Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Imagos
Yet again earlier today I had the ubiqtious white van man trying to push me down the road by staying a few feet away from my bumper for a few miles until he got the oppertunity to take a risky overtaking manouvere with the obligatory middle finger salute as he passed by. (I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me)

But the said van had his company email/website address splashed on the rear door, so should I email and complain?

Or am I asking for trouble?

If I do what should I say?

Input would be apprieciated before I decide.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - mss1tw
I would, but then I also love winding up tailgating pfd's.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Ruperts Trooper
Complain, with full details, by email to the Constabulary Headquarters for the area in which it happened. Copy your email to the driver's company.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - school boy
Dont bother with the police,they wont do anything, if it was a self employed man dont e-mail them either. If it was a big company do complain though.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - defender
(I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me)
most certainly dont approve of tailgateing but driving as slow as you can to upset following drivers is a good way to cause road rage ,sorry but 2 wrongs dont make a right. the best thing to do is to encourage them past as soon as you can then you wont be involved in the accident they are looking for,wouldn`t do any harm to let the company know about him though
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Citroënian {P}
(drive slowly) - no, I'm with Stuartli on this - if there's no braking distance between you and the idiot behind, you need to have more planning time and space. Can't say I'd condone driving at 12mph, but driving faster is a bad idea.
--Lee
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Stuartli
>>no, I'm with Stuartli on this >>

You've got the wrong Stuart...:-)

However, I do exactly the same thing. I slow down just enough to be awkward and just fast enough to make any overtaking manoeuvre difficult if the circumstances make it unsafe.

I then wait until there is a suitable opportunity for the tailgater to pass, which is indicated by flashing the left hand indicator two or three times.

Mind you, in the past, I've been known to drop into second, hit the brakes for a split second and then go hard on the throttle.

Depends how close up the tailgater is and the speed at which you are travelling whether it's a good idea or not...:-))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - L'escargot
Mind you, in the past, I've been known to drop into
second, hit the brakes .......

That's as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than tailgating.
--
L\'escargot.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Theunisse
Can't say I'm a fan of tailgating white van men (it's happened to me), but deliberately holding up drivers who are under a lot of pressure to make good progress is driving without due care and attention.
The IAM recommend driving at the speed limit if conditions are appropriate and making good progress.
If someone wants to drive faster than me I try to make it as easy as possible for them to overtake.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Lud
(I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me)
most certainly dont approve of tailgateing but driving as slow as
you can to upset following drivers is a good way to
cause road rage ,sorry but 2 wrongs dont make a right.
the best thing to do is to encourage them past as
soon as you can then you wont be involved in the
accident they are looking for,wouldn`t do any harm to let the
company know about him though

Spot on. And do these people know what tailgating means? Some of them slow down as soon as another vehicle appears anywhere behind them, or in some cases coming the other way. There are people who want to get somewhere without fuss and people whose aim in life seems to be to cause as much delay and annoyance as possible.
I think the local constabulary would be the best port of call - especially if he's been agressive after getting past.

The problem with white van man and contacting him is that he may well be a sole trader - if so you're likely to get only more abuse if you phone/mail. And I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with one of these neanderthals having my email address or phone number (141?)

I did once phone a private coach company after a load of abuse from a driver, and the person answering the phone couldn't have been more helpful. Not sure what came of it, but that I'd done anything at all definitely made me feel better.
--Lee
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can withold your number when calling and for $10 a year you can join an organisation called Spamex, a subsidiary of Zone Labs, and get access to 1000 unique anonymous and untraceable email addresses. I use the service when e mailing people who I do not want to have my direct return e mail address. Replies still reach me but thru a server which acts as an intermediary.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - WipeOut
Tailgating isn't right. But never is holding up the traffic. I'm not saying you were driving slowly, but van driver was clearly in a hurry, why didn't you just try and help him past and move over when safe.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - hillman
I had a chap running up to the back of me and flashing lights several times one night about 11.00pm, dropping back and doing it again. He could have passed me because I was doing 30 mph and there was no-one else on the road. So I indicated left and slowed down to 10 mph or so. When he passed me I picked up speed and resumed progress. A few hundred yards further he turned off into a house driveway. The car was full of middle aged people, so I must assume that either he was drunk and playing games, or had a leaky prostate and needed the loo.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Smileyman
Were you driving more than 2 - 3 mph below the speed limit?
Was the weather fine, dry & clear?
Was it safe (and legal) to drive faster?

The reason I ask is that there is nothing more infuriating than someone in front meandering along as if they are out on a Sunday drive.

And slow drivers do precipitate dangerous reactions, which could include overtaking when the conditions are not really suitable.

If being tailgated I tend to get out of the way ASAP, I do NOT want such a person behind me, or overtaking me dangerously with possibility of causing an accident in which I may become involved.

Of course if you feel the driver's actions were unsafe then report to both police and name printed on side of vehicle - it might save oneone's life, or just cost someone their livelihood.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - local yokel
I rang and reported a car that I was following on a fast but twisty raod for 10 miles. For most of the time the car was wandering across the white lines, sometimes fully across, but not accurately, just drifting around. I stepped right back and gave him about five times the safe distance as I could see him hitting a tree/kerbstone and spinning back into the road.

He didn't, amazingly, and I reached my destination. I had his reg., and called the police. When asked why, I said he was having real difficulty concentrating, as if drunk/drugged/very tired. They were very happy to be told, and said they'd pass his details out.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Navara Van man
Why not pull over and let the driver pass you were clearly holding them up.

Just today I came across an idiot in a golf with his own road block of folowing cars. The dry road and the presence of other vehicles necesitated an average speed of 30mph on 60mph national speed limit road this road can be safely driven at around 50mph with speed reduction of around 5mph for bends.

