kitchen.

Helmets are compulsory, but if you watch riders on a hot day the chinstrap is buckled but hanging loose and not securing the helmet at all.

Poorly lit cyclists - cub leader
The only scientific research done on helmets shows you are more
likly to hurt youself with a helmet than without.They are only
a by product of the packaging industry and are only of
any use below 5kmh you may as well strap the packaging
from your new TV on your head for all the good
it will do.

Im afraid i have to disagree with you on wheter helmets are any use. I came off my bike quite badly when my front wheel snapped in a rut whilst going down a hill, despite landing first on my head i was ok, my cycle helmet was wrecked, if i hadnt been wearing it i would have been in a poor way.

i used to cycle to school regularly and found that a lot of the time despite reflective clothing and lights on my bike motorists would still just turn across the front of a cyclist purely as they didnt want the hassle of overtaking or to be held up by the cyclist.
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
Im afraid i have to disagree with you on wheter helmets
are any use. I came off my bike quite badly when
my front wheel snapped in a rut whilst going down a
hill, despite landing first on my head i was ok, my
cycle helmet was wrecked, if i hadnt been wearing it i
would have been in a poor way.
i used to cycle to school regularly and found that a
lot of the time despite reflective clothing and lights on my
bike motorists would still just turn across the front of a
cyclist purely as they didnt want the hassle of overtaking or
to be held up by the cyclist.
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???

Yet another one of the thousands of cyclists who "Land on their heads" after coming off and gleefully post on how a helmet saved their lives and here is the proof, a wrecked helmet. Well, if you did "Land on your head", how's the broken neck and the spinal injury coming along?

What I would suggest is after coming off and landing on the road your head made contact, which it is much more likely to do with two inches of polystyrene swelling it. As for the wrecked helmet, try dropping one on the floor. It will break, as it has been designed to do.

As previously stated, racing cyclists have been launching themselves off bikes for well over 100 years and the number who have died from head injuries do not even make a statistic. If you are hit by a vehicle it is more likely to be the chest injuries that do for you than the head.

Poorly lit cyclists - WipeOut
I am cyclists and motorists. I get very frustrated at cyclists who don't respect the rules of the road, and in particular don't use lights at night.

We're not all so stupid. I wish the police would do something about it, as these people give us all a bad name.
Poorly lit cyclists - Roger Jones
There is some serious research about indicating that the advent of cycling helmets has resulted not in a reduction in the number of accidents but an increase, the conclusion being that it is a classic case of risk compensation: the safer you think you are, the more you will test the boundaries. I must admit that I have always wondered how many cycling accidents involve head injuries that would have been prevented by these helmets.
Amongst the cycling community discussion of helmets generates heat and light in roughly the same proportions as scameras do in here. The real argument is not over whether helmets work or not but over calls for compulsion, as introduced by Gard.

The issues for racing and for off road riding are different, but for the utility/commuter rider there are a number of arguments against. Brain injury does not require a skull fracture; a closed injury where the brain smashes against the wall of the skull under lateral forces is arguably more damaging. There is a school of thought that says a helmet can add to the rotational force in an accident and worsen that effect. There are also circs where the helmet, on account of having a larger circumference than the head, can catch on the ground and cause neck injury – particularly when hit from behind.

I’ve never tried a helmet that was not downright uncomfortable, or was without a subliminal effect on both hearing and vision. There are significant health benefits to cycling, and compulsion to find and don a helmet for every outing acts as a significant disincentive.

I always ensure my kids wear one, but for myself I’d rather be treated like an adult and take my chances.
Poorly lit cyclists - commerdriver
Bromptonaut, I had never heard of arguments that helmets can make it worse, I have always insisted my kids wear one and always wear on myself. My son came a cropper offroad on his bike last year, wrote off his helmet and walked away none the worse.
Can you point me at sources so that I can find out more about this

thanks
Poorly lit cyclists - Brit_in_Germany
Not a scientific proof but when I am out on my bike with helmet, I can hear next to nothing because of the wind roar in my ears. There may be cases where loss of hearing could contribute to an accident.

