What would our motoring forebears think? - Sofa Spud
What would most surprise our motoring forebears about today's motoring scene.

Let's take a mythical motoring forebear common to all of us, Bill Burper (please no cartoon depictions, for Heaven's sake!!!). Born in, say, 1890 he had a long motoring career until he gave up driving in 1970, dying three years later. He served in the army during the first world war as a lorry driver and then worked as a mechanic before starting his own garage business. His last car was a 1966 Rover P6 2000.

Bill Burper lived long enough to ride in his son's early Range Rover and his daugher's Morris Marina. He was known to have worn a flat cap and string-backed driving gloves during the late 1950's when he owned a two-tone grey Jaguar Mk 9.

If Bill Burper were to return to life what would surprise him most about the vehicles / roads / drivers today?

Cheers, Sofa Spud
What would our motoring forebears think? - Happy Blue!
Reliability, lack of items to do at service time (e.g. grease nipples) and overall speed of cars today with low emmissions.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
What would our motoring forebears think? - commerdriver
The lack of noise from cars or the number of cars on the road would both be a surprise.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Citivanvin
Probably, the number of foreign vehicles on the road compared to in his twilight years.
What would our motoring forebears think? - mss1tw
ECU's.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Round The Bend
""overall speed of cars today with low emmissions."

Agree the speed comment but don't think that emissions would be the first thing on Billy B's mind.

Complexity of road junctions, congestion and lack of courtesy would fox him though.
_______
IanS
I was thinking as I invented Bill Burper that he'd be most surprised to see:

The number of diesel cars.

The number of SUV's.

The complete absence of a British-owned volume motor industry.

That VW survived, rather than going under, wedded to increasingly hopeless updates of the aircooled Beetle theme.

That manual gearboxes are still the norm.

That Routemaster buses were still in regular service in London until a month or two ago.

That Bristol and Morgan are still making cars little different from the ones that were old even when he was alive.

That many of the projected motorways were never built.

cheers, Sofa Spud

What would our motoring forebears think? - Lud
Great stuff SS. What he would hate most is the much higher traffic densities though.
What would our motoring forebears think? - JH
Lud,
although traffic densities are much higher today, it was the norm, when I was a kid and going on holiday, to buy an ice cream on the A1 while stuck in traffic. Plus ca change and all that.

JH
What would our motoring forebears think? - smoke
Speed and power from such small engines, relative silence at speeds, people talking to themselves openly (i.e. on hands free ;-)),
What would our motoring forebears think? - helicopter
The mythical Bills lifespan almost exactly parallels that of mu father (1904 -1969).

Bill drove Rovers , Jaguars and Austins as did my father.

If he returned to life he would be absolutely amazed at the number of non -British made everyday vehicles, particularly German and Japanese on the road and their reputation for reliability. The two world wars he had been through coloured his attitude to those nations and he was a proud man.

In the late 60's and early 70's the foreign vehicles I can remember were a Renault Dauphine run by the school head ( completely put to shame by the Bentley Continental run by the Music teacher). The Maths teacher had a Messerschmidt 3 wheeler and the odd Volvo Amazon was appearing among the local farmers. I remember a Fiat Multipla owned by one of the neighbours but Japanese. These were a very sight in my part of the world at that time.

He would also have been amazed at the cost of his transport.

Even I find that my present car cost me more than my first mortgage taken out in the early seventies..
What would our motoring forebears think? - helicopter

---Japanese. These were a very sight in my part of the world at that time.---

Finger trouble - Should have read Japanese cars were a very rare sight
What would our motoring forebears think? - Big Bad Dave
Bendy buses.

Engines that are hidden by a neat plastic silver cover

Cheap air fare

Hummers

Spinners

Modding

Low-cut jeans and visible g-strings
What would our motoring forebears think? - nick
He would also have been amazed at the cost of his
transport.
Even I find that my present car cost me more than
my first mortgage taken out in the early seventies..

Yes, he would, the LOW cost relative to average earnings. Cars have never been cheaper in real terms and I believe fuel is about the same. Perhaps he would find the cost of insurance for young drivers amazing, I certainly do.
What would our motoring forebears think? - SteVee
the japanse did learn to build big bikes.
Triumph died and were reborn.
you can expect to walk away from a car crash (doesn't mean you will of course)
150bhp in a small hatchback is considered insufficient by some.
When you hit the brake pedal, the car really does stop.
Satellite Navigation.
DVDs for your back seat passengers
How easy it is to buy a new car

The main line train you commute on was built by Siemens
What would our motoring forebears think? - AR-CoolC
electric everything even on the cheapest of cars.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Stargazer {P}
>If Bill Burper were to return to life what would surprise him most about the vehicles / roads / drivers today?