These drivers often seem to resent overtaking sometimes speeding up in order to prevent this . My remedy is always the same, overtake when safe. I never bother tailgaiting prefering to keep my distance in order to provide visibility in order to safely overtake. The worst ofenders also get a blast of the horn and if I am having a bad day a reaction test (having passed them).
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - neil
"Yet again earlier today" - hmm, bit of a pattern emerging...?

Why not hurry up?

>>Why not hurry up?

Because it's illegal to break the speed limit, and with some of these pink fluffy dice they'd be driving like this no matter how fast you drive. Have a look at lane 3 on the M1 south of Leicester most weekdays between 8-10am.

This is the point being made in Woody's speed camera thread- no consequences for driving like a complete pink fluffy dice but if you so much as stray over the limit by 4mph, lord help you. I'm won't, and I don't think anyone else should, drive over the limit because some outsized builder/painter/plumber wants to get to his next bacon sandwich/coffin a bit quicker.

--
Lee
With respect if somone is sticking to the speed limit then i will hapily folow behind them however not when they are traveling at almost 30 miles per hour LESS than the limit. I dont have fluffy dice but do run on a tight schedule were apointments and callouts need to be kept too.

On the motorway or dual carigway i obviously just sail past them
To quote the s***e girls "Better arrive late than dead on time"...but seriously, if someone is doing 30 in a 60, then that would be a little odd and questionable - although this would at least be sufficiently slow to allow easy overtaking even on a single carriageway?

Lee -- Do you have any conceivable reason for even getting up in the morning?
No sure why the swearfilter has eaten that, but the starred word was a reference to Posh, Ginger, Sporty, Baby and Scary - the popular pop music condiment combo of the mid-late 90s

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Dalglish
No sure why the swearfilter has eaten that

>>

i too agree with the original poster (who is not stuartli, but has a name very close to it - i think he used to post as "imagos" originally ).

i think most advanced driving teachers would teach you to slow down and allow the tailgater to pass at the earliest opportunity. see tip 15 at
www.worcadvmot10.fsnet.co.uk/tips.html

in sturat's case, he should be reported both to his employers and the police.

as to the swearfilter, i think it is the first four letters in that word that hj does not like. so you cannot post about a highly polished & clean car here as " ---- and span ".

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Manatee
>> "Yet again earlier today" - hmm, bit of a pattern
emerging...?
Why not hurry up?

Er, don't blame the tailgatee. There are all sorts of reasons why someone might want to travel more slowly than you or I think is safe and legal, and within reason they are entitled to do so.

In any case I am rarely held up by any one car - it's almost invariably the second vehicle, a tailgater, who makes the queue as anyone behind has to pass two in one go or push in between them.

Many tailgaters, ironically, seem incapable of an overtake. I waved one past, at about 60, on a rural road recently where he had passed up several chances to pass me already. Once past, he then slowed down to 50, and I remained behind. He then came upon a tractor, trvaelling at 25 or so, and followed it as if on tow for about half a mile before I overtook both. For all I know he's still behind it, he certainly couldn't see round it.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Martin Devon
I always report this especially artics and draw bars driving like lunatics. I report them to the firm and to plod. Two months ago a newspaper delivery driver, (Seven ton lorry), mounted the pavement adjacent to where I was working and narrowly missed, (8 feet!), a Mother and a tot in hand. When I pulled him he said, "I didn't see her." The matter is on its way to court and I hope the git loses his license.

vbr.............md
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - spikeyhead {p}
It's rare that I get tailgated, probably because I tend to drive slightly faster than most, and possibly because these days most of my motoring is in rusty, dented bangers.

A few years ago I was in a 1.2 Corsa and was being tailgated by a group of teenagers in a hot hatch. As I approached some lights, where I was turning right, the lights turned green and I had a clear enough view to take the right turn quickly, so i did, left foot braking on the way into the bend, opposite locked and powered away from teh apex. Once back in the straight I took great delight in seeing that the hot hatch had been spun by its driver. They caught me up at the next set of lights and I could see that the driver was being ridiculed by his mates for not being able to drive a hot hatch as well as a 1.2 Corsa could be driven.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Dynamic Dave
It's rare that I get tailgated,

Same here. It's usually me that doing the tailgating ;o)

Nothing worse than having a driver in front of you that dawdles.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - MoneyMart
"A few years ago I was in a 1.2 Corsa and was being tailgated by a group of teenagers in a hot hatch. As I approached some lights, where I was turning right, the lights turned green and I had a clear enough view to take the right turn quickly, so i did, left foot braking on the way into the bend, opposite locked and powered away from teh apex."

In a 1.2 Corsa?

Did you then wake up?
------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - storme
there should be a law against going tooooo slow...as well as too fast

too slow is just as dangerous....

no-one has the right to make people do the same speed as what they are doing. only last week i was "stuck" doing 30mph in a 50 mph limit....no-one else in front..and was given the finger when i overtook....i only wanted to do 45mph
--
www.storme.co.uk
The type of road I was travelling on was a fairly winding country road but was a 'A' classified road so the speed limit was 60, i maintained a steady 40 after slowing down from around 55 which IMO was not unreasonable but far too slow for Mr Mercedes Sprinter driver.

After reading your posts (thank you) I've decided to email the said drivers company. If there is a reply i'll endevour to tell you here.

I really am fed up with this sort of thing and this is not the first time. I will absolutely not be intimidated by some oik in a white van.

All I ask is that cars maintain a safe distance behind me.. is that really too much to ask?
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - bell boy
having still an ongoing neck injury from a tail slammer before suing was fashionable i totally agree with you, i get the feeling that people are not switched on anymore and dont even know thet are doing it.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - AN Other
Yeah, give his company a ring - they'll probably be very interested, and if they're not, you've done all you can.

I probably wouldn't slow down excessively when this kind of thing happens, although I know it's tempting! It only enrages the following driver, and makes them more likely to do something dangerous. Just drive normally, and indicate them past on the next straight bit.