Having said that, I would always wear one.

Best

BIG
Bromptonaut, I had never heard of arguments that helmets can make
it worse, I have always insisted my kids wear one and
always wear on myself. My son came a cropper offroad on
his bike last year, wrote off his helmet and walked away
none the worse.
Can you point me at sources so that I can find
out more about this
thanks

There's a reference on the cyclehelmets site referred to above at www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1039 . I would not regard this as conclusive; just an argument for free choice for adults. Kids are more likely to tumble and the helmet will protect them from painful injury and a trip to casualty. I insist my own kids wear one except on sustrans type tracks.
Barchettaman made a good point about car drivers opening their doors in front of cyclists. I did it again myself the other day, distracted by conversation with my passenger. The cyclist gave the door a wide berth and uttered a brisk expletive as he passed, richly deserved.

The pavement cyclists round here do it as if by right. Some are careful not to alarm pedestrians, others need to be knocked off their bikes and the machine thrown under a passing bus.
It´s a pity that the pavements aren´t designed as here in Germany, where they´re split in 2 with the roadside half designated for cyclists. Pedestrians are, therefore, aware of bikes and keep their wits about them.
Cyclists always bing their bells when approaching pedestrians from behind.
Narrower pavements see the bikes on the road on a designated lane. The Chermans have the right idea.
Personally, I think the German split pavements are one of the craziest ideas the Germans have come up with. The number of accidents at traffic lights where cars turn right and collect an unseen (probably behind a row of parked cars) cyclist is staggeringly high.

BIG
Why is that the fault of the split pavement?
Certainly turning right at a traffic light here demands more attention as if there´s a pavement or cycle path the car doesn´t have the right of way.
If the cyclist was in the road, the car driver would have noted their presence as they passed them, and the danger of them being cut up would be reduced. With the split pavement, the car will probably not have seen the cyclist and then simply turns right without thinking of the cyclist who is fast approaching the juntion, rather than standing at the crossing waiting to cross as with pedestrians.
If the cyclist was in the road, the car driver would
have noted their presence as they passed them, and the danger
of them being cut up would be reduced. With the
split pavement, the car will probably not have seen the cyclist
and then simply turns right without thinking of the cyclist who
is fast approaching the juntion, rather than standing at the crossing
waiting to cross as with pedestrians.

Which is exactly why the UK's utility cyclists do not gratefully prostrate themselves at the offer of cycle tracks/lanes.
Poorly lit cyclists - Haardvark
The pavement cyclists round here do it as if by right.
Some are careful not to alarm pedestrians, others need to be
knocked off their bikes and the machine thrown under a passing
bus.

>>

I used to cycle 30 miles a day in my younger years, and started off by always cycling on the road - that is where I belonged. However, I had so many near misses with cars that I started to use pavements where possible. I respected the pedestrians right of way, and would not bother to use a pavement where I would be weaving around them or crossing multiple junctions.

The situation became very confused when councils started to introduce cycle lanes and shared cycle/pedestrian paths. Cyclists don't know where they belong now, and some car drivers are of the opinion that all cyclists should be off the road. I have had this stated to me by drivers!

People slow down for horses and pedestrians on contry lanes, but cyclists don't get a second thought. My current commute takes me past a government establishment where cycling is very popular. Cars are either passing so close to cycles it would make you wince - or pulling across to pass them, into the path of oncoming traffic, and expecting this traffic to take evasive action!!

I have to say that on balance there are many many more dumn car drivers than cyclists out there. I don't agree with cyclists flouting rules of the road, but how many car drivers are killed by cyclists each year?? I am thinking that the figure is pretty low!

HV
Poorly lit cyclists - Vin {P}
I read this thread yesterday and decided to get truly unscientific overnight.

In two journeys, total distance about four/five miles last night and at 6 this morning, I saw 7 cyclists. 7 were unlit. 6 wore dark clothing. One had no lights, wore dark clothing and went across a dual carriageway against a red light at 6:15 this morning.

This (staggeringly unscientific) survey reflects my recent gut feel, which is that for some reason, the vast majority of cyclists seem happy to flout laws expressly designed with their safety in mind.