The number of cars/household

Reliability of modern cars

What would our motoring forebears think? - Tomo
After going out to have some fun as he used to in the Jag, he'd have collected a string of charges. Dammit.
With a 12-year-old copper addressing him by his first name without permission...
What would our motoring forebears think? - NowWheels
I suspect that a drive from 80 years ago would be wondering:

* why we still wiggle a stick and push a pedal to change gear

* why we drive cars that are so hard to see out of (they'd probably suspect that glass had become a scarce commodity)

* how on earth our cars need so litle maintenance
What would our motoring forebears think? - Adam {P}
* why we still wiggle a stick and push a pedal to change gear

Because it's fun

* why we drive cars that are so hard to see out of (they'd probably suspect that glass had become a scarce commodity)

Because they look cool

* how on earth our cars need so litle maintenance

Pass
What would our motoring forebears think? - PhilW
I think it might be the sheer number of vehicles on the roads. I remember my dad telling me (and there may be an element of exaggeration here, fading memory etc) that when he was growing up in the early 1930s in a sizable village in Yorkshire (maybe 3-4000 people?) that he could only remember a few people who had cars - the local doctor (to visit patients - now there's a thing!- in other local villages), the vet (to go to outlying farms) and his dad who was the district roads surveyor (posh eh?). Some had motorbikes (and sidecars) including my other grandfather, who was a bootmaker and needed to get to the local "gentry" to fit their riding boots. Otherwise, for most of the time, people stayed/worked in the village, went on holiday (if they could afford it, which wasn't many) by "omnibus" or train and most local deliveries etc were done by horse and cart. Mind you, I can still remember our milk being delivered by horse and cart and I'm very young(!!!). Weren't trucks limited to 20 mph until recently??!!
--
Phil
What would our motoring forebears think? - Aretas
Windscreen wipers that don't stop when you push the throttle.

As an aside, I was recently looking at a 1905 brochure and the price list showed the doors as an extra.
What would our motoring forebears think? - cockle {P}
Wasn't that much different when I was a young whippersnapper in the early 60's, certainly not in our area. As you say doctor, chemist, vet had their cars as a bolt on to their profession but by the 60's more of the tradesmen were using cars and vans, milkman, greengrocer, butcher, etc., many of them had learnt to drive while serving in the Forces and realised that they could justify the expense as a benefit to their businesses.

My father was regarded as a bit extravagant as he had a van for deliveries and he also owned a car! People used to ask how he could justify the expense. He ran the only off licence covering three villages and used to employ a delivery driver to deliver to all the local farms and outlying regular customers.
Certainly a different world, I used to accompany our deliveries out to the various farms at harvest time were we used to go and set up a barrel of mild where the labourers were going to stop for lunch and go and collect the empty in the afernoon, the farmers used to provide two pints of ale for lunch as part of the wages!

Our street then probably contained a dozen parked vehicles at most it's now a street you have difficulty getting down due to vehicles parked both sides for its entire length.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Hugo {P}
I think our friend Bill would be quite perplexed and confused by all the new methods of traffic enforcement, both present and proposed.

He would be surprised at drivers' behaviour (and stupidity) on our roads.

Complexity of modern cars would take him by surpise.

On the plus side, he would be impressed with.

Performance
Economy
Reliability (mentioned here a few times)
What would our motoring forebears think? - Altea Ego
Emissions? What are they?

Global warming? Whats that?

How the hell did you get that woman in that tiny little box, and if she is as bad at reading maps as your mother then there is no way I am turning left in 100 yards!

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What would our motoring forebears think? - Pugugly {P}
Two Diesel things.

A Jaguar Diesel.

And a Beemer with a derv engine that ca rip the heart out of any petrol engined pretender.
If Bill Burper lived near London he'd have been familiar with something approaching current levels of congestion!

By the way, I've just read that AUDI are contesting this year's Le Mans 24 hour race with diesel engined cars. Not the first Le Mans diesel - there was the Judd/Caterpillar a year or two ago which ran OK until the gearbox failed and another diesel in the early 50's.

cheers, SS
What would our motoring forebears think? - bell boy
If Bill Burper lived,

he would be shocked that we can put a man on the moon and talk on an internet thingy rather than the phone
that we still use the ottoman theory to propel vehicles,
that bits of rubber still clean windscreens,
that poor heat exchangers still heat the interior of vehicles,
that we put air in rubber things to keep journeys smooth (tyres pneumatic ),
that cars are still stopped by little pistons in a calipers/cylinder and are controlled by hydraulic fluid running in little pipes.

i could go on ................but its late...........
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
What would our motoring forebears think? - deepwith
All the above plus "street furniture" and signposts/road paint. My Pa (1920-2005) was reputed to have driven around Eaton Square and Sloane Square one evening .... on the pavement, in about 1948. His father (1860-1935) would have been amazed at just about everything modern as his godson informed me that he considered the road his own and allowed his sons to drive the car from an early age.
If Bill Burper lived near London he'd have been familiar with
something approaching current levels of congestion!