I don't mind people driving faster than me at all, and generally like to help them through for two reasons:
a) Fast driving can be fun, and I do it myself when I can be bothered to make the effort
b) They're less likely to cause an accident in which I'm involved.

Good luck with the company!
HOW PATHETIC!

You freely admit to driving as slowly as you can to wind this guy up, then want to complain to his company (or the police), thus risking him losing his job?

Have you ever heard the phrase "live and let live"?
------------
MoneyMart

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Stuartli
>>Have you ever heard the phrase "live and let live"?>>

I understand the point you are making but a speed limit sign is just that, not a command.

You can drive, within reason, at whatever speed you deem necessary or safe according to the circumstances.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - blue_haddock
I'm with MoneyMart on this one - if you could tell he wasn't happy with you doing 55mph surely it would be better to let him pass you than deliberately slowing down?

I can't remember the exact details but from when i passed my test i seem to remember that you could fail or at least pick up minors for impeding the progress of others, so in view of this you were probably just as guilty as he was.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - andymc {P}
Well, I'm with Stuart. Slowing down should make it easier for the tailgater to pass anyway, but miraculously they often fail to do so, preferring to sit a few inches away. I was driving in icy conditions recently, as quickly as I felt was safe (like DD I'm usually the one doing the overtaking) but there wasn't much traction on a rural road with some twists & turns, so I was doing under 30. I ended up with someone tailgating me so close that I couldn't see her lights. I gradually slowed, blipping the left indicator two or three times, and was down to about 15 mph and over two miles later before the fool finally overtook. There was no way I was going to drive faster, but I knew there was an even greater chance than usual that the car behind could hit me thanks to the slippy conditions. As far as I was concerned, if this was going to happen I wanted the impact to be at as low a speed as possible.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
"the speed limit was 60, i maintained a steady 40"

There's an argument for sugesting otherwise - if you want to drive that slowly, you should be prepared to facilitate others who may wish to pass, surely?

Maybe you should put YOUR boss's number on the boot, so people sick of your dawdling can express their feelings too...?

Just a thought!

N
You can drive, within reason, at whatever speed you deem necessary
or safe according to the circumstances.

Try telling that to a GATSO or scamera partnership.

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2007 at 01:40

HOW PATHETIC!
You freely admit to driving as slowly as you can to
wind this guy up, then want to complain to his company
(or the police), thus risking him losing his job?
Have you ever heard the phrase "live and let live"?
------------
MoneyMart

Don' be ridiculous. If he doesn't want to drive at 55 with a tailgater attached then I agree with him - slow down. If t/g wants to pass he can do - Stuart didn't say anything about obstructing him as I recall.

As to t/g losing his job, one complaint isn't going to do that - but if he provokes regular complaints he will rightly face some questions.

I assume that as Stuart is considering reporting this one that it was more aggressive tailgating than the norm, or he'd be reporting somebody every day.
I can honestly say i don't have a problem with people tailgating me, perhaps it's because i'm happy to make good progress on roads where i can and i concentrate on the road in front of me rather than looking in my rear view mirror and measuring how far away people behind me are.
Quote : "Stuart didn't say anything about obstructing him as I recall."

Quote from Stuart's original post : "I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me"

Nuff said imo.
------------
MoneyMart

Apology for calling Moneymarket ridiculous. BH I disagree with you also. To say Stuart is as much to blame as an irresponsible and aggressive driver, especially one who proably does it for a living and should know better, cannot be right.

I usually force these people to pass by lifting off and indicating left on a straight bit (having done exactly what Staurt did in the meantime - slowed down). It amazes me how often I almost have to come to a halt before they pass - often they seem to be hynotically attached rather than actively looking to get by - on one occasion I did come to a halt, still with t/g attached and a chap with a phone clapped to his ear had to reverse to get round me. That was my fault too I suppose?

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - nortones2
The TG's who remain glued and don't overtake when possible, seem to be getting off on the TG'ing. Strange how they seem wary of overtaking.
The point is the driver did not try and pull over more likely slowing down needlesly were no one can overtake then increasing speed when anyone starts to overtake.

My problem is not with those who want to travel faster but with those who seek to regulate others speed with out understanding that some people run to a very tight schedule and bad driving is likely to delay the folowing drivers causeing them to try and make up lost time for example by doing 40 in a 30 etc.

If a driver is traveling close to the limit i am usualy content to folow but not at significantly reduced speeds with usualy totaly uncercery and dangerouse breaking for oncoming vehicles and bends.

paul
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - bell boy
i usually find that the smaller the car you are in the bigger the tailgating problem, ie if i am in a fiesta i seem to get tailgated a lot but if im in a mondeo i dont, I hate tailgaters and it stems from being rammed from behind by one 20 years ago when i had to do an emergancy stop, i therefore will not have a small car as an everyday vehicle.
As regards complaining then yes as someone at HO might take notice because of their duty of care or might dismiss you,but you will have done your best.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Why report the driver? this person was probably trying to keep to a tight schedule, restrited by speed cameras, changing speed limits and bad driving exibited by those who refuse to le others pass prefering to hold them back and iritate.

This is pathetic behaviour.

Why report the driver? this person was probably trying to keep
to a tight schedule, restrited by speed cameras, changing speed limits
and bad driving exibited by those who refuse to le others
pass prefering to hold them back and iritate.

So that makes it ok to endanger my life, and his own, and other motorists with his aggressive behaviour?

As for those who iritate? well like I say I WILL not be intimidated by anybody.

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - nortones2
Gards use of the word "probably" is an unconvincing attempt to whitewash dangerous driving. Restricted by speed cameras perhaps, but obviously not speed limits:) Any more stereotypes to justify oafishness?
>>>HOW PATHETIC!>>>

ok, i'm travelling at 55 and I have a van as close as he can get to my rear for several miles. I reduced my speed so if there is an accident through me braking sharply (child running out etc) it would be less severe.

