AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Bill Payer
A lot of cars now need a visit to the garage to change the headlamp (or in some cases, any) bulbs.

As it's illegal to knowingly drive with blown bulbs, will the AA/RAC, and also the likes of BMW Assist and Mercedes Mobilolife etc, turn out and change the bulb for you? Strikes me that this would be a lot cheaper than an hour in a dealer getting it done?
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Navara Van man
I imagine the answer is no as a blown bulb does not prevent the vehicle from being driven or moved. Having said this there is scant diferance between the aa changing a wheel for instace as oposed to a bulb.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Xileno {P}
It's a bit of a grey area because you could argue the car is not safe to drive at night.

The whole thing is completely insane. Changing a light bulb should not require a visit to a garage, it should be possible to do in a few minutes from the engine bay. More and more bulbs in cars are becoming harder to change.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Navara Van man
One of the guys who works for me managed to require a trip to casulty after trying to change the bulb in his renault and skinning his knukles.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Aprilia
The amount of work that is required to change a bulb on some late model cars is a disgrace. Goodness knows what the manufacturers think they are playing at. I am also unconvinced about the merits of HID headlamps which seem incredibly expensive with no great gain in performance. I've driven two cars lately with HID (a Vauxhall and a SAAB 9-5) and was not exactly overwhelmed by the performance - on a bumpy road those on the Vauxhall kept 'nodding' because the lamp servo couldn't keep up with the suspension movement.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - henry k
The amount of work that is required to change a bulb
on some late model cars is a disgrace.

My 98 Mondeo requires a panel and the grill to be removed so poor access has been around for some years.
It is passable changing a bulb on mine on a dry day in the drive but on the road I would hesitate.
I have uprated W5W side lights so at least I retain some visibility if a dip goes.

>>on a bumpy road those on the Vauxhall kept 'nodding' because the lamp servo couldn't keep up with the suspension movement.
>>
There are vast numbers of up market HID equiped cars in my area and many of them nod. A real pain.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - bell boy
you would think that the insurance companies would insist that light units were easily replaced and therefore bulbs accesible as a prerequisite of a lower insurance rating for car park tussles and 5 mph bumps
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - none
It's dead easy to change a bulb in most lamps. They all have easy ' flip off' protection covers and simple spring retaining clips or a bayonet fitting for the bulb.
Lamp makers have done their bit, but 'style' rules. If you want a low bonnet line or a smooth back end, various bits and bobs have to be sited wherever there is a space - often just behind a headlamp !
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - kithmo
>> The amount of work that is required to change a
bulb
>> on some late model cars is a disgrace.
My 98 Mondeo requires a panel and the grill to be
removed so poor access has been around for some years.
It is passable changing a bulb on mine on a dry
day in the drive but on the road I would hesitate.
I have uprated W5W side lights so at least I retain
some visibility if a dip goes.

Totally different story on my 2001 Mk3 Mondeo: Lift bonnet, twist 2 clips and remove front grill, pull out two metal retaining strips, pull out headlamp unit, unclip connector, unclip back cover, unclip and remove bulb. Refit: previous steps in reverse order. Whole thing takes less time than it did for me to write it.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - henry k
Totally different story on my 2001 Mk3 Mondeo:... takes less time than it did for me to write it.

>>
At least that is real progress over my model.
I forgot to add that, each side, I have to choose two specific screws to be removed and one slackened to allow removal of the whole headlamp unit thus avoiding adjusting the beam angles. It is also better to unplug the side lights for a clearer view of the bulb seating.

The rear clusters need no tools and are instant access.
There is an odd feature where one of the 5/21W bulbs only utilises the 5W so I have in effect spare stop lights in situ.

Yaris drivers beware. I have never seen the required wedge type headlamp bulbs on sale in filling stations.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - L'escargot
One of the guys who works for me managed to require
a trip to casulty after trying to change the bulb in
his renault and skinning his knuckles.

What a wimp! ;-)

--
L\'escargot.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Stuartli
The offside headlight bulb is easy to change on my VW Bora, but the nearside bulb holder is very close to the battery housing.....:-(
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - runboy
I know of Audi A2 owners calling out the Audi recovery service to fit new headlight bulbs. But the service that comes out is usually the RAC or AA anyway, contracted to Audi. Maybe Audi pay a bit more for this service, or maybe the RAC/AA do provide a headlight changing service?
I know of Audi A2 owners calling out the Audi recovery
service to fit new headlight bulbs. But the service that comes
out is usually the RAC or AA anyway, contracted to Audi.
Maybe Audi pay a bit more for this service, or maybe
the RAC/AA do provide a headlight changing service?

Maybe they will do it (I don't really see how they could refuse - if the car is illegal then it's immobilised) but perhaps they charge a stupid amount for the bulb. Perhaps they'd offer to relay you home just to be really awkward.

The Mercedes Mobilo breakdown thing apparently covers the cost of parts up to a certain value, so that ought to be OK.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - ukbeefy
I wonder if the difficulty in changing bulbs means more cars go about with one headlight on...or no brake lights....I've noted in London that a certain private hire company with a fleet of new black Fiat Ullysee models with projector headlights seem to have 50% of their vehicles running about month in month out with only one working headlight.
I wonder if the difficulty in changing bulbs means more cars
go about with one headlight on...or no brake lights....I've noted in
London that a certain private hire company with a fleet of
new black Fiat Ullysee models with projector headlights seem to have
50% of their vehicles running about month in month out with
only one working headlight.