I don't know what can be done, short of getting our overstretched police force out blitzing these idiots once in a while. If risk of death won't change their behaviour, perhaps fines will. Perhaps a fine AND "impounded bike till you turn up with a set of lights" might do it.

I'm not anti-cyclist in any way, shape or form, but I don't want the death of one of these fools on my conscience, thank you. And the posters who point out that car drivers are sometimes less than perfect are completely right, however, this does nothing to solve the problem here, which is 100% caused by the cyclists themselves.

V
Second that, Vin, all of it.
Poorly lit cyclists - helicopter
Whenever I was riding my motorcycle around London and saw a cyclist who was riding without lights or in dark clothing I used to make a point of pulling alongside them at the lights , assuuming they stopped of course.

In a pleasant manner I would say something like 'Excuse me , but I wonder if you realise how invisible you are without lights /wearing dark clothing at night, I almost hit you because I didn't see you'. I used to particularly hate seeing kids without lights and nearly hit some kids playing on skateboards in a residential road at dusk, they were virtually invisible.

If it made one of the irresponsible so and so's think for a second then it was worthwhile but the usual reaction was apathy or astonishment and abuse to me because anyone should have the temerity to point out to them the error of their ways.....

Some cyclists have to be seen to be believed even in daylight. There's a busy market street round the corner from where I live. At the other end it narrows over a railway bridge, then curves sharply round to the right to run straight along the railway line. In the middle of the bend there is a junction with a minor road, to the left of course, with good visibility into it. It was my habit, when coming off the bridge, to floor it happily in third and come out of the curve in a brisk 30mph cruise. I always assumed as one does that traffic in the minor road would behave.

One day as I came off the bridge, floored it and laid the car neatly on its nearside doorhandle for the bend, I heard a prolonged scream, not a shout of warnig but 'Aaaaah!'. The screamer was an adolescent seated on the handlebars of a bicycle ridden by another adolescent, coming out of the side turning and already leaning over to cross my path onto the bridge. I floored the other pedal and the car, a Skoda coupe, stopped promptly, the front wheels stepping I suppose about a foot out of line and the rears about three feet. The bike with both boys cleared its nose by millimetres and rode off, already laughing.

At the next intersection the following car pulled up beside me and the driver, an Arab, looked across shaking his head. 'Did you see that?' I asked. He nodded and said: 'They were lucky.'

So was I. I sometimes wonder whether people haven't got a point when they rebuke me for optimistic driving.
Poorly lit cyclists - Happy Blue!
Driving home tonight. Dark road, dark clothing, very feint flashing LEDs and rear and none at front. Even my seven year old commented on lack of visibility and non compliance with legislation vis-a-vis flashing rear lights.

Sometimes you want to run them down to teach them a lesson (but I know you can't).
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Poorly lit cyclists - doug_r1
I think the flashing lights are great, they tend to catch your eye even when the batteries start to fade.
The flashing ones are far better than the standard light and dont 'blend' into the dark like normal ones when viewed from the distance.
Flashing rear lights are now legal.
What Bromptonaut said.
Poorly lit cyclists - Pete M
I have recently (at age 50) begun cycling again. I wear a fluorescent yellow sleeveless jacket for visibility, as it might make a difference. Here in New Zealand, cycle helmets are compulsory. Mine is light, comfortable, and does not compromise my visibility or hearing. The little piece of polystyrene is encased in a harder plastic to hold it together, and there are standards that cycle helmets must pass. I have ridden a motorcycle for many years, and would not dream of riding that without a helmet. The same goes for my bicycle. I regularly reach speeds of 30mph, so the potential for death is obvious. Walking, head down, into a brick wall is painful enough, and that is at less than 5 mph. (Yes, I've done it!) Comparisons with cycle racing events are hardly appropriate. Collisions with other traffic are far more likely in a commuting situation. Do I take more risks because I'm wearing a helmet? Of course not. That'a a red herring, like saying that seat belts have the same effect on car drivers.
A close relative, training for a triathlon, was hit from behind by a car doing 60 mph and badly injured. He had several limb injuries and a head injury. His helmet was completely destroyed in the accident, and his neurologist said to us that without the helmet, it is very unlikely that he would have survived. He has made an amazing recovery, and is able to function in society again. If I had harboured any misgivings about the value of cycle helmets, his experience would have given me a lot to think about.
Poorly lit cyclists - Waino
Flashing rear lights are now legal.