Yes pathetic not for me though.
I don't mind being stuck behind things like lorries doing 40mph as i know they are only doing their job and if they could go any quicker pretty much all of them would. However someone who decides to drive at such a speed when they are more than able to go quicker deserve all the grief they get.
Why not just indicate and pull over so he could get past. Only fools tailgait and in the event of an emergency stop he would be in your boot.

Why try and antagonise the van driver by slowing down?
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - sierraman
I am starting to get a feeling of deja vu....
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - barchettaman
´tailgait´

funny walk caused by applicaion of WVM´s boot to lane-hogger´s backside in motorway service station, after frank and full exchange of views regarding lane discipline.
TGs are simple folk - I don't think the equation

Tailgate + Agression = driver gets out of your way

It'll lead only to more tailgating.

When driving, what's in front of me should be a concern. People on tight schedules/running late/power trips/with no brain behind me shouldn't.

If someone is going too slow in front of me, I'll keep my distance until I can get past them. Not hard, really.
Driving slowly while being aware of following traffic and keeping as far as possible out of its way is one thing. Driving too slowly and staying in the way is another.

I get the impression that a small proportion of posters here are aggressive mimsers and galloping pains in the fundament. Indeed about the same proportion as that of the obstructive idiots one comes across on the road daily.

Bad cess to them, and congratulations to some of the others. Really this argument is pointless as some people are too silly to recognise when they are wrong.
>>>HOW PATHETIC!>>>
ok, i'm travelling at 55 and I have a van as
close as he can get to my rear for several miles.
I reduced my speed so if there is an accident through
me braking sharply (child running out etc) it would be less
severe.
Yes pathetic not for me though.

You're PATHETIC because of your attitude demonstrated in your intital post : quote "I drive as slow as I can if you tailgate me"

Don't try and backtrack by quoting safety reasons - just admit it, you didn't like the way someone else was driving, so you deliberately retaliated by driving in a manner likely to annoy and cause inconvenience. And even having done so, you still can't let it lie and want more by squaling to his employer. (how cowardly).

If safety was really your concern, you would pull over and stop at the earliest convenience.

One day you will do this to the wrong person. One day you will receive a slap (or worse).
------------
MoneyMart

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - NowWheels
Don't try and backtrack by quoting safety reasons - just admit
it, you didn't like the way someone else was driving, so
you deliberately retaliated by driving in a manner likely to annoy
and cause inconvenience.

It's not just a matter of "didn't like": can you understand that following someone too closely is dangerous? That it's illegal for a good resaon?
And even having done so, you still can't
let it lie and want more by squaling to his employer.
(how cowardly).

What an outrageous swine he is, reporting aggressive and dangerous driving! The rat! Just between you and me, I bet you he's the sort of lowlife who also would also report someone who who threatened to physically attack someone ;)
If safety was really your concern, you would pull over and
stop at the earliest convenience.

In extremis, he may have done that. But are you really saying that he wasn't any safer being tailgated at 40 than at 55? (Remember, at 40mph the kinetic energy is halved)

But bearing in mind what you say below, I'll now remember never to risk stopping if I encounter that sort of driver.
One day you will do this to the wrong person. One
day you will receive a slap (or worse).

Truly charming. Clear the road for bullying drivers, and don't dare report them -- or get beaten up.
I get the impression that a small proportion of posters here
are aggressive mimsers and galloping pains in the fundament. Indeed about
the same proportion as that of the obstructive idiots one comes
across on the road daily.
Bad cess to them, and congratulations to some of the others.
Really this argument is pointless as some people are too silly
to recognise when they are wrong.

Absolutely! I couldn't have put that better myself.

Congratulations, Lud.
"A few years ago I was in a 1.2 Corsa and
was being tailgated by a group of teenagers in a hot
hatch. As I approached some lights, where I was turning right,
the lights turned green and I had a clear enough view
to take the right turn quickly, so i did, left foot
braking on the way into the bend, opposite locked and powered
away from teh apex."
In a 1.2 Corsa?
Did you then wake up?

How is driving technique dependant on engine size?

Muppet.
How is driving technique dependant on engine size?
Muppet.

"....opposite lock and powered away from the apex"

Muppet x2
------------
MoneyMart

To quote, I drive as slow as I can if i tailgate.

This is WHY I called you pathetic!

What a sensible mature atitude, Not only do you hold others up by not being sensible enough to pull over you further seek to cause a confrontaion and iritate the folowing driver.

There is room on the road for everyone however some comonsense is needed.

Paul

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Dynamic Dave
This is WHY I called you pathetic!

Enough of the personal insults please.

DD.
When I posted an example above of having been tailgated in icy conditions, I used the following phrase: "as quickly as I felt was safe". That's what informs my driving style, and it's why I tend to be the person doing the overtaking rather than holding up the traffic. I like to get where I'm going as quickly as possible, not waste time on the road, etc. However, I have occasionally had to remind myself that what I feel is a safe speed may not be what the driver in front feels is a safe speed. Being considerate of other road users cuts both ways.

When waiting to overtake, I tend to avoid being just a few feet (or inches!) behind for very practical reasons. It makes it more difficult for me to get past safely (I have actually compared which is the easier option, and it's always easier from further back), it puts me and the car in front at greater risk of a collision that will be deemed my fault and will bump up my premiums, it forces me into a "brake/accelerate/brake" style of driving which puts me under more stress and ultimately slows me down, losing out on overtaking opportunities! That's why I don't tailgate, but I still seem to manage to overtake when I want to most of the time.
--
andymc
Quite right andymc. A lot of us including me need reminding sometimes that the sort of driving that makes us grind our teeth in utter contempt seems desperately fast and dangerous to some of these people.

Part of the problem is that the driving test is all conducted under 50mph on urban roads. There are people who never progress beyond this level except for the acquisition of bad habits and a resentful, beleaguered attitude.