I thought the Police were pretty strict on private hire vehicles and would take them off the road if illegal. Don't they have to be MOT's more frequently than ordinary vehicles?
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - David Horn
I thought that the only requirement during a taxi MOT is to check that the driver's beaded seat cover is securely in place and that the radio only picks up random religious AM stations.

You know, I think I'm too cynical.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Unusual Autos
The AA and RAC will NOT change bulbs on car as this is not a mechanical breakdown.The car breakdown polices are an insurance against breakdown and not for bulb changes ,as an ex-patrol i was amazed at the callouts we would get
The company would make a charge if it was felt the callout was unjust.
We even got a callout because a farmer had lost a sheep in the lane !!

The AA and RAC will NOT change bulbs on car as
this is not a mechanical breakdown.The car breakdown polices are an
insurance against breakdown and not for bulb changes ,as an ex-patrol
i was amazed at the callouts we would get
The company would make a charge if it was felt the
callout was unjust.

Hmm - I guess that's pretty clear then. So, if you were some distance from home and felt uphappy about driving your car with one headlight (perhaps a Police Officer had stopped you) then the AA/RAC wouldn't come to your aid?
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Mapmaker
Oh yes I'm sure they will. A friend had an AA man change a windscreen wiper motor once on my car. He'd actually come for another reason - car wouldn't start in rain. He got it going & the wiper motor died in a cloud of smoke. He came back three days later to fix a new motor. He said that they were there to get you on the road & as driving without windscreen wipers made the car unroadworthy then it was covered within what they do. Makes a blown bulb look like a major issue.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Xileno {P}
Phone them up and ask.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - ajsdoc
On a similar vein, I wonder how they'll react if you have a car with no spare wheel. I have a Honda Accord Tourer which comes with no spare and a can of "wheel gunk" should you have a flat.

The gunk seems a faff and clearly wouldn't help if there was a major blow out. I wonder if they would help, and at what cost? I have to admit I'm tempted to buy a space saver which was an option when new. Saying that now driving for 12 years and never had a puncture ........
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - ffidrac {P}
.>> On a similar vein, I wonder how they'll react if you
have a car with no spare wheel. I have a
Honda Accord Tourer which comes with no spare and a can
of "wheel gunk" should you have a flat.
The gunk seems a faff and clearly wouldn't help if there
was a major blow out. I wonder if they would
help, and at what cost? I have to admit I'm
tempted to buy a space saver which was an option when
new. Saying that now driving for 12 years and never had
a puncture ........

Had a problem some while ago similar to this:

A dog ran out in front of me causing me to swerve, I hit high kerb and severely dented the rim (NSF) changed wheel myself got home and disposed of damaged wheel. Ordered a new wheel. Got a puncture before wheel arrived at dealers, called RAC and was informed that as I had no spare they could charge for recovery. As luck would have it my explanation was accepted (and because I am disabled perhaps?) fee was waived.

However if you have no spare wheel supplied with the car as new then you should have no problem
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Mapmaker
>>However if you have no spare wheel supplied with the car as new then you should have no problem

I really wouldn't bet on that! I'd check before relying on that statement.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - Galaxy
Should be very interesting if the AA/RAC get called out to a Smart Car with a puncture.

No spare wheel provided since the wheels front and back are different sizes!

I wonder what they would do? In reality, recovery is the only option.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>The AA and RAC will NOT change bulbs on car as this is not a mechanical breakdown.

I find that very strange; I've certainly called the AA out for electrical problems in the past, a breakdown is a breakdown after all. I've just checked the terms & conditions on the AA web site and it makes no distinction between mechanical & electrical breakdowns.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - barney100
Never mind headlight bulbs....what about instrument cluster bulbs? You would be brave to try that that!
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - barney100
Also struck me that the AA changing a bulb would use up one of your 5? allowed callouts, perhaps better to get it to a garage if you don't feel confident to have a go.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - jdc
The RAC will go out to you if you wish to use one of your call-outs for changing bulbs.

There is usually no charge for the bulb as it is a nominal few pence cost to us.

If a member is by the roadside, at night and headlights don't work for this reason, it is a perfectly valid call out. The same if you are at home, at night.

As for SMART cars, punctures are attempted to be fixed roadside (vans carry rudimentary repair items) but if not fixable usually the car is recovered to the nearest tyre store.

As for new cars supplied without a spare as standard, there will usually be some arrangement with the RAC or AA for vehicle recovery to the nearest tyre depot or dealer. This type of cover would normally be provided by the deaer/manufacturer (for example my Subaru came with Subaru Assist, my Skoda comes with AA etc.etc.) I am sure there is something similar for Honda also that stays with the vehicle for 3 years.

jdc
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - BobbyG
The AA new car cover for Renault specifically EXCLUDES anything to do with punctures.
AA RAC etc - will they change bulbs? - jdc
Do new Renaults come with spares as standard ?

jdc
Most do, think the Grand Scenic doesn't though you can purchase a spare saver separately.

Can't remember the exact wording of the AA cover but its along the lines of if the breakdown is a result of technical problems ie a breakdown, then its covered, but if its run of the mill eg puncture etc, then it won't be covered.
From Renaults website:

Renault Assistance provides the services of the AA during the 3 year manufacturer warranty, but while this programme aims to provide you with peace of mind motoring, it only covers manufacturer-based or mechanical faults on your vehicle. For a single payment of £50, your Assistance cover will be upgraded to include the following incidents:

The use of incorrect fuel, or lack of fuel
Wheel changes, punctured tyres
Instances where keys have been locked inside the vehicle, lost or stolen
Road traffic accidents
Incidents involving caravans and trailers