That's interesting - do you have any more details, or a reference, please?

Over recent years, the standard cycle lighting requirements have become wholly inadequate and IMHO the most useful items for being seen are A) a high viz vest and B) front and rear LEDs.
>> Flashing rear lights are now legal.
That's interesting - do you have any more details, or a
reference, please?
Over recent years, the standard cycle lighting requirements have become wholly
inadequate and IMHO the most useful items for being seen are
A) a high viz vest and B) front and rear LEDs.

Waino,

This is from the CTC website www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071 . The SI amending the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs should be on the OPSI (ex HMSO) website but i cannot immediately locate it.
I am not so sure about flashing rear lights. Used as a supplimentary item along with a steady light they are ok, but I have noticed a drawback when they are used on their own. On busy city streets a driver often has a lot of information to process, and relys on a sweeping glance to take in a lot of hazards in a short space of time. If that glance happens to fall on the cyclist when the light is off it is easy to miss it completely. A second look from a careful and observant driver will of course spot the cyclist, but there are an awful lot out there whose observation leaves a lot to be desired, and who will put the pedal down on the evidence of a brief glimpse.

Next time you come up behind a bike with a flashing rear light and you are doing around thirty have a look and you will find that the light seems to be off fo an awful long time in relation to your closing speed, even though it is probably less than a second.
Some toerag nicked my front light tonight, but left the mounting on the bike. How stupid and annoying.
My fault I s´pose for leaving it on.
I've had this happen,probably a tealeaf needed a torch to go burgling with.
Poorly lit cyclists - Pete M
Most of the LED rear lights available now have a number of LEDs that can be all on together, or show different flashing patterns or LED 'chasing' sequences. Some are particularly eye-catching. The latest ones have high intensity LEDs which are a distinct improvement. I have seen cyclists with extra lights mounted on their helmets as well as the cycle, as the weight of the lights is very low.
Another thing to watch with LED lights is their narrow beam. Bright red dot ahead, visible at 300metres, ago faded almost to nothing as cyclist turned 45degrees right into bend.
Poorly lit cyclists - L'escargot
Bicycle lights these days are nowhere near as powerful as the good old carbide lights.

www.dragon-speleo.co.uk/contents/carbide.html
--
L\'escargot.
Poorly lit cyclists - WipeOut
Bicycle lights these days are nowhere near as powerful as the
good old carbide lights.
www.dragon-speleo.co.uk/contents/carbide.html
--
L\'escargot.

Not true. When I race off road at night I use an 80 watt xenon (metal halide) helmet mounted rechargable light. It costs more than double what most people would spend on a new bike; but it ain't half bright! I don't ride on the road with it for fear of dazzling oncoming drivers!
I still have the club's Passublio lights, when I'm on the road I turn them so they're facing ahead. Have only been flashed once by a car driver, but it means they see you from a long distance away, and in their mirrors when you're behind them in a cycle lane.

Also makes pedestrians get out of the way...
Poorly lit cyclists - Waino
This is from the CTC website www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071 . The SI amending
the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs should be on the OPSI (ex
HMSO) website but i cannot immediately locate it.

>>

Many thanks for the info'.

Most bike lights are, to varying degrees, directional for being seen - that's why I'm so keen on high-viz wear. I wouldn't dream of cycling after dark without a reflective waistcoat.
I give up,just returned from a shopping centre where a copper was merrily threading his way through the peds on his bike, a road nearby so no reason for it,great example.At least it wasn't dark.
1) Get in policeman's way
2) Get knocked over
3) Fake serious injury
4) Sue police
5) PROFIT!
Might pass for a citizen's arrest situation. Worth a try if you're young or drunk or mad or self-righteous or bolshy enough.