I agree thougnh that the adult drivers among us should show compassion by noticing them as little as possible. We just have to hope that none of them go sneaking to the fuzz with exaggerated tales about our recklessness. If I know plod he won't take much notice, but you never know.
I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me>>>

Well thanks for all your replies and insults.

My final 2 points is that i'm staggered that some of you actually condone tailgaters.. Amazing!

..and that i shall continue to slow down if anybody decides to follow me 3 ft from my bumper. Nothing posted here has changed my mind.

regards Stuart.

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - David Horn
Oh, come on. EVERYONE knows that the effective technique for dealing with a tailgater is the give the brakes a good test. *Runs*

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Sofa Spud
When thought about dispassionately, there aren't many adavntages to driving an ageing Land Rover as everyday transport. I don't do so now but I did for a few years. One advantage, particularly because the LR was slow, was that car tailgaters didn't bother me. I could only see their roof in the mirror and I often couldn't go faster even if I wanted to. The rear crossmember gave the impression would make a mess of any bonnet that hit it, even if, in truth, it was mostly composed of rust!
Excellent SS. And speaking from bitter personal experience, I can recommend those beleaguered for whatever reason by tailgaters to invest in a solid towbar.

'You shoulda seen the other guy.'
I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate me ...
..and that i shall continue to slow down if anybody decides
to follow me 3 ft from my bumper.

That's entirely up to you. If you want to increase the risk of being hit up the rear, then do so. It won't bother me one iota.
--
L\'escargot.
>> I drive as slow as i can if you tailgate
me ...
>>
>> ..and that i shall continue to slow down if anybody
decides
>> to follow me 3 ft from my bumper.
That's entirely up to you. If you want to increase the
risk of being hit up the rear, then do so. It
won't bother me one iota.
--
L\'escargot.

Yep... or until someone unsavoury takes exception and gives you a slap!
------------
MoneyMart

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - stevied
What is this fixation with "slapping"? I take it that you deem it acceptable for people to hit other people if they disagree with their driving style? Surely we should concentrate on ridding the roads of these "unsavoury" characters rather than being intimidated by them if we "dare" to express displeasure in a non-confrontational way?
To put MY feelings on here, I don't slow down to "annoy" tailgaters, I get out of their way at the earliest opportunity. I drive quickly and efficiently, but there are instances, especially in M-way roadworks, where people tailgate and it's UNACCEPTABLE. These people DO need to be reported, regardless of what these "ooh life's tough deal with it I am a big manly rep look at my paddles" folk say.
.. oik in a white van.

That's being a bit presumptuous!

oik ~ Noun. An unsophisticated, uncultured and objectionable person. Derog.

--
L\'escargot.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Union Jack
".. oik in a white van.

That's being a bit presumptuous!

oik ~ Noun. An unsophisticated, uncultured and objectionable person. Derog."

Presumptuous? Au contraire - sounds an almost perfect definition of the driver concerned in the circumstances described, driving in such an intimidating manner - irrespective of whether he was driving a white van or a yellow Rolls Royce. We all know exactly what he was doing, so I am somewhat surprised at the number of posts which seem to suggest that his behaviour on a busy motorway was acceptable.

Jack
The highway code states:

144: Being Overtaken. IF A DRIVER IS TRYING TO OVERTAKE YOU MAINTAIN A STEADY COURSE AND SPEED, SLOWING DOWN IF NECESSARY TO LET THE VEHICLE PASS. NEVER OBSTRUCT DRIVERS WHO WISH TO PASS.

Clearly the van was trying to pass, so you should do what you can to help him pass.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - daveyjp
I had one last night - local yoof in his Corsa 1.0 litre with lots of skirts! It wasn't until I left him (briefly) at some traffic lights that I saw he had the ubiquitous foglights on - that's how close he was. I just got on with driving within the limit and let him stress himself out. When I eventually pulled over to park he carried on at the same speed!
The highway code states:
144: Being Overtaken. IF A DRIVER IS TRYING TO OVERTAKE YOU
MAINTAIN A STEADY COURSE AND SPEED, SLOWING DOWN IF NECESSARY TO
LET THE VEHICLE PASS. NEVER OBSTRUCT DRIVERS WHO WISH TO
PASS.
Clearly the van was trying to pass, so you should do
what you can to help him pass.

If a driver is trying to overtake, no prob - let 'em through if possible. But if they are trying to intimidate someone out of the way, it's a different situation.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - carer
I drive at the true speed limit when safe to do so (using a gps to show my speed). When someone tailgates me, it's not because they want to overtake me! I very rarely have WVD up my backside, normally it's salon and Hatchback drivers who as I drive a 4x4, all they can see a couple of feet beyond the front of their car is my tow bar! In each case I slow down until they back off. I do not make any effort to impeded their progress if they wish to overtake, but neither will I pull into a gate way (I live in a rural area) to allow them to pass. I have complained about only one person driving a marked company vehicle, and that was a Artic who cut up a slower (45MPH) moving car on the A55, who missed the front of the car by 2ft. The Police later phoned to thank me as it turned out the driver was running without a tacho and hadn't slept in over 48hrs (someone running on a tight schedule). I've been overtaken by several idiots who started off tailgating me, only to see them pulled over at the side of the rd. Due to the fact that they'd approached a camera vehicle utilising it's ANPR camera, so they got their come-upance. Tailgating is just a intimidating tactic and has nothing to do with being blocked from overtaking, so if you tailgate expect the vehicle in front to slow down!

Dave
>> The highway code states:
>>
>> 144: Being Overtaken. IF A DRIVER IS TRYING TO OVERTAKE
YOU
>> MAINTAIN A STEADY COURSE AND SPEED, SLOWING DOWN IF NECESSARY
TO
>> LET THE VEHICLE PASS. NEVER OBSTRUCT DRIVERS WHO WISH
TO
>> PASS.
>>
>> Clearly the van was trying to pass, so you should
do
>> what you can to help him pass.
If a driver is trying to overtake, no prob - let
'em through if possible. But if they are trying to intimidate
someone out of the way, it's a different situation.