>

Not quite, from what I remember. Streets round here are now completely lined with parked cars both sides, and it can be hard to find a resident's slot late at night. Very different from the late 50s and early 60s. Density didn't reach its present level I wd say until early 70s. Of course it has all been made far more intense by the strange fashion for restricting traffic flow among local politicians. Those responsible deserve the last circle of hell, with El Qa'eda and the Animal Liberation Front.
What would our motoring forebears think? - mrmender
If Bill had been in his daughters morris marina he would have thought that things had gone backwards even in 1970
What would our motoring forebears think? - Manatee
My grandfather drove lorries in the 20s and 30s, but he was always an 'early adopter' where technology was of benefit to him and he would readily have accepted most of the advances. He might not have seen the point of electric everything where a simple mechanical solution would have been cheaper, easier to mend, and probably more reliable. I think he woluld have been wowed by sat nav, because I am - I wonder at it every time I use it.

I also think he would find himself short of things to maintain - he was a great oiler, greaser and adjuster. On the other hand I'm sure he never lamented the passing of the need to stop and put fuller's earth on the clutch every few miles when it was slipping under a heavy load!
What would our motoring forebears think? - hillman
Taxi driver answering mobile phone and doing a U turn in front of him to go to pick up a passenger. It happened to me yesterday
'Damn feller fiddling with his hearing aid... damaged his ears with jazz I shouldn't wonder...'
What would our motoring forebears think? - doug_r1
Three big differences would be lack of rust on just about any car today, especially after a having a Marina, HIDs, and the grip level of even cheap tyres.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Clanger
The demonisation of the drink-driver, whereas the expression at the pub or at a party "Have one for the road" was accepted, even welcomed.

The ability to buy motor accessories, motor insurance and even a complete car using a network of devices resembling an unfortunate cross between a TV, a typewriter and a plastic mixing bowl, without ever talking to another human being.

The universal acceptance of front wheel drive on ordinary cars and vans, previously only seen on eccentric French vehicles.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
What would our motoring forebears think? - Tomo
In Bill's day there were only three bears.........
What would our motoring forebears think? - El Hacko
too much metal ... they'd wonder if glass was rationed these days - so little of it and thus, far less vision, particularly rear. Some "forward thinking" designers have created claustrophobia on wheels e.g. Audi TT.
What would our motoring forebears think? - Avant
Nice one Tomo. Bill B probably wouldn't approve of instant porridge either.

Even in old age, as a mechanic he could have changed plugs and points on his Rover 2000. He'd miss using his skills on modern engines with everything depending on ECUs, and he'd blame them, in ripe language, for the things that go wrong. He'd probably disagree that modern cars were more reliable and extol the advantages of a service every 1,000 miles.
What would our motoring forebears think? - DSLRed
I reckon he would be surprised:-

a. With the fact that cars don't seem to rust any more

b. With the fact that he would be seen as a bit of a monster if he drove home from the pub in his jag with 10 pints in his belly.

c. With the fact that he can buy a little electrc box, stick it on the windscreen and it can show him a moving map with an arrow pointing to where he is, and a voice telling him where to go. That amazes my mother and she's still with us, thankfully.

d. With the fact that if he puts his foot down in his jag a box at the side of the road will take his picture and he'll be fined.

Overall, I would say that old Bill would be more than a little disappointed with motoring life today - he would suggest that it is all not as much fun as when he was around.

What would our motoring forebears think? - Navara Van man
Suprised by:

The high cost of fuel

The idea and prevelance of speed cameras

The cost of road tax

The money raising atitude of the police

The incompetent goverment we curently have

The wide Choice of cars available

The comfort of modern cars

Air con the norm

electric windows

congestion charge

two severn bridges

Price of crossing the severn bridges

The number of people who wont drink after a pint

The speed of everyday cars

Comfort of modern seats

The convenince of satnav
What would our motoring forebears think? - Avant
"Comfort of modern seats"

Not so sure about that one - the Rover 2000 seats were very good, and the Triumph 1300 and 2000 even better. Bets of all perhaps were those splendid divided-bench front seats that 1950s Austins had - as good as anything I've sat on since.
What would our motoring forebears think? - MoneyMart
Slightly off topic, but having lived into the 1970's, he will probably wonder where Concorde is, and why we have taken a gigantic step backwards and why it now takes more than twice the time to cross the atlantic.

humph.
------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle
What would our motoring forebears think? - steveincornwall
Streets full of parked cars and garages full of junk.
Steve