Nobody is saying tailgating is right or undertaking. The point I'm making is that if you are suffering tailgaters, perhaps you need to spend more time in the left lane.

I don't suffer tailgaters:

a) I'm usually driving fast
b) I just get out of the way, life is too short to get upset. In the overall picture of my journey it doesn't matter.
>> If a driver is trying to overtake, no prob - let
>> 'em through if possible. But if they are trying to intimidate
>> someone out of the way, it's a different situation.
Nobody is saying tailgating is right or undertaking. The point I'm
making is that if you are suffering tailgaters, perhaps you need
to spend more time in the left lane.

On a single-carriageway road, that's difficult. On a motorway when lane 1 is full of trucks and I want to overtake a slow vehicle in lane 2, then I'll do so at 70 if I can pull out safely.

Unfortunately, that usually involves being tailgated by some moron (usually in a large and expensive car) who is irate that I should drive legally.

I'll complete my overtaking and pull in as soon as it's safe to do so, but that's not enough for the I-have-a-right-to-speed brigade.
I don't suffer tailgaters:
a) I'm usually driving fast

I'm sure if I drive at 95 on the mways the only tailgaters I'd see would have blue lights!

I'm not trying to suggest that you are speeding, but I hope you aren't suggsting that if people don't like being tailgated, they should drive at an illegal speed.
b) I just get out of the way, life is too
short to get upset. In the overall picture of my journey
it doesn't matter.

I too will usually get out of the way too (though sometimes that's not reasonably possible), and sigh and let it go. But clear of the wheel, I'll acknowledge it as one of the nastier parts of routine driving :(
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - school boy
Yes but that is only there as common sense, I think it means if they have already pulled out to try and get past.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - james86
As far as I'm concerned if somebody wants to overtake me then that's absolutely fine, as long as they don't attempt to intimidate me or cause a danger to me while they're doing it.

I think I'm fairly good at letting people past me if it's safe to do so, but as someone who spends a lot of time on the motorway sometimes I see incidents which are beyond belief.

A recent case springs to mind on the A64 near York (a dual carriageway) in fairly heavy rush hour traffic. I'm in the outside lane at about 75. There are lots of cars in front of me all doing a similar speed - there's nowhere for me to go. The lane to my left is fairly busy too, everyone going a bit slower. A white van came up very close behind me and started flashing to pass, and stayed as close as he possibly could. I could do nothing - couldn't speed up, and couldn't move left because the lane was too busy. Not that there was any point in him passing because everyone in front of me was going at the same speed I was.

He waited for a gap on the left to open up (within a minute or two), went round me without signalling swearing and shouting as he passed, pulled in dangerously in front of me (thus ruining my nice stopping distance) then I could see him trying to do the same thing to the car in front of me.

The best bit is that within literally 3 minutes of all this, it was his exit and he had to go back to the slower lane and leave the road.

Mad!

If he'd have had a number on I'd have certainly phoned to complain. Also, I always find a good way to get rid of a tailgater is to put your windscreen washer on for a little while, it goes back in the slipstream on to the tailgater and they quickly get the hint!
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - IanJohnson
Happens to me every morning at the moment on the A38 (Weeford to Bassets Pole).

Don't know why they all object to me doing 35 on a piece of country dual carriageway with no streetlights.

If they want to drive at seventy they should have enough awareness to plan ahead so they can overtake, if they can't plan ahead why is it my problem?
Perhaps they are still asleep since they have also missed the signs indicating roadworks, 30mph speed limit, police speed checks and speed cameras!

I don't call the company, I call the Police!
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Adam {P}
Why've you gone back to Imagos Stu?
Why've you gone back to Imagos Stu?

Confusion in this thread with stuartli, adam.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Adam {P}
Ahhh right.

I think you should keep it. It's dead easy to type. Imagos. Just rolls off the fingers.
Ooh good post, I was just conjuring up a finely crafted torrent of invective and then read the last part... :^D
Odd...I quoted IanJohnson's post...
Let me put this a diferent way. Regardless of the fact that by failing to pull over is extremly discourtese and bad driving, Slowing down to iritate the tailgaiter will in the event of an emergency stop land you with a bumper up your boot and an insurance claim and the higher premiums this will generate.

The atitude shown by some is worse than the poor tailgateing van driver driven to distraction by the slowness of the car and probably fully laden and unnlucky enough to be driving a van designed for fuel economy not overtaking speed.

paul
Let me put this a diferent way. Regardless of the fact
that by failing to pull over is extremly discourtese and bad
driving, Slowing down to iritate the tailgaiter will in the event
of an emergency stop land you with a bumper up your
boot

If you've slowed down, there's less chance of having to do the emergency stop, and less chance of being rear-ended if it's all happening at a lower speed. That's why people do it when tailgated.

As for being courteous to tailgaters, that's not something I worry about. Once someone plants their bumper inches from mine and tries to intimidate me out of the way, my concern is safety.
<< Once someone plants their bumper inches from mine ....

Inches? A bit of an exaggeration, I would opine.
--
L\'escargot.
What is this fixation with "slapping"? I take it that you
deem it acceptable for people to hit other people if they
disagree with their driving style? Surely we should concentrate on ridding
the roads of these "unsavoury" characters rather than being intimidated by
them if we "dare" to express displeasure in a non-confrontational way?
To put MY feelings on here, I don't slow down to
"annoy" tailgaters, I get out of their way at the earliest
opportunity. I drive quickly and efficiently, but there are instances, especially
in M-way roadworks, where people tailgate and it's UNACCEPTABLE. These people
DO need to be reported, regardless of what these "ooh life's
tough deal with it I am a big manly rep look
at my paddles" folk say.

Erm.... Who said "slapping" was acceptable?

It is, however, a fact of life that there are nutters out there who carry knives, scaffhold bars and even guns, and I for sure don't want to be the one to tip them over the balance when they're having a bad day...

------------
MoneyMart

> >>
Erm.... Who said "slapping" was acceptable?
It is, however, a fact of life that there are nutters
out there who carry knives, scaffhold bars and even guns, and
I for sure don't want to be the one to tip
them over the balance when they're having a bad day...
------------
MoneyMart

Money Mart has a point here. I once saw an irate pedestrian knock the driver of a Transit pick-up unconscious through the window, in broad daylight in the Euston Road. Made my blood run cold I can tell you. By the way, guess what colour the Transit was?
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Perfection
A prat was trying to push me off the slow moving traffic dual carriageway this morning. Basically the 2 lanes of traffic was moving about 50mph neck to neck. I was on the fast lane and can't possibly going any faster or move to the slow lane, since cars in slow lane and the front cars were moving along with the busy traffic. The prat speed along behind me in excess of 80mph booming down with his headlight flashing..flashing...flashing. I then applied my brakes slowly from 50mph to 25mph The prat then forced himself on the slow lane but still can't get ahead of me, since bothe lanes still have slow moving traffic. He then realise it's wasn't my fault that I was moving 5omph on the fast lane.

That taught him a lesson.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Dalglish
extract from advanced motoring course:

www.worcadvmot10.fsnet.co.uk/tips.html

"14. Tailgating - Do YOU Drive Too closely?

Many of us feel that others follow too closely, and on most days we can see that half do not allow themselves a sufficient safety gap. This leads to many collisions and plaintive claims of "I couldn't help it - he stopped too suddenly"! The Highway Code has a chart of thinking, braking and stopping distances, but these vary with speed, so are difficult to remember and estimate. However, the Code advises allowing, in fast traffic, a time gap of at least two seconds, which gives an increasing distance for faster speeds.
As the vehicle in front passes any marker - road sign, cats-eye etc., try saying "Only a fool breaks the two second rule". If we reach that point whilst still speaking, we are too close. Remember that this is the minimum safe distance only on a dry road - to be at least doubled to four seconds in the wet. Some motorways have chevrons with signs "Keep apart 2 chevrons" but this is only enough at 70mph on dry roads, so we need at least three chevrons when wet. Keeping a safe distance by just easing off the gas when everyone else is braking is a fair indication that we are driving safely.

Less space can mean we have left less than our thinking distance which, at 70 mph, is 70 feet (21 metres) - over 5 car lengths! If there is sharp braking ahead, we will hit the vehicle in front before even thinking about braking! Unfortunately, some drivers overtake and pull in front too soon, and this occurs more often with the 4 second gap in the wet, so we must drop back. However, we can reassure ourselves. Imagine 20 cars parked on the hardshoulder with their driving gaps and estimate how long we would take to pass them at 70mph. Answer? Just seconds - a small delay to pay for safety.

15. Avoiding Tailgating

One problem experienced as we improve our driving is that we become more aware of the shortcomings of others, which why it is often a good idea for partners to share advanced driving courses! The more we adhere to speed limits the more we appear to attract tailgaters. Let us first deal with the potential stress. It will help to remind ourselves that we are in control of our feelings and emotions, and that the driver who is too close behind is probably just ignorant or inattentive and has no personal grudge. We may also consider that, if there were a camera or speed check around the corner, the one behind will be very grateful to us! To maintain some safety, we can gently ease off the speed to increase the gap in front, as we now have to think and plan for the driver behind. If we then foresee a possible need to slow, by gently touching our brake we display brake lights as a warning at first without actually reducing speed. Then, when we do need to brake, we should start early, making it very gradual to allow the following driver time to react. We need to avoid the natural temptation to sharply dab the brakes or use hazard warning lights as this may cause upset to the driver behind and aggravate the situation. If we able to move aside, we could change lanes on a motorway. On a single carriageway road we could consider taking a left turn, but choosing a busy road or place, such as a filling station, just in case followed there. Some will say "Why should we give that driver the privilege of going first?" to which we can reply "Because we will feel better and be safer when he has gone!"
"
<< I then applied my brakes slowly from 50mph to
25mph

It would have taught you a lesson if he had still been doing 80 when he caught up with you doing 25. The lesson would have been that deliberately braking unnecessarily can be dangerous. It's the sort of thing a petulant child would do, not a sensible adult.
--
L\'escargot.
A prat was trying to push me off the slow moving
traffic dual carriageway this morning. Basically the 2 lanes of traffic
was moving about 50mph neck to neck. I was on the
fast lane and can't possibly going any faster or move to
the slow lane, since cars in slow lane and the front
cars were moving along with the busy traffic. The prat speed
along behind me in excess of 80mph booming down with his
headlight flashing..flashing...flashing. I then applied my brakes slowly from 50mph to
25mph The prat then forced himself on the slow lane but
still can't get ahead of me, since bothe lanes still have
slow moving traffic. He then realise it's wasn't my fault that
I was moving 5omph on the fast lane.

It sounds like it's YOU that needs a few lessons mate :

1. There is no such thing as a "fast lane" - there is lane 2 (dual carriageway) or lane 3 (motorway), or middle lane and outside lane.

2. There is no such thing as a "slow lane" - It is lane 1, or the nearside lane, or the inside lane.

3. Slowing down unnecessarily to 25mph is dangerous.

4. Slowing down unnecessarily to 25mph is illegal.

5. Slowing down unnecessarily to 25mpg is stupid.

------------
MoneyMart

Couple of thoughts here -

l'escargot: "Inches? A bit of an exaggeration, I would opine."

On more than one occasion I've had a car so close behind that I can't see their lights. I reckon that inches is the appropriate unit of measurement in that situation. Doesn't seem to make any difference that I'm travelling at (adopt Clarkson-style meaningful glance at speedo) "some" miles an hour.

MoneyMart - I agree with your first two points above, those are absolutely correct. At the same time, don't you think that tailgating is also dangerous, illegal and stupid?

Reflecting a bit on the subject of this thread, I can't really remember being tailgated on a dual carriageway or motorway - as I said before, I'm usually the one doing the overtaking. It only seems to happen on single carriageway roads, in spite of the fact that usually drive at or "fairly close to" (Clarkson again) the speed limit. In fact, I only drive lower than the posted limit when there's a good reason to - kids hanging around, mud on the road, rain, fog, ice, etc. Yet some people seem to find my presence on the road obstructive no matter what speed I drive.

I remember a time when I was driving "with feeling" up a twisty mountain road, when a car came up behind me and positioned itself to within a few feet of the bumper. The driver was evidently very proud of the fact that his lights were working, as he proceeded to demonstrate the fact repeatedly. Naturally, due to this new hazard, I made sure that I slowed to less than the posted limit. When we came to a long straight, I blipped the left indicator, pulled in as far as possible without leaving the road, and gradually slowed until I had reached 40 mph. With a couple of beeps, a lot of revving and an elaborate but eloquent gesture, he overtook, and I continued on my merry way. About five miles later, I passed him just as he started to exchange details with the owner of the car containing his front end. How I laughed.

--
andymc
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Yoby
Returning to top subject, I have phoned up twice to complain about van drivers. Both times been put through to the person in charge of vans etc who were very grateful to know. Gave a feeling of satisfaction I must admit.

On the tailgating front, ignore them if you possibly can - no reaction, drive as you normally would - let them roar past without even a glance. People who drive like this only want to get a reaction out of you - their little game. Don't play and they soon get bored.

Y
>>>> About five miles later, I passed him just as he
started to exchange details with the owner of the car containing
his front end. How I laughed.

I would have stopped and given the other driver my contact details in case he needed corroboration about the tailgaters driving style!
Actually, that reminds me about an incident I had at Birmingham Airport a couple of years ago. I was driving past the drop-off point, when some dipstick pulled straight out in front of me. Naturally after jamming the anchors on I glared at the driver who smirked and flicked me a "V".

How I chuckled at the next roundabout when he pulled straight out in front of a van who t-boned his car in half!

I couldn't resist doing another loop of the ring-road and waved at the driver as he was exchanging details!
------------
MoneyMart

1) Indeed
2) Indeed!
3) Indeed
4) Indeed...
5)Probably

BUT.. "The prat speed
along behind me in excess of 80mph booming down with his
headlight flashing..flashing...flashing."

This is also dangerous. Isn't it? How come you're condemning one type of behaviour but not the other?

Everyone's rushing, rushing, rushing... but you can't force your way ahead in a traffic queue, however cool you think you are, and however much more important your job is than anyone else's. In inverted commas.

Set off earlier. Chill out. Don't drive like an idiot, and that goes for slowies as well as fasties.

That's not aimed at anyone in particular on here, just some good ideas for a longer life and safer, less stressful driving.
Sorry, this was in answer to Moneymart's comments further up the page. STEVIED
To answer all the folks who beleive the slower driver is at fault and those who believe slowing down is wrong here is a question from one of the sample theory tests from DVLA

"You are in a line of traffic. The driver behind you is following very closely. What action should you take?

Mark one answer

1 Ignore the following driver and continue to drive within the speed limit
2 Slow down, gradually increasing the gap between you and the vehicle in front
3 Signal left and wave the following driver past
4 Move over to a position just left of the centre line of the road"

The answer is number 2!
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - Dave E
>>>>To answer all the folks who beleive the slower driver is at fault and those who believe slowing down is wrong here is a question from one of the sample theory tests from DVLA

>>>>"You are in a line of traffic. The driver behind you is following very closely. What action should you take?

>>>>Mark one answer

>>>>1 Ignore the following driver and continue to drive within >>>>the speed limit
>>>>2 Slow down, gradually increasing the gap between you and >>>>the vehicle in front
>>>>3 Signal left and wave the following driver past
>>>>4 Move over to a position just left of the centre line of >>>>the road"

>>>>The answer is number 2!

The logic behind the answer is that as the tailgater is so close, you slowing down will give you more time to react and thus prevent said tailgater from rearending you as they would not have enough time to react if you had to perform an emergency stop. It has a simple ring to it does'nt it?

Question 6.126 of The Official Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles more or less says exactly that. You need to give the person more time to react. Speeding up is exactly what they want you to do and furthermore by you speeding up, do you think that would stop a tailgater hanging off your rear bumper?

Slowing down may very well infuriate him/her but at least you will not be endangering your own position.

Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - SteVee
>>The answer is number 2!<<

Yes, but this is just to give some extra space - then you should just resume the same speed as the traffic in front

Yoby wrote:
>>On the tailgating front, ignore them if you possibly can - no reaction, drive as you normally would - let them roar past without even a glance. People who drive like this only want to get a reaction out of you - their little game. Don't play and they soon get bored.<<
I totally agree - don't get involved.

I would not try to impose my idea of what's right, wrong, safe or illegal on other road users. I don't get intimidated (maybe annoyed), but i find all this "I'll teach you a lesson" stuff rather childish, and very much against the idea of defensive driving.
Hear hear SV.
Tailgater yet again, should I complain? - paulb {P}
I used to brake-test these people, until the point at which it dawned on me that if they DID hit me, irrespective of where the liability for the accident lay I'd still be stuck with a bent car, possibly a fat lip (or worse) as well, given some people's lack of self-control these days, and to what good?

Nowadays I just remember an excellent piece of advice I picked up on this forum, usable in any situation where somebody else on the road is being a PFD: Whatever his/her problem is, why do you want to be a part of it?